E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-16-2013, 03:33 PM   #241
briangl92

My Ride: A08 ZSP ZPP SULEV
It's interesting to note that for 2005 models, the warranty appears to be the same, but they muddled it up by compiling M54 and M56 info into one document. The information seems to be the same, just a lot harder to find.

Also of note, the Federal Emissions Warranty is shorter than the California Emissions Warranty, however:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004 SULEV Warranty Handbook
The California Emissions Control System Limited Warranty applies to all 2004 U.S. specification BMW SULEV (PZEV) vehicles sold, leased, and/or registered in California, Maine, Massachusetts, New York or Vermont.
and thus supersede the Federal Warranty.

Last edited by briangl92; 05-16-2013 at 03:35 PM.
briangl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:50 PM   #242
Omega199

My Ride: 2006 E46
The build date on the door sill sticker is 09/05. The tenth digit of the vin is (6). The vehicle went through pre-delivery inspection 10/17/05 at the BMW of Encinitas, CA according to CarFax.
Omega199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:37 PM   #243
bimmerbeamer

My Ride: 03 325iT
Just wanted to give everyone an update. BMW NA paid for my VANOS oil hose. I laid out my entire legal argument and they decided to goodwill it. I asked them how it wasn't covered under warranty and the lady sounded very annoyed and said, "We're going to fix it." I guess they didn't want to set a precedent that it should be fixed, but they have no legal argument against it either. Good luck everyone.
bimmerbeamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:05 PM   #244
eneka

My Ride: 2003 325i
@bimmerbeamer which dealer did you go to in LA? I want to get my vanos oil tube fixed too...
Old 05-28-2013, 06:27 PM   #245
bimmerbeamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eneka View Post
@bimmerbeamer which dealer did you go to in LA? I want to get my vanos oil tube fixed too...
The dealers don't have much say in this. I had to contact BMW NA legal and it took weeks before they agreed to cover it.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:55 PM   #246
briangl92

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerbeamer View Post
The dealers don't have much say in this. I had to contact BMW NA legal and it took weeks before they agreed to cover it.
The dealership acts, more or less, like the middle man in everything. That being said, some dealerships don't even bother checking with BMWNA because they don't want to go through the hassle and paperwork. It also has to do with the fact that they don't know the details of the warranty.

Glad you got yours covered
Old 06-06-2013, 10:23 PM   #247
BimmerG

My Ride: 2004 325i SULEV
Could someone give me a good reason to keep my 2004 SULEV with only 65k lmiles? I'm just afraid to drive my car to far out of town where there are no BMW dealers and it would be a nightmare to tow it to the dealer and deal with all those warranty things that people are talking about in this forum. Love the car but tired of constantly having those thoughts in a back of my head...
BimmerG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:01 AM   #248
briangl92

***The Official M56 SULEV Warranty Documents, Check-in, and Questions Thread***

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerG View Post
Could someone give me a good reason to keep my 2004 SULEV with only 65k lmiles? I'm just afraid to drive my car to far out of town where there are no BMW dealers and it would be a nightmare to tow it to the dealer and deal with all those warranty things that people are talking about in this forum. Love the car but tired of constantly having those thoughts in a back of my head...
Major problems are incredibly rare. The only truly expensive thing is the gas tank/fuel pump assembly, and I've only heard of two instances of people needing replacements: one person drove over a rock and caved theirs in, and another guy was having too much pressure bleeding off over night. I've yet to hear of an M56 fuel pump dying, believe it or not.

It's the stupid things like expansion tanks and water pumps that are more worrisome, in my opinion. The 'common' E46 problems.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-07-2013, 01:38 AM   #249
MMMGP

My Ride: 325iT, 1997 M3 Sedan
I'm still on the original radiator at 120K, every other cooling part has been replaced.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:27 AM   #250
briangl92

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMGP View Post
I'm still on the original radiator at 120K, every other cooling part has been replaced.
Radiator problems are rare across the board for E46s. Usually it's when a manual fan explodes and takes out the radiator. Our radiator is similar to the M54 radiator, just coated with an ozone protecting coating. They should be interchangeable.

Old 06-07-2013, 09:45 AM   #251
BimmerG

Quote:
Originally Posted by briangl92 View Post
Major problems are incredibly rare. The only truly expensive thing is the gas tank/fuel pump assembly, and I've only heard of two instances of people needing replacements: one person drove over a rock and caved theirs in, and another guy was having too much pressure bleeding off over night. I've yet to hear of an M56 fuel pump dying, believe it or not.

It's the stupid things like expansion tanks and water pumps that are more worrisome, in my opinion. The 'common' E46 problems.

