E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 138 votes, 4.08 average.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:01 PM   #1221
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud

My Ride: is totaled
Worst spambot ever

[bimmerapp]

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave
Fill that hole in your soul by buying more material goods
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=15286051
buy my sedan rear seats (gray leather)

sell me sedan A pillars!! (black fabric)
XKxRome0ox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:01 PM   #1222
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattle330 View Post
I found this link to be pretty good, once you open things up you'll see what needs doing.

I did mine today, thanks for the help Mango!
You are welcome

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:59 AM   #1223
Gatriel
Gr Di'

My Ride: KL38444
So I just had to replace my expansion tank after it cracked and sprayed coolant all over the engine. While I was at it I replaced the sensor as well. Now my coolant light stays on constantly even though I have properly bled the system and there is enough coolant.

Any ideas?

Edit - Car goes for sale next week, so I'm not looking to spend too much more money on it.

Last edited by Gatriel; 06-15-2013 at 11:00 AM.
Gatriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:28 PM   #1224
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Where I give Real World advice and don't just criticize others. People here need to RESPECT other's opinions!
My Ride: 03 325iT SportWagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by gggunchi View Post
So I just had to replace my expansion tank after it cracked and sprayed coolant all over the engine. While I was at it I replaced the sensor as well. Now my coolant light stays on constantly even though I have properly bled the system and there is enough coolant.

Any ideas?

Edit - Car goes for sale next week, so I'm not looking to spend too much more money on it.
Since you replaced your expansion tank, did you reconnect your level sensor connection? Did you transfer your level sensor?

Engine swap, HG, tranny swap, GM & ZF tranny rebuilds, shocks, struts, brakes, WPs, Thermostats, belts, tensioners, fuel pumps, radiators, window regs, hoses, PS pump, Spark Plugs, VCGs, coils, fuel filters, CVVs, VANOS seals, rack, LCABs, Exp. Tanks, OFHGs, RCABs, OP, boots, ABS, GUIDOs, starter, A/C, DISA, Diff, SAP

Ultra Premium Grand 10 Star+ Super Duper BMW-pedic Sport Plus +++
BMWCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:50 PM   #1225
yetieater

My Ride: '03 330i
* E46 Cooling Guide (Information w/parts list/bleeding) *

Car overheated one evening after a few hard pulls evidenced by coolant splash on air filter housing top.

Topped off with distilled water that same evening. Followed bleed procedure, less use of ramps as car is already on an incline with the expansion tank cap being the highest point in the system.

Drove a couple of times but it will not hold a steady operating temperature. I did leave the temperature in cabin set to 32 deg Celsius. Even with coolant temperature north of 100 deg Celsius I am not feeling hot air out of the vents. Additionally the upper radiator hose is hot, but lower radiator hose remains lukewarm.

Suspect thermostat needs to be replaced, yet it is a Behr unit with less than 10,000 miles and less than one year.

Car is a 330i automatic with electric fan swap.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

bullet proof one piece at a time
my page on BMW Performance parts for the E46: clicky
yetieater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:37 AM   #1226
yetieater

My Ride: '03 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetieater View Post
Car overheated one evening after a few hard pulls evidenced by coolant splash on air filter housing top.

Topped off with distilled water that same evening. Followed bleed procedure, less use of ramps as car is already on an incline with the expansion tank cap being the highest point in the system.

Drove a couple of times but it will not hold a steady operating temperature. I did leave the temperature in cabin set to 32 deg Celsius. Even with coolant temperature north of 100 deg Celsius I am not feeling hot air out of the vents. Additionally the upper radiator hose is hot, but lower radiator hose remains lukewarm.

Suspect thermostat needs to be replaced, yet it is a Behr unit with less than 10,000 miles and less than one year.

Car is a 330i automatic with electric fan swap.

Add'l observations: with the ignition on but engine off, temperature to maximum, both upper and lower radiator hoses can be massaged and such. After engine is left to idle, unplugging the temperature sensor attached to bottom hose leads electric fan to step up in accordance with coolant temperature measured by OBC. If left plugged in, no movement of fan is observed.

bullet proof one piece at a time
my page on BMW Performance parts for the E46: clicky
yetieater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:59 AM   #1227
jwbeck17

My Ride: 2005 330xi

Thank you, Mango and all the posters here. I took the plunge and did the overhaul yesterday. It took me practically all afternoon, but it was a beautiful day here and was nice to work outside with the kid and dog playing in the yard. This was the most comprehensive auto work I have taken on yet, but I'm happy to say (and somewhat shocked) it was a success!

