E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-30-2013, 10:55 AM   #1
Ebonylycan

My Ride: 05' M3 Vert, 09' 4S
Smile Vanos Replacement & Valve Adjustment

I have a 2005 and have never needed a valve adjustment until now. I did the regular checks and at 123,779 km it was due. While there they checked the vanos as I was hearing knocking @ the 3000 rpm mark. 2 days later she rides like new. The low end torque has increased noticibly and she is much smoother. Anyone who hesitates shouldn't. When I called Parkview BMW for antifreeze I asked the cost of a vanos and hub. He giggled and told me to go to dr vanos. We purchased these cars for a reason; take care of them.
Ebonylycan is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:10 PM   #2
xsxpxhx

My Ride: 2002 M3
So what can we do as a precaution for VANOS? Should we replace them? just the hub? I have been researching this the whole day and Im hearing everything from, just replacing the hub, changing the O rings? Im greatly concerned about this and I rather do somethign as a precaution. Or shoudl I jsut wait until (God Forbid) my Vanos fails?
xsxpxhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:50 AM   #3
being3
Modded ///Member

My Ride: Turbo M3 7168 27PSI
Send a message via Skype™ to being3
Vanos Replacement & Valve Adjustment

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsxpxhx View Post
So what can we do as a precaution for VANOS? Should we replace them? just the hub? I have been researching this the whole day and Im hearing everything from, just replacing the hub, changing the O rings? Im greatly concerned about this and I rather do somethign as a precaution. Or shoudl I jsut wait until (God Forbid) my Vanos fails?
If ur mechanically inclined or know someone who is or a good mechanic rebuild the Vanos urself. Get rid of the rattle and I believe a better solution than dr Vanos and a lot cheaper. Excellent detailed instructions on Raj's web site. About $400 all in total after core charge refund.

http://www.beisansystems.com/

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by being3; 06-01-2013 at 01:52 AM.
being3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:02 PM   #4
Ebonylycan

We paid top dollar for our vehicles. Of course we can decide to purchase lower quality parts etc etc. I am just not sure if saving a few dollars is the right way to go. Each owner must decide what makes sense to them. Look, I paid upwards of $78,000 for my car and in order for her to perform the way it was intended I must keep up with the maintenance as I just put on my 2nd set of Michelin Super sports so I can keep her cornering. Again, your choice but the risk is far too great to save a few hundred.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:18 PM   #5
jeffesaurusrex

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebonylycan View Post
We paid top dollar for our vehicles. Of course we can decide to purchase lower quality parts etc etc. I am just not sure if saving a few dollars is the right way to go. Each owner must decide what makes sense to them. Look, I paid upwards of $78,000 for my car and in order for her to perform the way it was intended I must keep up with the maintenance as I just put on my 2nd set of Michelin Super sports so I can keep her cornering. Again, your choice but the risk is far too great to save a few hundred.
If you are referring to rebuilding the VANOS as being a lower quality or shortcut fix you are misinformed. I don't have an M3 but I have replaced VANOS on an e39. Not only was it a simple fix, but the besian seals are made of a better quality than the OEM material. It's downright wasteful to replace the entire unit at 10 times the cost (honestly probably way more) when all it needs is a seal. That's akin to replacing an entire engine because it needs new piston rings.

Last edited by jeffesaurusrex; 06-01-2013 at 09:20 PM.
jeffesaurusrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:32 PM   #6
Ebonylycan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffesaurusrex View Post
If you are referring to rebuilding the VANOS as being a lower quality or shortcut fix you are misinformed. I don't have an M3 but I have replaced VANOS on an e39. Not only was it a simple fix, but the besian seals are made of a better quality than the OEM material. It's downright wasteful to replace the entire unit at 10 times the cost (honestly probably way more) when all it needs is a seal. That's akin to replacing an entire engine because it needs new piston rings.
Perhaps. I am in medicine not automotive parts. But I thought the dr vanos parts where cryogenic treated which makes them stronger. Correct me if I am mistaken. I also have a 2009 4s and when I am told to replace parts by my professional I again follow their advice.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:49 PM   #7
intelone

My Ride: e46 M3
Quote:
Someone is drinking Dr. Vanos coolaid. Stick with Besian. Raj solutions are more thorough, better, and way less expensive. Dr. Vano wants $1350 for vanos solenoid, solenoid valves, and modified oil pump as a package. Besian has an upgraded vanos solenoid ($150), valves seals ($80), and modified oil pump ($150). For about $400 from Beisan will have a way better vanos solution than Dr. Vanos', and for about $1k less.

As for vanos rattle, Dr. Vanos wants $200 per splined shafted gear. That's $400 to get rid of the rattle. Besian solution is $80.

As for hub are concerned, you can go with turbotoy, and forgoe an upgraded oil pump disc.

Last edited by intelone; 06-01-2013 at 09:50 PM.
intelone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:12 PM   #8
braaang

My Ride: E46 M3
re the hub, the modified oil pump disc is there to address the root cause of the problem. so with that replaced, no reason to upgrade exhaust hub imo.
braaang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:32 PM   #9
being3
Modded ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by braaang View Post
re the hub, the modified oil pump disc is there to address the root cause of the problem. so with that replaced, no reason to upgrade exhaust hub imo.
Exactly

Old 06-13-2013, 01:05 PM   #10
Cbaty08

My Ride: '06 M3 SMG ZCP
I also saw turbotoy's post on the vanos issue.. and just wanted to say thanks for the info guys.

