E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:32 PM   #1
Act of God

My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
(IMHO) Coulter Nails it on the Amnesty Issue

http://www.anncoulter.com/columns/2013-06-12.html
Quote:
IF THE GOP IS THIS STUPID, IT DESERVES TO DIE
June 12, 2013

Democrats terrify Hispanics into thinking they'll be lynched if they vote for Republicans, and then turn around and taunt Republicans for not winning a majority of the Hispanic vote.

This line of attack has real resonance with our stupidest Republicans. (Proposed Republican primary targets: Sens. Kelly Ayotte, Jeff Flake, Lindsey Graham and Marco Rubio.) Which explains why Republicans are devoting all their energy to slightly increasing their share of the Hispanic vote while alienating everyone else in America.

It must be fun for liberals to manipulate Republicans into focusing on hopeless causes. Why don't Democrats waste their time trying to win the votes of gun owners?

As journalist Steve Sailer recently pointed out, the Hispanic vote terrifying Republicans isn't that big. It actually declined in 2012. The Census Bureau finally released the real voter turnout numbers from the last election, and the Hispanic vote came in at only 8.4 percent of the electorate -- not the 10 percent claimed by the pro-amnesty crowd.

The sleeping giant of the last election wasn't Hispanics; it was elderly black women, terrified of media claims that Republicans were trying to suppress the black vote and determined to keep the first African-American president in the White House.

Contrary to everyone's expectations, 10 percent more blacks voted in 2012 compared to 2008, even beating white voters, the usual turnout champions. Eligible black voters turned out at rate of 66.2 percent, compared to 64.1 percent of eligible white voters. Only 48 percent of all eligible Hispanic voters went to the polls.

No one saw this coming, which is probably why Gallup had Romney up by 5 points before Hurricane Sandy hit, and up by 1 point in its last pre-election poll after the hurricane.
Only two groups voted in larger numbers in 2012 compared to 2008: blacks aged 45-64, and blacks over the age of 65 -- mostly elderly black women.

In raw numbers, nearly twice as many blacks voted as Hispanics, and nine times as many whites voted as Hispanics. (Ninety-eight million whites, 18 million blacks and 11 million Hispanics.)

So, naturally, the Republican Party's entire battle plan going forward is to win slightly more votes from 8.4 percent of the electorate by giving them something they don't want.

As Byron York has shown, even if Mitt Romney had won 70 percent of the Hispanic vote, he still would have lost. No Republican presidential candidate in at least 50 years has won even half of the Hispanic vote.

In the presidential election immediately after Reagan signed an amnesty bill in 1986, the Republican share of the Hispanic vote actually declined from 37 percent to 30 percent -- and that was in a landslide election for the GOP. Combined, the two Bush presidents averaged 32.5 percent of the Hispanic vote -- and they have Hispanics in their family Christmas cards.

John McCain, the nation's leading amnesty proponent, won only 31 percent of the Hispanic vote, not much more than anti-amnesty Romney's 27 percent.
Amnesty is a gift to employers, not employees.

The (pro-amnesty) Pew Research Hispanic Center has produced poll after poll showing that Hispanics don't care about amnesty. In a poll last fall, Hispanic voters said they cared more about education, jobs and health care than immigration. They even care more about the federal budget deficit than immigration! (To put that in perspective, the next item on their list of concerns was "scratchy towels.")

Also, note that Pew asked about "immigration," not "amnesty." Those Hispanics who said they cared about immigration might care about it the way I care about it -- by supporting a fence and E-Verify.

Who convinced Republicans that Hispanic wages aren't low enough and what they really need is an influx of low-wage workers competing for their jobs?

Maybe the greedy businessmen now running the Republican Party should talk with their Hispanic maids sometime. Ask Juanita if she'd like to have seven new immigrants competing with her for the opportunity to clean other people's houses, so that her wages can be dropped from $20 an hour to $10 an hour.

A wise Latina, A.J. Delgado, recently explained on Mediaite.com why amnesty won't win Republicans the Hispanic vote -- even if they get credit for it. Her very first argument was: "Latinos will resent the added competition for jobs."