Here we're my hiccups:
- coolant drain plug: I ended up not draining the coolant from the block. Xi models have more difficult access to the plug, and I couldn't get enough torque to get the bolt off. I don't think it's that much of an issue, since it took almost all of the coolant in the refill.
- Leak near intercooler: After I put it back together,there was a leak near the intercooler. After inspection I found out it was the torx screw that attached to expansion tank plate bottom was not tight enough so the coolant leaked. Was able to get it tighter and it sealed up fine.

Car temps are running at around the 200 degree range, same as before, no fault codes, so all good!

Thank you guys!

jwbeck17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:40 AM   #1228
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbeck17 View Post
Here we're my hiccups:
- coolant drain plug: I ended up not draining the coolant from the block. Xi models have more difficult access to the plug, and I couldn't get enough torque to get the bolt off. I don't think it's that much of an issue, since it took almost all of the coolant in the refill.
Congrats on all that turned out well!

Disagree on the block drain. Even with all the other options open to drain, you'll still leave a meaningful amount of coolant if you can't get the drain out. Not a good thing.
Yes, it can be tight, but I've found that with a glove on to prevent nicks and cuts (and give you confidence to exert full force), using a 1/4" drive socket wrench fits easily in the limited space, and with one hand I can get the plug loose.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:06 PM   #1229
partialresponse

My Ride: 2004 ZHP 6Sp
I just completed this and it all went well without any significant trouble. I did quite a bit of work on my previous car, a Toyota Supra MkIII. So far, this car seems quite a bit easier to work on.

On finishing up, however, I noticed a slight leak at the expansion-tank end of the heater hose, part number 5 below

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...00&hg=11&fg=35

the hose connector had unfortunately developed a hairline crack that will allow a slow leak when it's wiggled. I have temporarily tightened it with a zip tie but I'm not sure how long that will last. I should go back in and replace that hose. Has anyone here replaced that hose? It seems tricky to get to the other end, although, I realize that many things in this engine that seem difficult to get to really aren't.

Thanks much, Mango.

Last edited by partialresponse; 06-16-2013 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Thanking Mango
partialresponse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:21 PM   #1230
Stinger9

Quote:
Originally Posted by partialresponse View Post
It seems tricky to get to the other end, although, I realize that many things in this engine that seem difficult to get to really aren't.
The other end connects to one of the two composite pipes that run underneath the intake manifold. Just requires removing a few things to get there.
Careful when working on this as an old pipe can get brittle itself. And replacement of that requires removing the intake manifold. You do not want to go there.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:41 PM   #1231
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Where I give Real World advice and don't just criticize others. People here need to RESPECT other's opinions!
It is very easy to get to and replace. Just need to remove intake air box and a few other things.

Engine swap, HG, tranny swap, GM & ZF tranny rebuilds, shocks, struts, brakes, WPs, Thermostats, belts, tensioners, fuel pumps, radiators, window regs, hoses, PS pump, Spark Plugs, VCGs, coils, fuel filters, CVVs, VANOS seals, rack, LCABs, Exp. Tanks, OFHGs, RCABs, OP, boots, ABS, GUIDOs, starter, A/C, DISA, Diff, SAP

Old 06-17-2013, 03:59 PM   #1232
jwbeck17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
Congrats on all that turned out well!

Disagree on the block drain. Even with all the other options open to drain, you'll still leave a meaningful amount of coolant if you can't get the drain out. Not a good thing.
Yes, it can be tight, but I've found that with a glove on to prevent nicks and cuts (and give you confidence to exert full force), using a 1/4" drive socket wrench fits easily in the limited space, and with one hand I can get the plug loose.
Understood, but are you talking about a rear wheel drive version or the xi? The xi has numerous front axel elements that block access. I can get an arm to touch the nut, but the arm cannot move, as access is only through the a space by the passenger wheel well. There is a small space in front of the axle, but not big enough to get an arm through, and even with a long extension bar and swivel head, you cannot get enough torque to move the nut. I read in other posts that this is a common challenge with xi models.

