E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-14-2013, 08:08 PM   #21
Blind_Shooter

My Ride: is your sister
I've thought of this before as well OP and I heard that the 323i's had metal impellers?? Can't confirm this though.
Also thought of wrapping the ET in fiberglass for added support. But then again I'm not willing to guinea pig my car over it.

Blind_Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:40 PM   #22
wildirish317

My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
BMW E46 Cooling System: Improving on Expansion Tank and More

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post

service the car and it will run great for years. period
PM sent, but your mailbox is full. Catch up on your mail, son.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:55 PM   #23
turbotalon1g

My Ride: '02 330i
I just replaced mine with 94k miles on it and 11 years. It was in good shape, so I kept all the old parts.
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:42 PM   #24
wildirish317

My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
I just replaced mine with 94k miles on it and 11 years. It was in good shape, so I kept all the old parts.
I know this is going to sound harsh, and I don't really mean it to be, but wtf are you going to do with 11 year old used BMW cooling system parts, and how long do you expect to keep them? Is this like, keep in case of emergency? Personally, I would trash the old parts, and buy new ones in five years, if you really think you need "emergency" parts.

Not flaming you, just not understanding the logic.

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:48 PM   #25
katu

My Ride: '04 330ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildirish317 View Post
I know this is going to sound harsh, and I don't really mean it to be, but wtf are you going to do with 11 year old used BMW cooling system parts, and how long do you expect to keep them? Is this like, keep in case of emergency? Personally, I would trash the old parts, and buy new ones in five years, if you really think you need "emergency" parts.

I was thinking the same thing when I read his post.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:09 PM   #26
Leezy321

My Ride: 2001 bmw 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildirish317 View Post

Err, maybe for an emergency if his new part(s) fail? Maybe bcuz he likes to keep extra parts lying around? Maybe he wants to make a bong out of the expansion tank? Who gives a rats ass why he's saving them... There is no logic to understand. Personally, I think "trashing" old car parts that are still fine is stupid... Then again, I'm a car guy

Leezy321 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:13 PM   #27
turbotalon1g

My Ride: '02 330i
^Car guys on BMW forums seem to be few and far between.

Considering 90% of people on here think these things spontaneously combust, I figured a perfect good car part should be kept incase mine does explode then I'm not waiting days on end without a car just because I have to wait on a part, turns out keeping a paper box full of parts isn't that stressful/costly.

That was my logic.
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:06 PM   #28
dirty vert

My Ride: 2001 330ci
I kept my expansion tank/tstat and hoses too.. just in case. My water pump had a metal impeller, but it had just started seeping (caught it before I even knew it- doing it all). My radiator had been weeping near the top so it is trashed too. Btw, my expansion tank has an 07 date on it--probably 30k miles.. from what I can tell.

Mango, I did buy the Uro expansion tank...and had to clean up the mold flashing on the hose connections and sensor connection.
dirty vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:24 PM   #29
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty vert View Post
I kept my expansion tank/tstat and hoses too.. just in case.

Mango, I did buy the Uro expansion tank...
Why URO?

Has hideous track record.

Good you saved your old ET. Take it with you whenever you plan to drive more than 1500 yds away from your home.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:05 PM   #30
dirty vert

My Ride: 2001 330ci
I didn't read about the record it had until I already paid for it.. we will see when I have an issue with it. I thought about just using the one it had (the 07), but since this is new I put it on.
dirty vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:46 AM   #31
Stinger9

Hope it works for you.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:11 AM   #32
yetieater

My Ride: '03 330i

Ha. If you really buy into emergency preparedness for E46, make sure to bring..
- Full cooling system
- Two jugs BMW coolant (antifreeze)
- Two jugs distilled water
- Funnel
- Replacement belts
- Replacement pulleys (idler, tensioner)
- Replacement fan (fan clutch & blades for automatic, electric fan for manual)
- Fuel pump
- Jack
- Jackstands
- Set of metric sockets, breaker bar, fan removal tool (if automatic), Torx bits, magnetic pickup tool

Just kidding. It's a great car, really. Every day that it runs well, I'm positively beaming.

