E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2013, 05:25 PM   #1
Alaska

My Ride: E46 + other junk
If you HAD to trade your M3, what would trade it for?

I currently own a 2000 323i which i'll be putting up for sale locally in the next week or two. I have roughly $25k in the bank that my wife and I have been setting aside for another sports car and my plan was/is to pick a used E46 when I head to the lower 48 in Aug. My question is, if you had to pick something else besides an M3, used around $25k (give or take), sports car with a back seat (HAS to have a back seat), what would you get? Doesn't matter the year/make/model. Just looking for suggestions and your valued opinions as current M3 owners.

Normally it wouldn't be such a big deal but being in central Alaska, my options are EXTREMELY limited so what ever I get, i'm stuck with for a while. I do have other cars I can drive in the winter (or when ever) so FWD, RWD, AWD doesn't matter too much.

The other options i've looked into were an NSX (We previously owned one about 5 years ago), Viper, and a Supra. But again, $25k is my semi firm budget..

I do LOVE me some E46 M3, but I don't want to miss anything I hadn't thought of. Ideas?

Last edited by Alaska; 06-11-2013 at 06:06 PM.
Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:36 PM   #2
cak323i
Modded ///Member

My Ride: ///M3 & 330i ZHP
If you're going to be in Alaska for a bit then I would get this

good passenger room inside and fun drivability for you at the same time
2004 TiAg ///M l OEM CSL interior door panels l OEM CSL bootlid l Scorza CSL center console | Navigation | LCM s/w 4.5 triple blink | OEM black interior retrofit | BC Racing BR Coilovers l BMW Performance Carbon Fiber strut bar & Short Shift Kit l Gruppe M carbon kevlar CAI l BMW iPod Integration l Alu Tech interior Trim l Lit F10 ///M5 Shift Knob l Umnitza Orion V4 A/E's l Status Gruppe one piece cf CSL lip | BBS CH & ARC-8 wheel sets

Last edited by cak323i; 06-11-2013 at 05:37 PM.
cak323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:59 PM   #3
Alaska

While I do agree with the concept, i'm looking for something a little more sporty. I already have a couple winter vehicles, so the M3 was to be my toy that I'll really only have a short couple months to enjoy. I don't plan on being here much longer though. My 2 year contract is up in Feb so I can either resign a new contract or head south where i'll most likely end up in the San Antonio area (home). Not bringing any cars back with me though. Selling everything I have here and flying down with just the shirts on our backs
Old 06-11-2013, 06:02 PM   #4
cak323i
Modded ///Member

If that's the case then go get the ///M and enjoy it while you are up there
2004 TiAg ///M l OEM CSL interior door panels l OEM CSL bootlid l Scorza CSL center console | Navigation | LCM s/w 4.5 triple blink | OEM black interior retrofit | BC Racing BR Coilovers l BMW Performance Carbon Fiber strut bar & Short Shift Kit l Gruppe M carbon kevlar CAI l BMW iPod Integration l Alu Tech interior Trim l Lit F10 ///M5 Shift Knob l Umnitza Orion V4 A/E's l Status Gruppe one piece cf CSL lip | BBS CH & ARC-8 wheel sets
Old 06-11-2013, 06:11 PM   #5
Alaska

^^ LOL.. Too easy.

Another option I had thought about is an LS1 swapped RX7 FD but one of the guys that works here already owns one (though it lives in FL where his 2nd home is). We talk about it often (I love a clean FD)so I can't copy him.. Until I get back south again.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:13 PM   #6
cak323i
Modded ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska View Post
^^ LOL.. Too easy.
Problem is that I wouldn't trade my ///M for anything. I enjoy it too much. I have my ZHP for a daily and get to take the ///M out whenever I want so you can say the ///M is like a toy for me
Old 06-11-2013, 06:30 PM   #7
Moosecakes

My Ride: 02' SMG M3
Another e46M3

Last edited by Moosecakes; 06-11-2013 at 06:30 PM.
Moosecakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:36 PM   #8
wilsel

My Ride: 05 AW M3 ZCP
Nothing in that price range i'd rather have, that also has a back seat.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:12 AM   #9
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Nope. Can't think of anything.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:37 AM   #10
always-there

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330I

Why don't you invest it in the m3, boost it and keep it. Upgrade everything?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
always-there is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:01 AM   #11
328isawesome

My Ride: Batmobile

Use it as a down payment for an Audi R8 v10, it's got the Lamborghini gallardo engine for a fraction of Lamborghini price. A real bargain.

328isawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:02 AM   #12
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.

Another M3.

Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:20 AM   #13
Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDM-E46 Enthusiast View Post
Why don't you invest it in the m3, boost it and keep it. Upgrade everything?

That's heavy on my list. Buying one in the 15 range, then putting 10 in it right off the bat OR finding one that's already been done correctly for roughly the same price range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328isawesome View Post
Use it as a down payment for an Audi R8 v10, it's got the Lamborghini gallardo engine for a fraction of Lamborghini price. A real bargain.

I LOOOOVE me some R8 and believe me, I will own one some day. The problem here is I don't do car loans and the wifey and I agreed to keep the sports car under 25 cash while we're still in AK. Maybe when I get back south again though!
Old 06-12-2013, 10:50 AM   #14
DSilk56

My Ride: M-3 Convertible
The only 4 seat vehicle that comes close to the M3 is the Porsche 911, but there are several issues. First, it isn't really a 4 seater, unless 2 of the 4 are small children. Second, 911's are more expensive, so a car that can be had for $25,000 is going to be older, and isn't going to come close to the M3's performance. Finally, 911's are expensive to maintain and repair (My brother has had 2 Porsches), even compared to the M3.

Are there other 4 seaters that are fun to drive? Of course. The Mazda RX-8 is a blast to drive, but is a slug compared to the M3. The VW R32 is also a blast, but again won't come close to M3 performance. Mercedes Benz makes some fast cars (usually AMG's), but they aren't as much fun to drive. The Audi TTS and S5 are quite fast, and might be fun (I haven't driven them yet), but you aren't going to find one for $25,000 (they are too new).

Last edited by DSilk56; 06-12-2013 at 10:51 AM.
DSilk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:59 AM   #15
Alaska

^^ Excellent points! I had considered the 911 as well, but just as you said, the price range for something comparable to the M can't be done on my budget. And yes, the reason I want a back seat is for my kids (4 and 1 years old).

And just as some Geewiz info, after being to a few SEMA shows, I've grown pretty fond of the Porsche Panamera (modified.. stock is ugly IMO) but at that price, i'd MUCH prefer an R8 or GTR. Not that it matters at all in this thread, just tossing that out there for no specific reason
Old 06-12-2013, 11:14 AM   #16
Arock1092

My Ride: Bmw M3

If i could do it again.. I would snag the 93-98 supra or 93 rx-7.!.. Both are not only rare but are also fast and furasious!!

Arock1092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:20 AM   #17
Alaska

^^ Please share your details on WHY you would do this? What is it that makes you like them over the M? I get the fact they're rare which is a +1 for me too, but not super important. Given that im in central AK, anything sporty is rare (and i'm not bringing anything back south when/if I leave).
Old 06-12-2013, 11:37 AM   #18
Arock1092

My Ride: Bmw M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska View Post
^^ Please share your details on WHY you would do this? What is it that makes you like them over the M? I get the fact they're rare which is a +1 for me too, but not super important. Given that im in central AK, anything sporty is rare (and i'm not bringing anything back south when/if I leave).
Honestly.. I have always been a fan of both those cars.. Both can be made to go just as fast if not faster than an ///m for less.. Aswell as they are just more customizable overall.. Dont get me wrong i love my ///m3 but you cant do much to it considering it came from germany perfect already.. Then again the supra and rx7 were made for the street..///m is always track 1st, so theyre 2 diff worlds when you think about it, jus my 2cents.

Arock1092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:51 AM   #19
DSilk56

My Ride: M-3 Convertible
I love the third generation RX-7, but keep in mind that it seats only 2. Moreover, as will be the case with most cars from the 90's and before, the A/C systems still used freon, which may no longer be widely available. That may not be an issue in Alaska. It is in Florida!
DSilk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:42 PM   #20
qualicas

My Ride: 2002 M3
Have a look at a 2004 to 2007 Cadillac CTSV. Seats 5 people with luggage. 400hp LS6 or LS2 engine excellent handling.
Only issue is rear differential so do not drag race. I have a 2006 V, a 2002 M3, a 97 M3 and a 2010 135i.
Plus parts are available anywhere there is a GM dealership.
(Almost forgot, I will soon be finished a E36 LSX swap so I am very familiar with both brands.)

Last edited by qualicas; 06-15-2013 at 11:44 PM.
qualicas is offline   Reply With Quote