E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-17-2013, 03:33 PM   #141
bostonsc4

My Ride: BMW 323i
Cardio for today was a beautiful 27 mile bike ride on my new road bike at Nahant Beach: (This picture)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nahant_Beach_Boulevard_MA.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	511524  
bostonsc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:40 AM   #142
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
that's awesome man
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:57 PM   #143
bostonsc4

So I saw "Man of Steel" last night, and I left the theater with this face on

It encouraged me to step up my workouts, to say the least. Starting today.

8.03 mile run, took 1 hour 16 minutes, ran comfortably. Longest run I've ever done in a single stand. This was with the gf, she slept over last night so I couldn't go lift first as much as I wanted to.

Shoulder Day: Was so spent from the run that I just barely got through it.
BB Press: Bar x 12, 65 x 10 x 2, 95 x 3, 65 x 8 x 4, Bar x 12
Other things sort of irrelevant, just DB work with shrugs, lat raises, front raises, etc.

I burned about 1500 calories today alone. The day's only half over, now its time to eat like a cow.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:26 PM   #144
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD
BostonSC4's Progress Log

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonsc4 View Post

8.03 mile run, took 1 hour 16 minutes, ran comfortably. Longest run I've ever done in a single stand. This was with the gf, she slept over last night so I couldn't go lift first as much as I wanted to.

Other things sort of irrelevant, just DB work with shrugs, lat raises, front raises, etc.

I burned about 1500 calories today alone. The day's only half over, now its time to eat like a cow.
Next time run after. Especially if you're doing 8 miles!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 03:45 PM   #145
DylloS

Quote:

dude you're going backwards. that run is insane. You're going to look like a Kenyan dipped in white paint soon.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:37 PM   #146
bostonsc4

BostonSC4's Progress Log

Leg Day Today: warm up
Back squat: bar x 10, 95 x 10, 135 x 5
225 x 2 ( couldn't go ATG only parallel)
185x5, 185x3x2, 135x10, 95x10x3
I was as ATG as possible in every lift besides the 225. I need a video to demonstrate, cause I'm pretty happy with my form (I think)
BB Lunges: bar x 10, 95 x 10 x 3
Leg extensions: set of 15, 12, 10
Leg Curls: 15, 12, 10
Seated Calf Raises: 45lb plates 3x12

Old 06-22-2013, 12:14 PM   #147
bostonsc4

So as stated in the other thread, I was pretty fatigued in the legs / hip flexers from squatting 2 days ago, but I did a real nice stretchout before hand and warmed up extra long today with light weight. Just went really slow and focused on perfect form to get everything loose. By the time the working sets came around, I didn't even feel the soreness I felt good as new. And it showed...

Deadlift: 135 x 5, 185 x 5, 225 x 5, 275 x 3 225 x 5, 185 x 5, 135 x 10 x 3

Dabears I took your advice at one set of full intensity, and low and behold that my 1RM of last week became a set of 3 today to serve as that set of 3-5 we talked about. :O

After that, I just did some BB rows, some DB rows, and failed miserably at pull ups because every week I give my gym the benefit of the doubt and use their pull up bars that are not only massively too thick, but rubber coated in soft rubber that rotates in your hands. Overall a great day
Old 06-25-2013, 01:57 PM   #148
bostonsc4

Had a good day doing shoulders today, I got 95x4 for 4 sets today in BB standing press which is higher than last week's performance. Especially coming down to the chest and back up. What do some of you guys do for a good trap workout? I really want to pulvarize my traps and try to grow these things. I like my current traps, but I want them fully worked... Right now I'm really only doing DB shurgs, BB shrugs, and shrugging an EZ bar up to my chin. I can't think of anything else really.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:08 PM   #149
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
deadlifts and BB rows really hit your traps well

gj on the 275x3!

another suggestion would be to go for 245x4 afterwards instead of 225x5
Old 06-25-2013, 03:03 PM   #150
DylloS

Quote:
Had a good day doing shoulders today, I got 95x4 for 4 sets today in BB standing press which is higher than last week's performance. Especially coming down to the chest and back up. What do some of you guys do for a good trap workout? I really want to pulvarize my traps and try to grow these things. I like my current traps, but I want them fully worked... Right now I'm really only doing DB shurgs, BB shrugs, and shrugging an EZ bar up to my chin. I can't think of anything else really.
I think that's all you need really.

Last week I did this and my traps were sore for 4 days (yes I know soreness doesn't mean a good workout)

50 reps of 95lb clean and press as fast as I could. It was light but the burn came fast.

I did them in sets of 10 with about 2min rest in between each one.

The big trap builders are known to be deadlifts, cleans, and barbell shrugs. If you do those I'm sure you'll be fine. A bunch of random dumbbell shrugs here and there shouldn't be the difference between good traps and sh1tty traps.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:38 PM   #151
bostonsc4

Back Day today, posting before I get to the gym as I make a pre workout drink. I got 275 x 3 on deadlift last week, and I am going for 300 today. Hopefully I'll pull it, my 1RM is calculated to be at 306lb by strength standards, so we'll see. Will report back
Old 06-28-2013, 12:48 PM   #152
dabears

Curious why you are going for 1RM's?

