E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-15-2013, 08:52 PM   #221
jimmyloose

My Ride: Der Kombi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumCranium View Post
If you have the 5HP19 with and MS43 ecu, everything I did in this write-up applies. I did look at the post you provided. I would purchase the 4-wire clutch switch and the associated clutch master cylinder. The new price is a little steep IMO so I'd look to source this from a junk yard. The 4-wire clutch is an update from the 3-wire and used a magnetic sensor (hall effect) to determine when the clutch is depressed. The associated master cylinder has a magnet attached inside the housing that provides the input to the clutch switch. That's how I'd approach it.
Turns out I had the GM Transmission (A5S 390R).

I ordered the 4-wire sensor and clutch master cylinder, installed it and wired it up like you have it in your guide - still doesn't turn over.

Where would you start checking next?
jimmyloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:59 PM   #222
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
That's odd. It should fire up. Since you have a GM, look for neil1138's thread on his swap. He identified a couple of pins you could short and the car would bypass the neutral safety switch.

Do you have enough voltage in the battery to fire it up - just thinking of not-so-obvious things too.

EWS has to be hooked up, pin on the DME, and the neutral safety (clutch) and it should fire.

Have you been trying to code the modules also?

/// MODS
/// Auto => 6-Spd Manual Conversion | Apex EC-7 | Koni/Ground Control Coilovers | Vorshlag Camber Plates | Meyle HD LCA | PowerFlex bushings | GruppeM CAI | Shark Injector | 6000k HID's and Fogs | BMW European MTechII | BMW Performance Shifter | ACS Mirrors and Rear Spoiler ///
TitaniumCranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:59 AM   #223
jimmyloose

My Ride: Der Kombi.
I'm reading through Neil's swap again. Still not super helpful.

Battery is still good.

I have the correct 4-wire sensor and the clutch neutral safety switch. I have the correct wires going to both pin23 on the DME, and pin8 on the EWS.

I have been trying to code the car with a friend of mine. The DME and the KOMBI don't show any errors. The only error codes my car throws are for the thermostat and code 128 EWS-Transmission-Parity.
jimmyloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:44 PM   #224
cyberkaa

Location: Sunnyvale, CA <-- Ithaca, NY <-- dirty jerz (201) Useful Posts: 25
My Ride: E46 332i,M3;E30 325i
Send a message via ICQ to cyberkaa Send a message via AIM to cyberkaa Send a message via MSN to cyberkaa Send a message via Yahoo to cyberkaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyloose View Post

Battery is still good.

I have the correct 4-wire sensor and the clutch neutral safety switch. I have the correct wires going to both pin23 on the DME, and pin8 on the EWS.

I have been trying to code the car with a friend of mine. The DME and the KOMBI don't show any errors. The only error codes my car throws are for the thermostat and code 128 EWS-Transmission-Parity.
If you or your friend have INPA, bring up the EWS module and see if engine start is barred for any of the 3 or 4 reasons listed on that screen.

M3 drive train conversion (S54 Swap, LSD, 6MT, suspension linkage) | UUC Stg 2 Organic Clutch | OEM M-Tech II Kit
KW V2 | BBS GT4 RE | Falken FK452 | Alcon 6-pot 365mm BBK | M3 steering wheel | Powerflex bushings

Quote:
Originally Posted by koven View Post
i'd rather be gapless with no bulge
cyberkaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:10 PM   #225
titun92

My Ride: bmw 330I
Hello i got question about this swap
i can use any Driveline bmw e46 manual models?
or only 330I/CI that 6 speed non - M -Tech
titun92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:33 PM   #226
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyloose View Post

Battery is still good.

I have not seen this error before. It suggests to me that you have another pin beside pin8 in the EWS or that the wrong pin from the brake wiring is going to pin8 on the EWS.

It's also possible that it's wired correctly but it just complaining about not being "aligned" with the DME. If you go into SSS Progman or DIS you can choose a coding option (I think it's from the DME menu) that will align the EWS with the DME.