I just picked up an '06 ZCP with 115K on her and I think I should do this before it's too late!
Cbaty08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 02:49 PM   #11
Ebonylycan

Cbaty08, good descision.

The forums are a great source for information, but remember to take (it) for what it is; a forum. Often I have patients who come in quoting something they read or something someone told them on a medical forum which is completley false or sometimes dangerous.

Knowledge is good, if the source is from people in the know. Again I am no mechanic but if saving a few hundred in order to get a 'cheaper' part is your priorty perhaps leasing a new model every 3 years is a better bet. Or simply this is not the manufacturer for you.
Old 01-02-2014, 05:19 PM   #12
Cbaty08

Quote:
Cbaty08, good descision.

The forums are a great source for information, but remember to take (it) for what it is; a forum. Often I have patients who come in quoting something they read or something someone told them on a medical forum which is completley false or sometimes dangerous.

Knowledge is good, if the source is from people in the know. Again I am no mechanic but if saving a few hundred in order to get a 'cheaper' part is your priorty perhaps leasing a new model every 3 years is a better bet. Or simply this is not the manufacturer for you.
Well, I havern't done this yet, but I still plan to.

I just got GT1/DIS SW and I am going to test my baby out before I take the jump.
Old 01-02-2014, 05:34 PM   #13
Ebonylycan

Great idea. Should save you hundreds. How much and where did you purchase if you don't mind me asking.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:19 AM   #14
Cbaty08

Quote:
Great idea. Should save you hundreds. How much and where did you purchase if you don't mind me asking.
Well, I was reading and reading forums on the issue, when I learned about the TRUE reset with this SW, and some forum member (can't even remember where or which forum I read this on) pointed to this ebay seller..

It comes with all the SW and (what looks to be) a quality cable, all for like 40 bucks.

Sounds too good to be true, right? Well... we'll find out! It appears that others have had success, and the most difficulties I read about really only had to do with getting the actual SW installed; luckily, I'm a computer guy!

I'll let you know how it goes as soon as I get to it.

Here is the auction link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/271182362979...84.m1497.l2649

The seller is bmwfanatiq
Old 01-03-2014, 03:10 PM   #15
being3
Modded ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbaty08 View Post
Well, I was reading and reading forums on the issue, when I learned about the TRUE reset with this SW, and some forum member (can't even remember where or which forum I read this on) pointed to this ebay seller..

It comes with all the SW and (what looks to be) a quality cable, all for like 40 bucks.

Sounds too good to be true, right? Well... we'll find out! It appears that others have had success, and the most difficulties I read about really only had to do with getting the actual SW installed; luckily, I'm a computer guy!

I'll let you know how it goes as soon as I get to it.

Here is the auction link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/271182362979...84.m1497.l2649

The seller is bmwfanatiq
I have this and works fine... U need a powerful laptop... As it uses emulation software to run some of the software... Also it does not support windows 8 and up... Inpa is fine but the emulation software doesn't work unless u pay $200 to buy it.

Old 01-03-2014, 03:19 PM   #16
taylor192

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by braaang View Post
That's the problem, it is all just opinion at this point.

We know the exhaust hub tabs break due to repeated banging due to the slack in the oil pump disc holes. Making the holes smaller reduces the slack, yet it doesn't turn back time. Those tabs have taken a beating and may eventually break even with less slack.

While we speculate a broken tab won't fall out of the smaller holes of the Besian oil pump disc, no-one has proven it. We know the tabs don't break off cleanly, so there is no guarantee the smaller holes will contain a tab that breaks off oddly.

The $150 oil pump disc is tempting when compared to $800+ for the TT exhaust hub, yet at least we know if the TT exhaust hub tabs break off they are not going to grenade your engine.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:25 PM   #17
choxor

My Ride: JDM
I have the beisan pump disk. Plan on getting a TT hub after a while.

fwiw at 80k miles both my tabs and disk looked good.

Last edited by choxor; 01-03-2014 at 03:26 PM.
choxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:36 PM   #18
Cbaty08

Quote:
Originally Posted by being3 View Post
I have this and works fine... U need a powerful laptop... As it uses emulation software to run some of the software... Also it does not support windows 8 and up... Inpa is fine but the emulation software doesn't work unless u pay $200 to buy it.

Thanks for the heads up. Luckily I do have a powerful laptop!
Old 01-24-2014, 07:14 PM   #19
hisport

My Ride: 01 M3 Vert
Older thread, but did you get the DIS tool (EBAY $35 cable bundle) to work??

Tks, john
hisport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:26 PM   #20
xsxpxhx

My Ride: 2002 M3
I live in Los Angeles, and I am trying to find a mechanic to do the Besian solution. AND I CANT FIND ONE THAT WANTS TO DO IT!! Can anyone recommend me a person in the Los Angeles area? PM please. Thank you all.
xsxpxhx is offline   Reply With Quote