E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Australia

Australia
Check out other E46Fanatics members rides in the Enthusist Directory!

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-15-2013, 02:38 AM   #41
JS330

My Ride: '01 330Ci 3 Pedals
Gahhh i really really want this!
JS330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 03:01 AM   #42
PeteAU

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS330 View Post
Gahhh i really really want this!
Just PM me your address and I'll put a blank board in the post. I got 10 made so don't really need them.
PeteAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 03:09 AM   #43
JS330

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppmz View Post
Just PM me your address and I'll put a blank board in the post. I got 10 made so don't really need them.
Haha serious? I'd love to try this out!!
Old 06-17-2013, 07:32 AM   #44
RangoM3

My Ride: E46 M3 SMG
Quote:
Firstly, fantastic work, I've been looking for possibilities with the Raspberry PI incar for a while, you've cracked it with that IBUS interface!

My skills with a soldering iron are not good enough to create that board, i'd be very willing to buy one from you if you fancy making another with one of those spare blank boards !!

Malc
RangoM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:17 AM   #45
spacemaster

My Ride: E46 328i
Wao. Fantastic... I have Xbox 1 with xbmc. I still love it.
Any chance to detail instruction ?
spacemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:19 AM   #46
bgennette

My Ride: l322 Range Rover
Some Clarifications

Hi again ppmz,

I'm very interested in this project and will probably start building a version of the interface board this weekend. But first I need to check a few things (and I'm sure other watchers will need to know these too).

I worked out that you took pin 16 from the ATtiny to pin 5 (on/off) on the LM25765 voltage regulator module (orange jumper wire in picture from your www.classiccomputing.info web site). I'll be using a dual power module (5V @ 2A & 3.3V @ 0.5A) which will constitute a 3rd board in my setup.

The rest of this is just my first (rough) summary of your project -
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
PiBUS - Raspberry Pi in an IBus BMW

This project by ppmz aims to interface a small computer with the existing infotainment system (Mark 3 or 4) found in many BMW vehicles. It will appear on the normal in-car screen as an extra menu item.
The BMW Video module only has a mono sound input available, so to get video with stereo sound the CD Changer inputs need to be commandeered. The existing (or not) CD Changer needs to be removed and the computer installed in its place. This also requires running the CD and the Aux Video at the same time, but the infotainment program in the Instrument Cluster is able to be told to do just that.

The computer chosen ($30-50 Raspberry Pi) has an SD Card slot, 1 (or 2) usb ports, a network connector (Model B only), audio and video outputs plus lots of low voltage general purpose input/output lines. The operating system and programs are stored on the SD Card while data can be stored on the SD Card and/or on USB drives (so a USB extension cable can be run to wherever you desire to place a hub for additional inputs).
The main software is linux running XBMC (XBox Media Centre) with helper scripts to interface to the BMW IBus and to generate keyboard press codes from radio button presses and turns. It makes XBMC think you are using a real mouse & keyboard while your BMW is made to think there's a CD Changer installed and operating. As well as music, pictures and videos XBMC can play live TV from a usb TV stick.

You will need to build a simple interface circuit to connect the Raspberry Pi to the BMW IBus.
This circuit draws a tiny amount of power while watching the 3 wire IBus system for activity.
It switches 5V, 2A power to the Raspberry Pi only when the vehicle is in use.
It outputs selected video and video switching control to the BMW's video module.
The video and video switch need to be connected from this interface to the BMW's Video Module.
8 connection need to be run from this interface to/from the Raspberry Pi computer.
You will need to connect a Raspberry Pi to the interface circuit and to the CD audio connector.
It requests data from various devices connected to the IBus (such as Date & Time, Gear position, etc)
It collects IBus messages generated from button presses and knob turns from the BMW radio head unit to pass to the XBMC program.
(And to any other programs you might add later).
It sends fake status messages to the BMW's Instrument Cluster to switch in external audio and video.
It sends video to the switch controlled by the ATtiny interface.
It sends audio directly to the CD Changer audio leads.

The 2 circuit boards can be connected to any part of the IBus but the audio has to go to the CD plug (left=1-2 & right=4-2) and the video has to go to the video module (White plug, pin 13) while the AUX Video-IN switch wire has to go to the video module (Blue plug, pin 7).

Downloads -
OpenELEC for Raspberry Pi (Custom version of linux + XBMC for Raspberry Pi)
pibus-2013052700.tar.xz (Translator/emulator between BMW IBus and Raspberry Pi)
skin.pm3-hd-bmw.zip (Custom skin for BMW logos, etc)
pibus-attiny2313a-2013052700.zip (Custom commands Raspberry Pi to/from ATtiny microcontroller)
music, pictures, video (To load into XBMC)

Tasks
Buy the parts - Raspberry Pi, SD Card, ATtiny and several other bits totaling ~$100.
Build the interface and power circuit(s).
Burn the program to the ATtiny (requires a cheap programmer circuit)
Setup your Raspberry Pi powered from a stand alone usb Hub with a monitor and keyboard in order to -
Download and install OpenELEC onto your Raspberry Pi SD card.
Download, extract and copy pibus from the pibus-2013052700.tar.xz file into /storage/ on the SD card.
From another computer connect to the Raspberry then run pibus with this command line: # ./pibus /dev/ttyAMA0
(Optional) Download an add-on as a zip file and copy it to 'Storage'. Install it through xbmc setup - from zip file.
Connect the Raspberry Pi to the interface and power circuit and install in car.
Run cables to CD plug and video module.
Test.
Load your media libraries (on the SD Card or on a usb stick) with your chosen content.