But rich businessmen don't care. Big Republican donors -- and their campaign consultants -- just want to make money. They don't care about Hispanics, and they certainly don't care what happens to the country. If the country is hurt, I don't care, as long as I am doing better! This is the very definition of treason.

Hispanic voters are a small portion of the electorate. They don't want amnesty, and they're hopeless Democrats. So Republicans have decided the path to victory is to flood the country with lots more of them!

It's as if Republicans convinced Democrats to fixate on banning birth control to win more pro-life voters. This would be great for Republicans because Democrats will never win a majority of pro-life voters, and about as many pro-lifers care about birth control as Hispanics care about amnesty.

But that still wouldn't be as idiotic as what Republicans are doing because, according to Gallup, pro-lifers are nearly half of the electorate. Hispanics are only 8.4 percent of the electorate.

And it still wouldn't be as stupid as the GOP pushing amnesty, because banning birth control wouldn't create millions more voters who consistently vote against the Democrats.

Listening to Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus burble a few weeks ago on "Fox News Sunday" about how amnesty is going to push the Republicans to new electoral heights, one is reminded of Democratic pollster Pat Caddell's reason for refusing to become a Republican: No matter how enraged he gets at Democratic corruption, he says he can't bear to join such a stupid party as the GOP.
Good use of statistics and history. Yes it is Ann Coulter, but try to read the numbers and the argument.

"You don’t burn books because they’re irrelevant. You burn books because you’re terrified that they’re not. You don’t muzzle people who have no audience. You muzzle people only when their voices are amplified far beyond your liking."
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:25 PM   #2
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
http://www.anncoulter.com/columns/2013-06-12.html

Good use of statistics and history. Yes it is Ann Coulter, but try to read the numbers and the argument.
I actually agree with her assessment on this issue, but I fear this thread (because it's Coulter) wont go over well.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:38 PM   #3
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
She makes some good points, but she's still a giant cvnt

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:58 AM   #4
Lair

My Ride: e90, cheap Boxster
I wish Ann would self-deport.

Quote:
It's the best years of your life they want to steal.
Congratulations.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:40 PM   #5
Rhumb

My Ride: 2001 M3 Coupe
So what precisely is her conclusion? That the GOP should continue to dismiss and ignore the Hispanic vote as too small and thus, irrelevant?

Even if they only comprised 8.4% of the votes cast in 2012, that is still a very large block of votes, especially when that block went so convincingly Democratic. Sure, even winning 70% of the Hispanic vote wouldn't have bailed out Romney, but his problem was perhaps the death of a 1,000 cuts as he and the GOP effectively disparaged any number of individually small voting blocks -- from the youth vote to women to old black women -- that the cumulative effect that he is now sitting on some Barcalounger in one of his vacation estates instead of the desk of the Oval Office.

Disingenuous is the idea that these minority blocks can be and have been essentially bought off by either outright monetary "handouts" or are reflexive single-issue voters that can be brought over to the GOP side on account of acceding on a single issue regardless of how the rest of their policies may be unappealing or even repellent to their broader interests. Appealing to the Latino vote will require much more than simply a single vote for immigration reform and perhaps the GOP needs look well beyond this to their other policies if they wish to be competitive in garnering the Hispanic electorate and any number of other demographic/voting blocks.

So yes, Coulter does trot out any number of accurate statistics yet her self-serving and deflective analysis and conclusions are none-the-less fraught with error. As Mark Twain once said, "There are lies, damned lies and statistics."

Last edited by Rhumb; 06-13-2013 at 01:41 PM.
Rhumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:44 PM   #6
NFRs2000nyc

Amnesty would decimate the already dysmal black low skill employment. If the GOP wants to survive, they need to go after the black vote.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:45 PM   #7
Rhumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Amnesty would decimate the already dysmal black low skill employment. If the GOP wants to survive, they need to go after the black vote.
...and the women's vote, and the youth vote, and the Hispanic vote, and...
Old 06-13-2013, 02:51 PM   #8
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhumb View Post
...and the women's vote, and the youth vote, and the Hispanic vote, and...
If they stop with some of their BS, they will get the youth vote. Women's vote IMHO isn't an issue.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:33 PM   #9
rapier7

My Ride: Subaru BRZ
Oh look, another loud, attention whoring commentator from the peanut gallery.