I would suggest going for 280 x 3 personally, I think you'd see more benefit / attempt at linear progression? Or 275 x 4?

1RM are in the realm of powerlifting, repping heavy weight is for general growth and hypertrophy. Your 1RM will increase by increasing your 5RM, but it is debatable if your 1RM increases that your 5RM will increase as well I think.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:31 PM   #153
Glight

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
Curious why you are going for 1RM's?

I would suggest going for 280 x 3 personally, I think you'd see more benefit / attempt at linear progression? Or 275 x 4?

1RM are in the realm of powerlifting, repping heavy weight is for general growth and hypertrophy. Your 1RM will increase by increasing your 5RM, but it is debatable if your 1RM increases that your 5RM will increase as well I think.
I disagree with this. You get stronger by lifting heavy weights. If you never do 1rms you will lack the confidence to do them even if you increase your 5rm. Every big lift should be maxed out at least 2 or 3 times per year.

Heavy singles and doubles should be worked in frequently as well. I find that a bunch of heavy singles at 95% really works well on bench for example.
Glight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:46 PM   #154
dabears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glight View Post
I disagree with this. You get stronger by lifting heavy weights. If you never do 1rms you will lack the confidence to do them even if you increase your 5rm. Every big lift should be maxed out at least 2 or 3 times per year.

Heavy singles and doubles should be worked in frequently as well. I find that a bunch of heavy singles at 95% really works well on bench for example.
I was hoping I'd get someone like yourself as a devils advocate.

Could you explain more about the second part? Do you find 1RM's improve your ability to lift heavy weights for reps and general strength increases?

My comment was more to how he's been deadlifting lately... it has been 225x5 then 275x1 then 225x5 (previously) and last week I said he should try 275x3 and he did. What I was getting at is that he seems to be doing only 1RM "topsets" and then going back down to a comfort zone.

I think it would be better if he either did 275 x 2-3 for at least a couple sets, and stayed in that "heavy zone" for more volume/time.

I know you personally gave me a rep scheme for deadlifts that was similar to his scheme, but I was doing my heavy topset portion for 2 reps x 5 sets, not one single rep then back down to 225.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:50 PM   #155
bgsmith

My Ride: No longer an e46
Send a message via AIM to bgsmith
Quote:

I agree 100%, I have been going heavy on bench lately doing several lower rep sets of 225 and up, I put up 275 for a new 1RM last week. My chest workouts look something like the below recently.

135x6
185x6
205x8-10
225x4-6
225x3
225x2
225x2
255x2
275x1
Old 06-28-2013, 02:06 PM   #156
Glight

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
I was hoping I'd get someone like yourself as a devils advocate.

Could you explain more about the second part? Do you find 1RM's improve your ability to lift heavy weights for reps and general strength increases?

My comment was more to how he's been deadlifting lately... it has been 225x5 then 275x1 then 225x5 (previously) and last week I said he should try 275x3 and he did. What I was getting at is that he seems to be doing only 1RM "topsets" and then going back down to a comfort zone.

I think it would be better if he either did 275 x 2-3 for at least a couple sets, and stayed in that "heavy zone" for more volume/time.

I know you personally gave me a rep scheme for deadlifts that was similar to his scheme, but I was doing my heavy topset portion for 2 reps x 5 sets, not one single rep then back down to 225.
My main point that I try to get across to people is that building strength includes a lot more than just building muscle. If it were just about building muscle, then the people going solely for hypertrophy would be the strongest people on the planet. Obviously they're not necessarily mainly due to the fact that a lot of strength comes now only from muscle size / density but also from the varying neuromuscular pathways that are developed while lifting. Working 1rm will develop more of these than doing sets of 5.

I find that 1rm has many benefits for strength building, the most important being confidence.

I've had times where I could squat 425 but wouldn't be sure I could hit 350 for a set of 5 but other times where I could squat 375 for a set of 5 but wasn't sure I could get 400 for a single. All depends on what you've been working and what kind of confidence you have under the bar. 1rms will help to build that confidence like nothing else IME.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll be happy to give you my thoughts for what they're worth.

Everyone always seems to be scared to go for 1rms and I'm not sure why. If you're never failing a rep there's something wrong. I think injury is much more likely on the last rep of a 5rm than on any 1rm attempt.
Glight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:32 PM   #157
dabears

Quote:
My main point that I try to get across to people is that building strength includes a lot more than just building muscle. If it were just about building muscle, then the people going solely for hypertrophy would be the strongest people on the planet. Obviously they're not necessarily mainly due to the fact that a lot of strength comes now only from muscle size / density but also from the varying neuromuscular pathways that are developed while lifting. Working 1rm will develop more of these than doing sets of 5.