I thought I've seen quite a few posts about FP failing on SULEVs and people having "fun" dealing with dealers over 15/15000 warranty.
I've replaced most of the cooling related parts as PM's and always took care of my car. Now I need new brakes, tires, CA and CAB's, door rubber seal and few minor things that will cost me about $2K if I do it myself.
My biggest concern is a FP that may fail 200 miles away from home town and all the headaches associated with a failure like that.
Mu car has morning "sickness" since I bought it as CPO with 36k miles 5yrs ago. In warm weather only it has a slight hesitation for about 5 -10 seconds and then it goes away. Dealer didn't find anything wrong with it (no sh...t, it was still on full warranty then). This morning hesitation goes away during cold winter months. If I prime FP for a few seconds before I start the engine, hesitation is a less noticeable. I'd say if the car seats less than 8 hrs there is no hesitation. So it tells me that there is something wrong with the FP pressure and it's just a matter of time when it'll fail.
Anyway, sorry for the long story but I can't get it out of my head that this stupid FP design can leave me in a middle of the road one day thinking that I should've trade it in when it was still worth something to E90 or something with normal FP design that can be replaced in 20 min on a side of the road.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:11 PM   #252
BimmerG

Does anyone know how to check fuel pressure on M56 engine?

I opened up fuel rail and there was no schrader valve to connect fuel pressure gauge
Old 06-07-2013, 10:49 PM   #253
briangl92

Quote:
I thought I've seen quite a few posts about FP failing on SULEVs and people having "fun" dealing with dealers over 15/15000 warranty.
I've replaced most of the cooling related parts as PM's and always took care of my car. Now I need new brakes, tires, CA and CAB's, door rubber seal and few minor things that will cost me about $2K if I do it myself.
My biggest concern is a FP that may fail 200 miles away from home town and all the headaches associated with a failure like that.
Mu car has morning "sickness" since I bought it as CPO with 36k miles 5yrs ago. In warm weather only it has a slight hesitation for about 5 -10 seconds and then it goes away. Dealer didn't find anything wrong with it (no sh...t, it was still on full warranty then). This morning hesitation goes away during cold winter months. If I prime FP for a few seconds before I start the engine, hesitation is a less noticeable. I'd say if the car seats less than 8 hrs there is no hesitation. So it tells me that there is something wrong with the FP pressure and it's just a matter of time when it'll fail.
Anyway, sorry for the long story but I can't get it out of my head that this stupid FP design can leave me in a middle of the road one day thinking that I should've trade it in when it was still worth something to E90 or something with normal FP design that can be replaced in 20 min on a side of the road.
Most of the issues aren't fuel pump failure though. They're smaller hassles like VANOS lines leaking, or VANOS seals that are M56/M54 common problems, but are covered for us.

Before you go ordering expensive new door seals, try Gummi Pflege (assuming your seals are creaky). It's available at AutohausAZ. Apply it until the seals won't soak up any more.

It sounds like you're having the same issue as a guy earlier in this thread - excessive pressure bleeding off. It's not uncommon or faulty for it to take a few seconds to start after sitting for a while, but it's typically when it's colder. If I recall, the guy who had an issue also had it primarily in warmer weather.

E90s also are SULEV lol Depending on which engine, you'll get stuck with similar issues and hassles. I don't think they get quite as long of a warranty, if I remember correctly.

Old 06-08-2013, 10:18 AM   #254
BimmerG

Quote:
Originally Posted by briangl92 View Post
Most of the issues aren't fuel pump failure though. They're smaller hassles like VANOS lines leaking, or VANOS seals that are M56/M54 common problems, but are covered for us.

Before you go ordering expensive new door seals, try Gummi Pflege (assuming your seals are creaky). It's available at AutohausAZ. Apply it until the seals won't soak up any more.

It sounds like you're having the same issue as a guy earlier in this thread - excessive pressure bleeding off. It's not uncommon or faulty for it to take a few seconds to start after sitting for a while, but it's typically when it's colder. If I recall, the guy who had an issue also had it primarily in warmer weather.

E90s also are SULEV lol Depending on which engine, you'll get stuck with similar issues and hassles. I don't think they get quite as long of a warranty, if I remember correctly.

Thanks for the advice but Gummi Pflege will not help in my case, too late I need to replace only one driver side.
I may use it for the rest of the seals that are still fine though.

I'd like to find a way to check fuel pressure on this ..... car so I could take it to the dealer and try to convince them that the tank needs replacement but I can't find any info on how to do it anywhere.....