Republicans realize that they can't rely on the white male vote anymore. That means they need to start making inroads into women, Hispanics, and Asians. An olive branch on immigration is one of the necessary things they need to capture minorities and women back into the Republican column.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:34 PM   #10
Act of God

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapier7 View Post
Oh look, another loud, attention whoring commentator from the peanut gallery.

Republicans realize that they can't rely on the white male vote anymore. That means they need to start making inroads into women, Hispanics, and Asians. An olive branch on immigration is one of the necessary things they need to capture minorities and women back into the Republican column.
Republicans did that, several times, made no difference. In fact, they lost votes even though they either (a) actually gave amnesty or (b) heavily supported amnesty.

Polling shows that Hispanics don't give a crap about amnesty or immigration compared to more relevant issues. Read the article yet?

"You don’t burn books because they’re irrelevant. You burn books because you’re terrified that they’re not. You don’t muzzle people who have no audience. You muzzle people only when their voices are amplified far beyond your liking."
Old 06-13-2013, 03:45 PM   #11
5ynd1cat3

My Ride: swagger wagon
Re: (IMHO) Coulter Nails it on the Amnesty Issue

Is it just me or does it feel like 1986 all over again?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-13-2013, 04:23 PM   #12
rapier7

Quote:
Republicans did that, several times, made no difference. In fact, they lost votes even though they either (a) actually gave amnesty or (b) heavily supported amnesty.

Polling shows that Hispanics don't give a crap about amnesty or immigration compared to more relevant issues. Read the article yet?
I did. And it ignores the issue that Hispanics are a growing portion of the population (and thus the electorate) and it also ignores the fact that there's a lot of bad aura around the Republican party.

If we look at it strictly through the lens of "what will give us votes?" and you're telling me that Hispanics don't care about immigration reform, why are the Democrats pushing immigration reform?

Voters do care about these issues and they will cast their votes around those issues. And there is a huge economic factor to consider as well. Increasing the size of our legal workforce is a boon for the economy, and that's something that the business wing of the Republican Party is interested in.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:28 PM   #13
Rhumb

Quote:

Which probably indicates how toxic the rest of the GOP policy agenda/ideology is to Hispanics.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:39 PM   #14
'busa

My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
Old 06-13-2013, 04:46 PM   #15
Act of God

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapier7 View Post
If we look at it strictly through the lens of "what will give us votes?" and you're telling me that Hispanics don't care about immigration reform, why are the Democrats pushing immigration reform?
Really, you're asking that question? Hispanics are more or less automatic democrat voters, that's why.

Old 06-13-2013, 05:30 PM   #16
rapier7

Quote:
Really, you're asking that question? Hispanics are more or less automatic democrat voters, that's why.
The bill currently being debated in the Senate has a 15 year road to citizenship for those who are eligible for amnesty. Given the short term thinking that has prevailed in politics for the past 50 years, what makes you think the Democrats are playing such a long game?
Old 06-13-2013, 05:57 PM   #17
badfast

My Ride: A Car
Quote:
Let us not do the right thing because of how they may vote.
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:02 PM   #18
Act of God

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfast View Post
Let us not do the right thing because of how they may vote.
lol the right thing? What, if enough people break a law we can just ignore it? How about the other side of that coin chump, let's do what's best for the DNC versus what's best for AMERICA.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:49 PM   #19
Lair

My Ride: e90, cheap Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhumb View Post
Which probably indicates how toxic the rest of the GOP policy agenda/ideology is to Hispanics.
Which is why they're cultivating new, young Hispanic local candidates like Cruz and Rubio.

Will it work?

Quote:
It's the best years of your life they want to steal.
Congratulations.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:03 PM   #20
Act of God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lair View Post
Which is why they're cultivating new, young Hispanic local candidates like Cruz and Rubio.

Will it work?
No, it won't. So long as the public perception is that the democrats are the people that will give you free stuff the votes will stay there.