I find that 1rm has many benefits for strength building, the most important being confidence.

I've had times where I could squat 425 but wouldn't be sure I could hit 350 for a set of 5 but other times where I could squat 375 for a set of 5 but wasn't sure I could get 400 for a single. All depends on what you've been working and what kind of confidence you have under the bar. 1rms will help to build that confidence like nothing else IME.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll be happy to give you my thoughts for what they're worth.

Everyone always seems to be scared to go for 1rms and I'm not sure why. If you're never failing a rep there's something wrong. I think injury is much more likely on the last rep of a 5rm than on any 1rm attempt.
I'm in agreement with all of this, and very well said. Especially the part about more likely to obtain an injury doing 5RM than 1RM... anytime I've "injured" myself or tweaked something, it was because my lower back was fatigued at the end of a multi rep set and I just wanted to complete full set, not because I couldn't lift the weight. As long as you aren't doing anything super retarded like trying to shrug the weight up just to get the 1RM, it would be pretty hard to hurt yourself fresh for deadlift especially. You just won't get it off the floor very far, if at all.

I rarely do 1RM or even 2RM, and probably should more often... especially on bench and deadlift. Bench is a strange animal that seems to benefit from a whole bunch of different schemes. And it certainly tests how good your form is, not just from an injury standpoint but if you have shotty form you aren't completing the lift... period.

Again, appreciated... I think to sum up your point it would be fair to say "Building a ton of muscle is great, but is pretty useless if you don't create the ability to recruit it via heavy low rep lifting... which builds both CNS recruitment and confidence in yourself"
Old 06-28-2013, 03:26 PM   #158
bostonsc4

An interesting discussion! I enjoyed the last few posts, and I enjoyed even more than that completing a 1RM of 300 on DL today Today was a crazy day in the gym, I just felt so energized and strong in all my lifts today. Someone send me back to Krypton (hehe jk, just pumped about today's lift)

Deadlift: 95 x 5, 135 x 5, 185 x 5, 225 x 3, 300x1, 245 x 5, 185 x 8 x 2, 135 x 10 x2
Heavy Lat Pulldowns: 80 x 10, 90 x 10, 100 x 8, 90 x 10, 80 x 10
BB Shrugs: bar x 10, 95 x 10, 135 x 5, 95 x 10 x 2, bar x 20
Seated Row Machine: 90 x 10 x 3
3 sets of 3 full body pull ups, all I could muster after all that.

I've got a 5 mile run planned for this evening with the lady, another great day.

Last edited by bostonsc4; 06-28-2013 at 03:27 PM.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:06 PM   #159
dabears

Good job on lifts, I like that 245 x 5 after.. you got the best of both worlds. I bet it felt light after the 1RM.

if you are running 5 miles (I think you are crazy), EAT. And then eat some more. And eat some more after that... if you get my point.

Basically you are tearing your muscles down working out (catabolic, muscle destroying), and instead of eating a big meal and resting (anabolic, muscle building/repairing) you are performing a very catabolic activity for 30+ minutes, when you are already impaired, muscle wise, from the damage you did earlier.

Not to mention putting yourself in a further caloric deficit, making it harder to eat your way out of!
Old 06-28-2013, 04:49 PM   #160
bostonsc4

BostonSC4's Progress Log

Quote:
Good job on lifts, I like that 245 x 5 after.. you got the best of both worlds. I bet it felt light after the 1RM.

if you are running 5 miles (I think you are crazy), EAT. And then eat some more. And eat some more after that... if you get my point.

Basically you are tearing your muscles down working out (catabolic, muscle destroying), and instead of eating a big meal and resting (anabolic, muscle building/repairing) you are performing a very catabolic activity for 30+ minutes, when you are already impaired, muscle wise, from the damage you did earlier.

Not to mention putting yourself in a further caloric deficit, making it harder to eat your way out of!
Thank you sir. And yes that 245 felt like a feather for 3 reps, and really had to dig deep for the last 2. Something about deadlifts, I can really tell that my form is working for me and helping me through these lifts. On bench and squat every so often I feel like my form needs refinement, but deadlifts have felt great for me for a long time. That's probably why it has seen the most progress of any movement I've done. That being said, on 300, if I felt my form degrading I would have bailed on the lift, but I felt everything stay solid and worked through it an honestly felt like I had room for just a little bit more.

As far as the discussion on 1rm goes. I think it's because I'm trying to taper off away from hypertrophy, since I have no need for muscle mass before basic, I only desire the performance and strength gains until September. Training at VERY heavy for me, and ending with pretty light I feel like has given me great results as far as strength and endurance is concerned.

I weighed in at 155.0 this morning, which has been consistent since May when I came down from 162 due to my rotator cuff problem. What do you guys make of the fact that I'm remaining 155 despite lifting and running 5x a week each? All while strength is significantly increasing.