New SULEVS don't have this stupid design... but I hate to have a car payment again
Old 06-09-2013, 11:38 PM   #255
bimmerbeamer

Quote:
I had my fuel pump/tank assembly replaced under warranty. It hadn't failed yet, but was taking a bit to start sometimes. I talked to my independent mechanic and he says he's only seen one actual complete failure.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:23 AM   #256
BimmerG

Quote:
I had my fuel pump/tank assembly replaced under warranty. It hadn't failed yet, but was taking a bit to start sometimes. I talked to my independent mechanic and he says he's only seen one actual complete failure.
Thank you.

Could you please tell me how many miles was on yours when it was replaced and how did you approach your dealer to do that?
Do they warranty the new tank/pump for another 15/150000 or just whatever is left from the original date of car build?
Old 06-10-2013, 10:59 AM   #257
bimmerbeamer

Quote:
Thank you.

Could you please tell me how many miles was on yours when it was replaced and how did you approach your dealer to do that?
Do they warranty the new tank/pump for another 15/150000 or just whatever is left from the original date of car build?
I had around 110k on the car. My car started rough one morning and the SES light went off, I turned off the car and then restarted again, it restarted ok, so I drove the car. Couple days later, I started the car again, it was really rough, I didn't have time to deal with it then, I turned off the car and just took the other car. Next time I started the car to drive it to the mechanic, it started and then died. After that it wouldn't start at all.

Had it towed to the dealer. SES light was on and I had 7 codes on the car. They replaced the secondary air pump and two ignition coils which fixed the not starting problem. The mechanics then noticed that the car was still taking a while to start so they also replaced the fuel tank/fuel pump assembly. I don't know how hard it was to start when the mechanics started it that they decided to replace it, but I've been having intermittent starts that take 2-4 seconds since about 55k in 2006.

I'm not sure, but I think all emissions components are warrantied up until the original 15/150 or x days from the date of repair, whichever is longer. So I believe if you walk in at 149k or a few days before the 15 years, they do warranty the repairs for something like 90 days. I haven't had to look this one up since I'm not near the 15 or 150 yet.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:16 PM   #258
BimmerG

Quote:
I had around 110k on the car. My car started rough one morning and the SES light went off, I turned off the car and then restarted again, it restarted ok, so I drove the car. Couple days later, I started the car again, it was really rough, I didn't have time to deal with it then, I turned off the car and just took the other car. Next time I started the car to drive it to the mechanic, it started and then died. After that it wouldn't start at all.

Had it towed to the dealer. SES light was on and I had 7 codes on the car. They replaced the secondary air pump and two ignition coils which fixed the not starting problem. The mechanics then noticed that the car was still taking a while to start so they also replaced the fuel tank/fuel pump assembly. I don't know how hard it was to start when the mechanics started it that they decided to replace it, but I've been having intermittent starts that take 2-4 seconds since about 55k in 2006.

I'm not sure, but I think all emissions components are warrantied up until the original 15/150 or x days from the date of repair, whichever is longer. So I believe if you walk in at 149k or a few days before the 15 years, they do warranty the repairs for something like 90 days. I haven't had to look this one up since I'm not near the 15 or 150 yet.

Thanks a lot for the info.

I'm just trying to decide if I should keep the car and put in $$$$ for brakes, CA, CAB's, some other things or just trade in for 2010 - 2011 e90.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:06 PM   #259
gselsidi

My Ride: 2005 325i M56
Quote:
Thanks a lot for the info.

I'm just trying to decide if I should keep the car and put in $$$$ for brakes, CA, CAB's, some other things or just trade in for 2010 - 2011 e90.
Honestly dude SULEV is the biggest free ride you can get as far as owning a BMW goes. Having to fix all these issues outside of warranty is insane. Getting an e90 will still give you problems, sucks but new BMW just plain ol suck in reliability. I was driving a brand new 2013 and already the transmission was shifting funny.

Next car is def. going to be Asian again such as Lexus, If it was me I def. would not trade up to another BMW, unless I was sure it was pretty much bullet proof.
gselsidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:10 PM   #260
gselsidi

My Ride: 2005 325i M56
Well my dealer denied my Gas tank warranty as there was a dent on the gas tank and said there is impact damage so they won't cover it. Going tomorrow to speak to the service manager and either get it resolved or hand him my 30 day notice until a lawsuit. The dent could of came from anything including factory, there is no sign of impact underneath where the dent is, you would expect to see scratches or something, but the metal looks sparkling new. Either way it's pretty much their word against mine and I don't think their claim will hold up in court if it goes that far.

They also mentioned there was no fuel in the fuel canister, which is part of the fuel system, the canister is all the way on the other side so impact on the fuel tank wouldn't cause it to fail, will keep you guys updated.

Last edited by gselsidi; 06-17-2013 at 09:13 PM.
gselsidi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
m56, sulev