That might be all that it is.

/// MODS
/// Auto => 6-Spd Manual Conversion | Apex EC-7 | Koni/Ground Control Coilovers | Vorshlag Camber Plates | Meyle HD LCA | PowerFlex bushings | GruppeM CAI | Shark Injector | 6000k HID's and Fogs | BMW European MTechII | BMW Performance Shifter | ACS Mirrors and Rear Spoiler ///
Old 06-18-2013, 09:52 PM   #227
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

Quote:
Originally Posted by titun92 View Post
Hello i got question about this swap
i can use any Driveline bmw e46 manual models?
or only 330I/CI that 6 speed non - M -Tech
With the non-M 6-speed transmission, you can ONLY use the drive line that came from non-M 6-speed car. It doesn't matter if the donor car is a coupe or a sedan but it must be a non-M 6-speed.

/// MODS
Old 06-24-2013, 10:36 PM   #228
ewcmr2

My Ride: Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewcmr2 View Post
Apparently so. My car having an M56 engine with MS45.1 DME just adds to the comfusion.

I took the violet and brown wires from my "clutch pedal fully depressed" switch and wired them with power & ground and then connected the blue to the EWS.

Car started right up

My MS45.1 DME pinout shows pin 23 as unused, hopefully just because the M56 never came with a manual transmission. I'll hook the other switches output to pin 23 and hope the cruise control will work...
Two year update;
After driving car with check engine light for years it was time for CA smog...I googled BMW coding with my zip code.
European Auto Source in Anaheim came up, they had good yelp reviews. I called them and they said they could code the car to manual no problem. They charged me a bunch of money to tell me they are clueless and can't code my '04 to manual.
Akbar in Upland, Eric was great, after spending a bunch of time on my car he couldn't get the coding done and charged accordingly $0.
German Auto Recycling in Riverside; WINNER! Thomas was great, he was able to code my M56 from auto to manual. Everything works as it should and car breezed through smog check.

If you are anywhere near southern California and need a car coded from auto to manual I highly recommend German Auto Recycling.
ewcmr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:14 AM   #229
eu teo

My Ride: 325xi
great write up for this manual swap
eu teo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 02:38 PM   #230
xmltok

My Ride: 2014 Carrera 4S
Send a message via AIM to xmltok
well done!
xmltok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 04:55 PM   #231
NumbaOneNewb

My Ride: 2001 bmw 330ci
*** The New Unofficial: Automatic ---&gt; 6 speed (ZHP Tranny) swap!!! - LOTS OF P

Yeah I think the ews needs I be told the car is a manual

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)
NumbaOneNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 05:19 PM   #232
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmltok View Post
well done!
Thanks! I gave you credit for some of the discovery process in this. This swap and all the subsequent work really exemplifies what fanatics is all about. This write up pulled resources from everyone and put it in a single thread.

Since my last post I have completed the mirror dip wiring and fully removed the automatic wiring loom. I used one of the wires from the loom to complete the mirror dip work. As it turns out if you were to pull the wiring loom out during the swap you could also pull the wires you need for the DME hookup from this loom. The wiring that connects to the EGR has the same pins that the DME uses and the wires are long enough. No need to source and purchase the 1/10" OC female connector pins.

I'm doing the write up on the mirror dip wiring with moar pics!

/// MODS

Last edited by TitaniumCranium; 10-27-2013 at 05:21 PM.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:29 PM   #233
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumbaOneNewb View Post
Yeah I think the ews needs I be told the car is a manual

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
It's more than just the EWS. He did a swap before I did mine. If you want it all to work like factory there's process to it. I outlined what I did in post 134 but to be fair there was a problem with one of my modules and I was forced to do a full recode of the car, which really isn't a bad thing to do anyway because if you're using a new version of progman to do the work you'll get all the latest code anyway. Then reprogram the DME with the latest code and align the EWS. All the lights go out and all the functions (besides mirror dip) work like factory.