Anyone read WDE46's thread on Expansion Tank Science? He concludes that the 1.4 bar ET cap is probably going to prolong the life of the expansion tank.

bullet proof one piece at a time
my page on BMW Performance parts for the E46: clicky
yetieater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:13 AM   #33
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris323i View Post
Hey guys I've tried this seems to work. Aluminum et from jegs 150 bucks for a v8 doesn't really matter. Some fab required cut hoses on one end use hose clamps fill and bleed buy squeezing hoses because there is no bleed screw. Problem solved waiting for something else to brake. Buy the way aluminum radiator 199 jegs you need to fit hoses a few trips to autozone. 350 total.

Have you actually done this?

The ET isn't just a rectangular tank that the various hoses flow into. It's got some bypasses, a chamber, a hole for the AT thermostat (if you have an AT), and specifically sized holes for controlled flow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetieater View Post
Linked to the wrong aluminum radiator. Correct link now in 1st post.

Reading up on 1.2 bar expansion tank cap now. Interesting references..
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1985785
http://www.stewartcomponents.com/tec...ech_Tips_2.htm
I may buy one of these myself, as I have discovered in my thread, the coolant system will operate at whatever pressure the ET cap lets it. Lowering it will reduce stress on the system. The only thing I may be concerned about is localized boiling within the engine block's water jacket. Boiling will cause wear inside those tubes. I am not sure what the peak temperature of our coolant is only because I'm not aware of the location of the temp sensor that gives us the 95C range for operation. If it's on the outlet side of the water jacket (most likely), then I'm not too concerned about boiling.

Common Sense is officially dead.

Last edited by WDE46; 06-17-2013 at 11:13 AM.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:17 PM   #34
yetieater

My Ride: '03 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
The ET isn't just a rectangular tank that the various hoses flow into. It's got some bypasses, a chamber, a hole for the AT thermostat (if you have an AT), and specifically sized holes for controlled flow.
Indeed. An image is provided below for anyone curious about the internals of our expansion tanks..

bullet proof one piece at a time
my page on BMW Performance parts for the E46: clicky
yetieater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:25 PM   #35
Riverbmr3

My Ride: slow 3
for WP, buy one from Autozone, it has lifetime warranty...
Riverbmr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:17 PM   #36
Stinger9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoybmr3 View Post
for WP, buy one from Autozone, it has lifetime warranty...
Not including labor. Worst part of the job, not to mention the inconvenience.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:19 PM   #37
Stinger9

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetieater View Post
Indeed. An image is provided below for anyone curious about the internals of our expansion tanks..
Nice, if you did it yourself. Have a bandsaw?

Still hard to deduce from the pic exactly how the thing is plumbed. Do you know if a schematic of it exists anywhere to understand the operation of the beast?
Old 06-17-2013, 06:24 PM   #38
Mr.Philadelphia

My Ride: 2002 330i
I've been running a GAS 1.2 Bar cap since they started making them at the beginning of this year. Another option is the 1.4 Bar cap from the e30, which would buy you an extra 9 degrees F (4.4 degrees C) of boil over protection as compared to the GAS cap. Either way, the 2.0 cap is excessive. It may cover BMW from cooling system overload under the most extreme conditions, but this comes at a higher risk of catastrophic component failure that I find unacceptable under almost all driving conditions. If you're a Saudi prince cruising around in the Arabian Desert under high load or tracking your car during the dog days at Daytona, then perhaps the 2.0 Bar cap might come into play; otherwise I'd go with one of the other options.
Mr.Philadelphia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:46 AM   #39
dvd64

My Ride: bmw e46 CI
Why e46 diesel (320d and 330d ) have an 1.4 bar cap ??
see real oem : http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...g=05&lang=enUS

Last edited by dvd64; 06-18-2013 at 03:47 AM.
dvd64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:04 AM   #40
Mr.Philadelphia

My Ride: 2002 330i
Gasoline burns hotter than diesel and, thus, produces hotter exhaust gasses. Under similar conditions, a diesel engine will run cooler for the reason mentioned as well as a higher air/fuel ratio and less potential energy being lost as heat (or, if you like, more efficient conversion to mechanical energy).
Mr.Philadelphia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooling system, expansion tank, pressure