E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-15-2013, 11:34 AM   #1
Dino1394

My Ride: 04 330xi
Unhappy cat efficiency

Hey guys my car has been throwing a po420 code for a while.

Before I went an ordered the sensors I switched connectors of both o2 and the code did move to the other sides.

This lead me to believe it was just the sensor that needed to be replaced so I ordered them both. Now after replacing both sensors I am now getting a cat efficiency code for both sides.

Can anyone give me some in out of what's going on? I ordered the sensors from eBay but using the part numbers from real OEM. They were the ntk brand that I saw on the advance auto website using the same PN. They were direct plug and play so no splicing anything.

Its an 04 330xi for the mobile users who can't see my mein auto from the app.

I already failed inspection twice and I have a month left till I have to reinspect again
Dino1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:41 PM   #2
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
This is a common problem with BMW and all other manufacturers in the industry.

Many times there is a minor problem, RARELY is the problem actually with the catalytic converter(s). Do not even think about replacing them at this point.

P0420 can be caused either by exhaust leaks, even very tiny ones and/or a problem with the DME software and the test window and parameters are too narrow. Many manufacturers have DME/CPU flash updates to resolve these issues.

But first lets take about exhaust leaks, even something as tiny and simple as O2 bung weld cracks, hairline cracks around where the O2 sensor threads in can cause this problem. These hairline cracks are hard to see, usually you will see blackening around the welds from exhaust gases escaping from the cracks.

Also any other post Catalytic converter exhaust leak can cause issues. Exhaust manifold to main exhaust connection or resonator connections can be the issue. Many times on manual transmission cars people cheat and cut the exhaust to perform a clutch change and use slip on exhaust pipe couplers that leak like crazy.

As for your inspection you likely can get by and get the car inspected with this issue if you manage it. Most P0420 codes only get triggered when driving at highway speeds and usually occur under long decel or coasting with very light throttle on flat or downhill slopes.

You should be able to clear the code, drive the car 1-2 days, get all the emission readiness monitors to clear, then get the car inspected. Additionally check with your state, many inspections can be preformed with 1 or 2 emission readiness codes not clear as long at the CEL is not lit at the time of inspection.

So I would focus on your inspection and not the code for now.

Search around and I would likely guess there may also be a DME update to also resolve this problem if it is a common/phantom problem with your year and model.

Good luck and report back.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 04:40 PM   #3
willsbma

My Ride: 99 323i
Off brand O2 maybe? Wasn't oem Bosch?

I have P.A. Soft and a 20-pin adapter. Only used it a few times but pm me if you need anything coded!
willsbma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:06 PM   #4
NumbaOneNewb

My Ride: 2003 330CI Silver
Re: cat efficiency

Correct. I will like to blame first and foremost for the aftermarket sensors. All the vets here would agree that when it comes to sensors or electrical things, you MUST go oem. Anything else is inviting trouble. We can continue to speculate about other possibilities but not until those are switched out for oem ones, I can not help you

Sent from my SPH-L710 using BimmerApp mobile app
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)
NumbaOneNewb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:10 PM   #5
jfoj

I doubt it is the sensors, he swapped the originals and the problem did not follow the sensor.

Then he installed new sensors, he still has issues.

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

Old 06-15-2013, 07:16 PM   #6
NumbaOneNewb

My Ride: 2003 330CI Silver

Reexamine what he said

Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)
NumbaOneNewb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:50 PM   #7
Dino1394

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumbaOneNewb View Post
Correct. I will like to blame first and foremost for the aftermarket sensors. All the vets here would agree that when it comes to sensors or electrical things, you MUST go oem. Anything else is inviting trouble. We can continue to speculate about other possibilities but not until those are switched out for oem ones, I can not help you

I was under the impression NTK was oem since it was the same PN as shown on realoem

I have to look into that

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
I doubt it is the sensors, he swapped the originals and the problem did not follow the sensor.

Then he installed new sensors, he still has issues.
No, the problem did follow the sensor when switching (420 then turned into 430).

I have to double check who makes the sensors for bmw

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-15-2013, 08:03 PM   #8
jfoj

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumbaOneNewb View Post
Reexamine what he said
Yep, I made a mistake, swore I saw a "not" in his original statement, however, he also swapped the wiring and not the sensors, this brings up a whole different set of issues, you need to move the sensor, not the wiring as there is a bit more to this than many think.

I do stick with Bosch sensors, usually can get them from Amazon for around $50 unless they are wideband (not usually used for post Cats).

Again, how quickly does your car trigger the Cat Inefficiency codes?

Assume codes get triggered while highway cruising?

Old 06-15-2013, 08:38 PM   #9
Dino1394

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
Yep, I made a mistake, swore I saw a "not" in his original statement, however, he also swapped the wiring and not the sensors, this brings up a whole different set of issues, you need to move the sensor, not the wiring as there is a bit more to this than many think.

