E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-15-2013, 04:32 PM   #1
xbombtrackx

My Ride: 03 325i
Rear windows/door locks/keys

Not sure how to search this one, I've read through the common issues. I picked up an 03 325i for a good price. Issues are as follows.
Locking issues. The two keys don't lock/unlock the doors. one is an original key, the other is one from the dealer. Central locking button on the center next to the hazards works. all of the doors lock and unlock by turning the key twice to the left or the right.
Windows. Both front windows work perfectly (knock on wood). Neither back window works while using the switches up front or back, no other noises when trying. When you hold the key in the door to the left or right (forget which direction) all four windows will roll down. when trying the same method in the opposite direction just the two front windows go back up. I took the doors apart to put 12v to both back window motors to roll them back up. cycled them a couple times to make sure the motors work and they do.
I'm good with wiring diagrams and a fluke. anyone on here have a decent print of the windows side of the house? Any other pointers in to the right direction would be appreciated.
xbombtrackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:14 PM   #2
Big Rick

My Ride: 325Xi
Search for "GM 5 Module" and see if that fits the bill...
Old 06-15-2013, 06:59 PM   #3
NumbaOneNewb

My Ride: 2001 bmw 330ci
Re: Rear windows/door locks/keys

this sounds a lot like this is caused by the coding in the gm5 module having been set to those odd preferences. I believe pa soft 1.4 can handle this,however, I am not 100% whether it can control the rear Windows ability to roll them back up. Ncsexpert on the other hand I know for a fact can do all this and more

Sent from my SPH-L710 using BimmerApp mobile app
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)
NumbaOneNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:21 PM   #4
xbombtrackx

pa soft 1.4 and Ncsexpert is a third party software i take it. does this explain Ncsexpert for the most part? http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1800496
Old 06-15-2013, 07:26 PM   #5
NumbaOneNewb

Re: Rear windows/door locks/keys

Pa soft is one of the most well used software other than the ncsexpert ediabas inpa software. Pa soft is more valuable for people who want user friendly tech

Sent from my SPH-L710 using BimmerApp mobile app
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)
Old 06-15-2013, 07:32 PM   #6
xbombtrackx

Where can i find a copy of the PA Soft? I'm seeing a few sellers but they look like they come with an OBDII to USB cable and a generic cd with the software. I have a cable already and a blue tooth version, prefer the cable though. even if this isnt the problem sounds like something nice to have/mess around with.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:34 PM   #7
NumbaOneNewb

you won't be able to run it without the hardware. if you have the cable already, try getting ncsexpert look for bmw standard tools 2.11

Last edited by NumbaOneNewb; 06-15-2013 at 07:36 PM.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:25 PM   #8
scottjoh

My Ride: '99 323i & '02 540i
Rear windows/door locks/keys

Sounds like the general module might be bad. There is no coding option that will disable the rear windows from working from front and rear controls. There is the rear window disable button, but, that only disables the rear window controls, not the fronts. The auto up feature on any of the windows could be non functional if the pinch strip was sensed as pinched or disconnected or the motor current is sensed as too compared to the stored reference current.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
scottjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:03 PM   #9
NumbaOneNewb

you see? learn something new everyday
Old 06-15-2013, 09:14 PM   #10
xbombtrackx

so the passenger front window is supposed to be auto up also? i have to hold it to bring it up, didn't think anything of it. There is a pinch strip on the rear too? if so ill look in to that too. it would be strange theyre both malfunctioning though.
I pulled the switch apart for the window disable. I didn't have my multi meter at the house at the time but it was clean and dry. kind of a pain to get back together, spring and a little sliding "arm". it took a couple of tries.
Im kind of leaning towards the general module though.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:12 PM   #11
scottjoh

My Ride: '99 323i & '02 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbombtrackx View Post
so the passenger front window is supposed to be auto up also? i have to hold it to bring it up, didn't think anything of it. There is a pinch strip on the rear too?
Since i can't tell what body style car you have I'll go over all of them (except the compact). The sedan and wagon have pinch strips at the top of all four windows. The coupe only has them at the top of the front windows and the convertible does not have any. If the front passenger window does not auto up then the problem might be the motor current reference stored for that window. Try opening the window all the way and then close the window, but, when you close the window, pull up on the switch all the way and keep pulling on the switch for an additional 2 seconds after the window has finished closing. If you have a convertible I found this little tid bit in the BMW documentation, "On the E46 Convertible the "one-touch function" for closing windows is only available on the driver's door as these models do not have antitrap protection." The rear vent windows on the coupe and convertible do not have pinch strips or motor over current anti-trap.

Last edited by scottjoh; 06-16-2013 at 09:23 AM.
scottjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:20 PM   #12
xbombtrackx

I have a sedan, also figured out that auto won't work with the door open, so front widows are back to functioning properly.