E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-15-2013, 11:09 AM   #1
Stingray230sx

My Ride: 2001 330Ci,
wheel offset question

Hey guys, i asked this question in the wheel and tire forum, but havent got a response, so i thought i would try in here..........

i know that et45 is the recommended offset for the rear, but the wheels i am looking at have an et40 in the 18x9.5 for the rear, with a 18x8.5 et35 in the front [actually one online dealer says 18x8.5 et35 another lists it as 18x8.5 et38].....however the manufacturer website says 18x8.5 et35 / 18x9.5 et40

so i think the et35 will work on the front, but i am wondering if i can get by with the 18x8.5 et40 in the rear? my car is a stock height 2001 330ci

currently running 17" staggered but want to size up, however its a daily driver so dont wanna go to 19"

thanks

edit, revisted manufacturer site and it is et38 for the fron, so thats even better for me.........

Last edited by Stingray230sx; 06-15-2013 at 07:21 PM.
Stingray230sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:38 AM   #2
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
http://felgenkatalog.auto-treff.com/

This page gives all of the available tire packages since the beginning of time, and they appear to update it as new models arrive on the market. Sort for E46, and then look for wheels with the dimensions -- ignore the pattern, focus on the size specifications -- to see what the factory does.

I agree, you don't want to go to 19, 18s are a very nice balance of form and function.

If you had a 7x17, ET41, and went to an 8x18, ET41, all of the new width would be to the outboard side of the wheel -- the rims would move an inch closer to the fender. Now for some math. An inch is 25mm. If your new wheel was an 8x18, ET50, then 9mm of the 25 would be to the suspension side of the wheel, and 16mm would be to the fender side. Get it? Just more than 1/4-inch would be on the inboard side of the wheel and about 3/4-inch would be on the outboard side. (ET is the distance from the backside of the mounting surface on the wheel to the centerline of the wheel.)

I'm not suggesting this fits, I'm just trying to illustrate what the numbers are. You can find 8x18 or 8.5x18s for the E46 and pull the ET from the chart, then you can calculate the variance presented by the wheels you are looking at and determine if they will fit your car.

If you go to the outboard side and the tires rub, you cure this by rolling the fenders -- pushing the fenders further from the tires. It's pretty easy to pick up a 1/4 to 1/2 inch by rolling the fenders, but you have to be good with a hammer. I think I'd pay the body shop to do this for me.

Last edited by jdstrickland; 06-15-2013 at 11:39 AM.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:33 PM   #3
AJP330i

My Ride: 05 ZHP
What you want to run will work.

This link should help you out...

http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp

Enter the car type and tire/wheel sizes and you get a good idea of wht will fit..
Old 06-15-2013, 04:56 PM   #4
Stingray230sx

Quote:
Originally Posted by captanpic View Post
What you want to run will work.

This link should help you out...

http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp

Enter the car type and tire/wheel sizes and you get a good idea of wht will fit..

ok, i put in my sizes for front and rear [style 68 staggered] and then the new sizes and here are the results with a 265/35/18[rear]:

Suspension Assuming that this is OEM wheel/tire and there is no any problems with clearance on both sides >>> 100% clear (leaves even more room than OEM)
Fenders Package will stick out 15 mm (0.6'') farther. Acceptable for most cars.
Wheelwells Will fill out the wheelwell by extra 4 mm. Almost no difference

with a 255/35/18[rear]:

Suspension: Assuming that this is OEM wheel/tire and there is no any problems with clearance on both sides >>> 100% clear (leaves even more room than OEM)
Fenders: Package will stick out 10 mm (0.4'') farther. Acceptable for most cars.
Wheelwells: The same.

now with a 225/40/18[front]:

Suspension Assuming that this is OEM wheel/tire and there is no any problems with clearance on both sides >>> 100% clear (leaves even more room than OEM)
Fenders Package will stick out 6 mm (0.2'') farther. Acceptable for most cars.
Wheelwells Will fill out the wheelwell by extra 2 mm. Almost no difference

with a 235/40/18[front]:

Suspension: Assuming that this is OEM wheel/tire and there is no any problems with clearance on both sides >>> The same.
Fenders: Package will stick out 11 mm (0.4'') farther. Acceptable for most cars.
Wheelwells: Will fill out the wheelwell by extra 6 mm. Acceptable for most cars.

I am concerned on the front that stick out 6mm farther [or 11mm with a 235 tire] probably have to go with the 225/40/18 for sure......

and i really dont know that i have 15mm on the rear, but i will grab a caliper and set it at 15mm and then see what that looks like as xtra sticking out......only 10mm with a 255 so may have to use that size as well, though i was hoping to go wide as possible, oh well........

thanks guys , you have been a tremendous help

doug
Old 06-15-2013, 05:05 PM   #5
Stingray230sx

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdstrickland View Post
http://felgenkatalog.auto-treff.com/

This page gives all of the available tire packages since the beginning of time, and they appear to update it as new models arrive on the market. Sort for E46, and then look for wheels with the dimensions -- ignore the pattern, focus on the size specifications -- to see what the factory does.

I agree, you don't want to go to 19, 18s are a very nice balance of form and function.

If you had a 7x17, ET41, and went to an 8x18, ET41, all of the new width would be to the outboard side of the wheel -- the rims would move an inch closer to the fender. Now for some math. An inch is 25mm. If your new wheel was an 8x18, ET50, then 9mm of the 25 would be to the suspension side of the wheel, and 16mm would be to the fender side. Get it? Just more than 1/4-inch would be on the inboard side of the wheel and about 3/4-inch would be on the outboard side. (ET is the distance from the backside of the mounting surface on the wheel to the centerline of the wheel.)

I'm not suggesting this fits, I'm just trying to illustrate what the numbers are. You can find 8x18 or 8.5x18s for the E46 and pull the ET from the chart, then you can calculate the variance presented by the wheels you are looking at and determine if they will fit your car.

If you go to the outboard side and the tires rub, you cure this by rolling the fenders -- pushing the fenders further from the tires. It's pretty easy to pick up a 1/4 to 1/2 inch by rolling the fenders, but you have to be good with a hammer. I think I'd pay the body shop to do this for me.
im not sure on this one........so if i go up and inch[25mm][17x7.5 to 18x8.5] but lose 9mm in et[stock front style 68's are et41] does that mean that 34mm[25+9] goes outboard towards the fenders? if so the data i showed above from the comparitor may be wrong? i dont think my car will take 34mm out towards the fenders from where it is now

and on the rear the style 68's are 17x8.5 et50 to 18x9.5 et40 so im going to have 35mm outboard[25+10] ?

but if that comparitor is correct i should be alright...........

and i do have a good friend with a body shop who can help me out........

ok, nevermind about the whole all outboard thing i figured out that the offset is to the centerline [duh me]

thanks

doug

Last edited by Stingray230sx; 06-15-2013 at 07:23 PM. Reason: new info