I do stick with Bosch sensors, usually can get them from Amazon for around $50 unless they are wideband (not usually used for post Cats).

Again, how quickly does your car trigger the Cat Inefficiency codes?

Assume codes get triggered while highway cruising?
Damn I was wrong about brands then.

The light triggers once the catalyst monitor becomes ready.

I noticed it was a pending code yesterday after taking it on the highway to quicken the monitor readiness

Old 06-16-2013, 07:36 AM   #10
JimC-NH

My Ride: 2004 330Ci Vert
cat efficiency

On the keep it simple, most obvious observation....

Did you switch the wiring back to original positions when you put in the new sensors?

JimC-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:43 AM   #11
Dino1394

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC-NH View Post
On the keep it simple, most obvious observation....

Did you switch the wiring back to original positions when you put in the new sensors?

Yeah I did. I switched em back after I saw the code went to the other before finally ordering sensors.

I find it weird the car would really reject the sensors like that.

As for a dme update im 99% it was never updated (since the nav wasnt updated neither till i did it)

Last edited by Dino1394; 06-16-2013 at 08:45 AM.
Dino1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:16 AM   #12
shovelit

My Ride: 03 325xi and 04 330x
My experience with p0420 is this.
The post cat o2 readings should switch slowly between rich an lean indicating a properly functioning catalytic converter.
When these readings start switching rapidly (like pre-cat o2's) this code sets.
I can't remember ever seeing an o2 sensor fail this way (switching too rapidly).
Exhaust leaks can cause this. Otherwise I'd suspect the cat.
Oh yeah, DME update too.
shovelit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:37 AM   #13
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
It sounds like you are on the right road, no pun intended.

You have to be sure the post CAT sensor for Bank1 is connected to the right connector else the system will be unstable. I believe you can very easily plug the Bank2 sensor into the Bank1 connector, and vice versa, and this will confuse the computer.

If you got the P0420 to turn into a P0430, then you have a bad sensor.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:32 PM   #14
jfoj

Gotta rule out exhaust leak as well.

Time to get Torque Pro and start logging the O2 sensor(s) Voltage, this may likely give you a better idea as to what is going on. The O2 Voltage signature between banks and then swapping sensors and comparing the signature will quickly rule out sensor vs car issues.

Keep your original sensors, suggest you put the "good" original sensor back in the "bad" side of the exhaust. This could help you verify if your new sensors for some reason are not playing well.

P0420/P0430 codes are a pain in the backside and are not just an E46 or BMW issue, they plague many manufacturers.

Believe it or not, it is also possible that flakey cam sensor(s) and/or VANOS performance can cause issues as well.

Also manual transmission cars tend to have more issues as well due to more engine braking.

Is this car an automatic or manual transmission car?

Old 06-16-2013, 08:31 PM   #15
Dino1394

Thanks for all the responses everyone.

Im gonna try updating my DME soon. Since ive noticed sometimes the car feels like it bogs down at 2k when taking off

Should I try the fouler o2 trick as well?

I believe I plugged them in the right banks. Ill double check.

I never thought of buying torque pro. Has a lot of cool features. I just placed an order for the adapter to try it out.

Old 06-17-2013, 03:50 PM   #16
Dino1394

Update**

I tried to install the foulers but I dont have any bits big enough to drill out a hole big enough for the o2s, so I said screw it and just updated my dme

after updating I had a pending code P1515 (something about the idle speed?) I just cleared it once it threw the light a couple minutes later, since it'll come back if something is infact broken/not working

But the car's response felt better when hitting the gas. I have yet to drive it though

I connected the car to inpa and checked the voltages of the post o2s they were constant 0.40-0.43v. depending on if I revved the car up or not The pre cat o2s were doing whatever they do.

How does this sound to you guys?
Old 06-19-2013, 10:49 AM   #17
hummer

My Ride: 2001 330CI
The only time I've seen a cat eff code is after getting O2 adaptation limit codes, searching for leaks and not finding any and right before unplugged the MAF and then changed the MAF. No more code!
hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:55 PM   #18
Dino1394

Readings I took today from torque pro.

Something doesn't seem right no?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1371678877289.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	511948   Click image for larger version

Name:	1371678888240.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	511949   Click image for larger version

Name:	1371678896943.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	511950   Click image for larger version

Name:	1371678911580.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	511951  

Old 06-19-2013, 09:13 PM   #19
Dino1394

o2 readings from inpa, i think the cats are gone

Old 08-08-2013, 04:00 PM   #20
trizzuth

My Ride: gobbles oil like a B
My wife has both P0420 and P0430 so I will need to figure out what the issue is as well. I will probably unplug and reseat the o2 sensors at the connection and check for exhaust leaks. Then if that does not solve the issue or help me identify it, what is next, replace post cat O2's? She does have 175K miles on the original O2's.