E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-15-2013, 12:16 PM   #1
tlester

My Ride: 2001 330i
Jack & Jack Stands... How Tall?

Hi Guys -

I've got to replace my clutch and I my old jack is about dead. So, I'm going to buy new jack and some more stands. How tall do I need to get so that I can safely drop the transmission (manual)? I'd like to be able to drop it with low profile transmission jack, so I don't drop it on my head. So, I need to get the 330i up tall enough to fit the transmission on the transmission jack and roll it out.

Let me know.
tlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:22 PM   #2
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
I'd put this car on four stands, and put them as high as they can go. I'd look for 24 - 30 inches, and take more if I could get it. I'd lift the car half the distance on one side, or end, and then lift it the full distance on the other, then return to the first and lift it the remaining amount.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:28 PM   #3
NumbaOneNewb

My Ride: 2003 330CI Silver
Re: Jack & Jack Stands... How Tall?

I just hate getting that far under the car. Scares the crap out of me. When doing my post cat o2s, not only did I have 2 jacks and 2 stands holding it up,I also used 4 of my rims placed in clutch spots in case **** falls and I needed an emergency bailout route

Sent from my SPH-L710 using BimmerApp mobile app
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)
NumbaOneNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:40 PM   #4
tlester

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumbaOneNewb View Post
I just hate getting that far under the car. Scares the crap out of me. When doing my post cat o2s, not only did I have 2 jacks and 2 stands holding it up,I also used 4 of my rims placed in clutch spots in case **** falls and I needed an emergency bailout route

Sent from my SPH-L710 using BimmerApp mobile app
Yeah... scares me a bit, too. It's one of the reasons I'm getting new stands, so my old stands can be safety backups.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:46 PM   #5
iRide113

My Ride: 2004 325i
If you're scared, build some wood ramps.

Something like this or you can buy these.

Personally I would build some wooden ramps because you can make them to your wanting - just remember lots of lateral support and you'll be fine.
iRide113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:56 PM   #6
tlester

Have any of you guys invested in one of those home scissor type lifts? Those seem pretty cool, but are like $1200. I mean... the work I'm going to be doing myself will more than make back $1200 compared to taking it to a mechanic, but still.... that's a lot of coin.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:15 PM   #7
FenderGuy05
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by iRide113 View Post

Personally I would build some wooden ramps because you can make them to your wanting - just remember lots of lateral support and you'll be fine.
The Rhino ramps definitely wouldn't work getting it up high enough. I used them for cooling system and an oil change, but anything farther back and you definitely dont' have the room.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:26 PM   #8
wildirish317

My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderGuy05 View Post
The Rhino ramps definitely wouldn't work getting it up high enough. I used them for cooling system and an oil change, but anything farther back and you definitely dont' have the room.
+1 I just changed my tranny fluid today, and the Rhino ramps didn't lift it high enough; had to put it on stands.

This is on my Christmas list:

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Miller
I just don't know what I'd do with 560 hp that doesn't involve getting arrested.
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:29 PM   #9
tlester

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildirish317 View Post
+1 I just changed my tranny fluid today, and the Rhino ramps didn't lift it high enough; had to put it on stands.

This is on my Christmas list:
Tasty... what brand/model is that?
Old 06-15-2013, 04:52 PM   #10
AV8OR

My Ride: 2000 323i
Here's the lift: http://naautoequipment.com/mid-rise-scissor-lifts.html
Old 06-15-2013, 05:24 PM   #11
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
that second one looks a lot like the HF one

http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...ift-91315.html

which btw looks scary to see that van on
that photo make me not want to buy it seeing it like that.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:44 PM   #12
iRide113

Quote:
Even if you put four? I wasn't saying drive up on two, but rather raise the car with a jack in the front and put the Rhino Ramps under the front, then do the same to the back.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:54 PM   #13
wildirish317

My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
Jack & Jack Stands... How Tall?

Think about that, and explain in detail how it's done. To drive up on 4 ramps, all wheels must go the same direction. The ramps won't fit between the front and back wheels.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Miller
I just don't know what I'd do with 560 hp that doesn't involve getting arrested.
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 05:58 PM   #14
iRide113

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildirish317 View Post
Think about that, and explain in detail how it's done. To drive up on 4 ramps, all wheels must go the same direction. The ramps won't fit between the front and back wheels.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
How long are they? If they're too long, couldn't you just put the rear ones backwards? It was just a suggestion, I don't have a pair. Personally, I built my own wooden ramps with LED's in them.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:33 PM   #15
Boolala

My Ride: 2001 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by iRide113 View Post

I know this is an older thread but this is an awesome idea and I will be building mine this weekend. I need to get under my 325 and check tranny mounts, quibo, U-Joints etc etc etc and jack stands or Rhino Ramps don't cut it. With a crawler undre the car what couldn't a person do except for tire work and jack stands for that since you don't have to crawl under the car.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:55 PM   #16
BaliDawg

My Ride: 325Ci 530i 750iL
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlester View Post
Tasty... what brand/model is that?
Since the drive-over height is 4", will that clear a low E46 such as with ZSP or even a lowered one?
BaliDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:46 PM   #17
dakkon

My Ride: e46 330ci/e30 318is
Just get 4 6 ton jack stands from HF... I've been using them for years and have spent days under the car wrenching on it. Never worried about anything. The 330 only weighs 3400lbs ish.

As far as a floor jack goes. This is one of the best ones around.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...ACHyd1_pg1.htm
dakkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:49 PM   #18
phoopsta

My Ride: 02 330xi 3-pedal
I had my car up on all fours with only about 18inches worth of clearance and did my CSB and Guibo. It was ok except the exhaust when it was time to put it back in. Its a little heavy.

When it is up , I climb into my car and wiggle a bit, make sure nothings sliding around, I also have a jack up front and try to have one in the rear just in case the jack stands "fail"

phoopsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 12:49 AM   #19
BaliDawg

My Ride: 325Ci 530i 750iL
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakkon View Post
Just get 4 6 ton jack stands from HF... I've been using them for years and have spent days under the car wrenching on it. Never worried about anything. The 330 only weighs 3400lbs ish.

As far as a floor jack goes. This is one of the best ones around.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...ACHyd1_pg1.htm
^^^^^This is good advice.^^^^^
BaliDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:28 AM   #20
franz

My Ride: 03 330i
Quote:
This is not true, I did the job twice by myself with Rhino ramps at the front and jack stands at the rear, was able to use a std jack to help lower & raise the transmission. I did not put the jack stands at their highest position in the rear, I think they were up one from the bottom. Esco stands.

Tags
330i, jack, jack stands, transmission