My second option is to drain and refill again. The system holds 2.2 gallons, and when i filled it, i got more than 1.5 gallons in (some of the coolant in the block poured out when the water pump was removed), which means I replaced approx. 70% of the fluid. Another flush and refill would replace over 90% of the original fluid. Not perfect, but pretty close.

I am certainly open to other options, though!

Old 06-17-2013, 04:38 PM   #1233
Stinger9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbeck17 View Post
Understood, but are you talking about a rear wheel drive version or the xi?
I'm RWD, so I can't relate, true.
No doubt it's a nasty task.
Prob your multi-stage dilution would put you in good stead.
You've weakened the bad elements and replaced plenty of the proper additives.
Old 06-17-2013, 04:54 PM   #1234
BMWCaptain

Its no big deal if you don't get to the engine drain. It is only coolant that moves heat through the system to the radiator. Since you filled your system up to the proper level , the coolant mixture is fine. Some people make such a big deal about the littlist things.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:53 PM   #1235
jwbeck17

Stinger, the tip about the gloves is right on. My hands and arms are a bit scratched up thanks to my failed attempts at getting to the drain plug!

Old 06-18-2013, 11:38 AM   #1236
LI_BIMMER

My Ride: 2000 - i, 2003 X5
Great write up! I wanted to add that the pulley's (as stated) can also go bad without notice. My alternator belt pulley decided to break and I was driving with my belt burning itself into pieces. It also destroyed the mechanical tensioner rubber pulley. I lost power steering when the belt eventually broke and pulled over immediately as the temp gauge needle was making its way to the red zone.

After waiting for a tow for over an hour since I didn't want to overheat and damage the engine, I remembered something. I turned my heater to 90, the fan to high and the temp needle immediately dropped between cold and the half way point. I decided to try getting home as I can always give the tow truck my new location if the temp needle was getting into the red zone.

I drove home about 4 miles and the needle stayed half way all the way. I ended up replacing the pulley's (already did the coolant overhaul a few months back) and had to buy the new tensioner since the mechanical was discontinued.

Moral: Don't overlook the easy replacement of the alternator pulley while your doing the coolant overhaul. If your engine overheats, try running your heater as this may work for you if you are close to home. It was 90 degrees that day and the AC was running for 3-4 hrs before the failure. My car (X5-3.0) had 84K of miles on the original pulley. This is the same pulley on my 323i which I also ordered and replaced recently to avoid the same issue. Hope this helps....

Last edited by LI_BIMMER; 06-18-2013 at 11:41 AM.
LI_BIMMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:43 AM   #1237
Stinger9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI_BIMMER View Post

I drove home about 4 miles and the needle stayed half way all the way. I ended up replacing the pulley's (already did the coolant overhaul a few months back) and had to buy the new tensioner since the mechanical was discontinued.
The only fly in the proverbial ointment is using your dash temp gauge is next to useless. It is far from an accurate measure of tracking the actual engine temperature. It stays at the 12 o'clock position for a wide range of temperature variations.
Next time pull up the OBC hidden function #7 temperature reading and you'll afford yourself some real protection.
You got very lucky this time. Too high a risk for me personally to take.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:44 AM   #1238
BeMyWhip

My Ride: 01 BMW 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
The only fly in the proverbial ointment is using your dash temp gauge is next to useless. It is far from an accurate measure of tracking the actual engine temperature. It stays at the 12 o'clock position for a wide range of temperature variations.
Next time pull up the OBC hidden function #7 temperature reading and you'll afford yourself some real protection.
You got very lucky this time. Too high a risk for me personally to take.
Oh lord. Give the guy a break with this anal retentive jargon. He made it home and all is well.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:46 AM   #1239
BeMyWhip

My Ride: 01 BMW 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
You are welcome
Is this what you do all day? Look for internet gratification? Oh booooy!
Old 06-24-2013, 04:06 PM   #1240
CarterRuss

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323Ci
On the drain plug, I am not sure if it was addressed or not but I couldn't find anyone that said it was definite or not but my (2000 323ci) drain plug was a 6mm allen bolt (not sure if that's the name but it needed an allen wrench to remove it) which gave me the ability to get my hand there and take it out with ease

CarterRuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bleeding, coolant, cooling system, diy cooling, expansion tank, lower hose sensor, mango, overheat, radiator, radiator hose, temp sensor, temperature sensor, thermostat, water pump