/// MODS
Old 10-28-2013, 12:52 AM   #234
mxli330ci

My Ride: 01 drei dreißig ci
Send a message via Skype™ to mxli330ci
I will be doing this swap in about 2 weeks, I have read this thread from start to finish twice and I can't wait to start. I am a little worried about the programming part, please don't be too upset with me if I ask a question or two.

My ZF's reverse went out and I now have a stronger left leg thanks to ZF finding parking for us non-reversed is getting really old though.

great stuff here TitaniumCranium and all the collaborators!
Old 10-28-2013, 12:59 AM   #235
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
It's more than just the EWS. He did a swap before I did mine. If you want it all to work like factory there's process to it. I outlined what I did in post 134 but to be fair there was a problem with one of my modules and I was forced to do a full recode of the car, which really isn't a bad thing to do anyway because if you're using a new version of progman to do the work you'll get all the latest code anyway. Then reprogram the DME with the latest code and align the EWS. All the lights go out and all the functions (besides mirror dip) work like factory.
That's not exactly the case. When you "recode" a car, no software gets updated. They simply get reconfigured to the settings that are "default" for the equipment your car has. So if you remove option code 205 and recode all the modules, any parameter that said "automatic" will now say manual. The actual software doesn't change. There are modules that don't care about manual vs auto, so you can get away with recoding only a few.

Assuming you have the clutch sensor wired appropriately (in a US car), you'd need to recode the cluster and DSC module; possibly some others with various optional components (like PDC). For US cars, even a manual's EWS module is configured as "auto" -- all that auto/manual switch does is enable the clutch/neutral interlock (which functions as the park/neutral interlock on auto cars)

In BMW-lingo, to update the software would be to "reprogram" a module. In the E46's case, the only modules that can be updated in the field are the DME and EGS. For an auto to manual swap (on a non-M), the DME doesn't actually have to be reprogrammed (but if it's at an old version, it's best to just update it). The key is clearing the adaptions.

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 10-28-2013 at 01:00 AM.
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 04:47 PM   #236
mxli330ci

Quote:
This is the one last piece that is the holy grail of automatic to manual conversions, the one thing that almost no one seemed to get working... Until now!!! I can confirm without question that this is the solution for mirror dip on auto->manual conversions. Pin 7 of connector X11176 on the instrument cluster needs to be connected to X428, the Blue/Yellow wire buss connection above the fuse block in the glove box. After tracing all the wiring in the WDS, I ran test wires today to make certain the connection worked. I'll order all the right parts and the correct wire before I permanently wire this in but IT WORKS!!!

I'll post the parts list once I have the connectors and wire.

Quick question
For the mirror dip to happen... The car has to be programmed to Manual right?
Old 11-16-2013, 05:04 PM   #237
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

My guess is that it would work even if the car had not been programmed to manual yet. I can't say for sure though. I programmed the car before getting the mirror dip to work.

Worst case scenario though, even if it didn't work before the car was programmed, it would work when it was - win.

/// MODS
Old 11-16-2013, 06:41 PM   #238
mxli330ci

Re: *** The New Unofficial: Automatic ---&gt; 6 speed (ZHP Tranny) swap!!! - LOTS OF PIC

I haven't programmed mine, but I did the connections today, triple checked and no dip.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 11-16-2013, 10:47 PM   #239
mxli330ci

Re: *** The New Unofficial: Automatic ---&gt; 6 speed (ZHP Tranny) swap!!! - LOTS OF PIC

Washed my car, came home, put the car on reverse to get on my drive way and I heard a familiar sound... The mirror dips! No coding except for turning off the gear selector on the dash in PA soft.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:36 PM   #240
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxli330ci View Post
Washed my car, came home, put the car on reverse to get on my drive way and I heard a familiar sound... The mirror dips! No coding except for turning off the gear selector on the dash in PA soft.

When you turned off the gear indicator in PA soft, it must have removed option 205 (automatic gearbox) in the AKMB (cluster), which in effect recoded the cluster to think it was manual.

/// MODS