Please, please correct any misconceptions or errors I have made in this summary.

thanx again for a great project .

Here's my take on the interface board, using readily available, through hole components and a pre-assembled power supply. the 3 boards will be stacked on top of each other with the 85x56mm Pi on the bottom, 65x56mm interface in the centre and the 49x32mm power board on the top.

Click image for larger version

Name:	board stack.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	513426 Click image for larger version

Name:	pi_power_video_circuit.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	524921

And here's my analysis of the ATtiny interface program

Name:	flow1.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	524919 Click image for larger version

Name:	flow2.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	524920

Last edited by bgennette; 09-03-2013 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Added Circuit Pictures
bgennette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:42 AM   #47
PeteAU

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgennette View Post
Hi again ppmz,

I'm very interested in this project and will probably start building a version of the interface board this weekend. But first I need to check a few things (and I'm sure other watchers will need to know these too).
Good to hear, will be curious to see how you go. Sure you don't want a blank PCB? I think Auspost will do it with a 60c stamp. Or are you planning to improve it?

Quote:
I worked out that you took pin 16 from the ATtiny to pin 5 (on/off) on the LM25765 voltage regulator module (orange jumper wire in picture from your www.classiccomputing.info web site). I'll be using a dual power module (5V @ 2A & 3.3V @ 0.5A) which will constitute a 3rd board in my setup.
Yep that's right re pin 16. Why do you need 3.3V? I used the LP2950-3.0 for good reason, so standby power loss is very low. If you plan to use the dual module to power the ATtiny, you might find it wastes a fair bit of juice when your car is switched off.

Quote:
...so to get video with stereo sound the CD Changer inputs need to be commandeered. This also requires running the CD and the Aux Video at the same time, but the infotainment program in the Instrument Cluster is able to be told to do just that.
Not 100% right, it actually uses the RV camera Video input (pin 13), not aux. Aux video-in is a different pin isn't it?

Quote:
Please, please correct any misconceptions or errors I have made in this summary.

thanx again for a great project .
Looks right to me. The board/schematic/software has a few errors and omissions:

1) D7 shouldn't be there, it ruins the regulation.

2) F1 is meant to be a poly-fuse, but I didn't have one and just linked it.

3) Some of the transistors look like BJTs on the schematic, but MUST be FETs: T4, T5, T6, T7, T8.

4) When I was first wiring/soldering it I had trouble getting the video trigger to work (pin 17) and changed the FET to a BJT (and added a base resistor). Later I found I had a loose wire, so this change may or may not be necessary (probably isn't).

5) The ATtiny firmware has 'power off' disabled because I was still tweaking it. There is one line in the source-code you can comment back in.

6) Make sure you get a ATtiny2313A and not a ATtiny2313.

7) I bought nearly every part from futurlec.com. The relays are: "JRC-23F-03 SPDT 3V 1A PCB Relay".

8) The crystal is a 4.9152 MHz.

9) Most important thing of all - don't forget to adjust your powersupply to 5.0V before plugging it into the Pi.

Last edited by PeteAU; 06-18-2013 at 08:43 AM.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:54 AM   #48
PeteAU

Quote:
Please, please correct any misconceptions or errors I have made in this summary!
I hope you don't mind, but I used your text to flesh out the web site, and added some details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangoM3 View Post
My skills with a soldering iron are not good enough to create that board, i'd be very willing to buy one from you if you fancy making another with one of those spare blank boards !!
Sorry, no patience for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemaster View Post
Wao. Fantastic... I have Xbox 1 with xbmc. I still love it.
Any chance to detail instruction ?
The web page (link in the 1st post) has a bit more details now. Is something missing or not clear?

Last edited by PeteAU; 06-25-2013 at 04:56 AM.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:11 AM   #49
nicgala

My Ride: bmw e46 2004 318i
Question

Quote:
Haha serious? I'd love to try this out!!
l. o.l when a rasberrypis kicks in ist b
alck majic. Get some parts and build a roketship. l.o.lHow much?
no james bond in it. NO DISPERACT TO ANY DARK COLOR SKIN.
Price cheap for me !
nicgala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:28 AM   #50
JS330

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicgala View Post
Price cheap for me !
sorry, I don't speak failed abortion.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:32 AM   #51
E46 Coupe

My Ride: Rules1 & 2: S T F U!
Quote:
sorry, I don't speak failed abortion.
this guy has progressively gotten worse over time..

Quote:
Hello eveyone,
When I first purchased the 318i 04 a beeper will sound when the vehicle is in motion, whilst the handbrake is on. For one when a handbrrake is on the car shouldno run in drive. Brakes are at 90%. For a e46 318i 04 how often should the car be serviced ?. The service indicator read 18,000 km yet the car at times is ideling slightly rough, but is running like a dream after time. Can grade of fuel make a difference? I'm going to run the tank dry and then put a better grade of fuel. Is that a good idea? oil? I have a lot to learn yet will not touch at this stage and leave the car to a reputable mechanic. Unfortunatly the car has almost hit the 200,000km mark and for a 4 cyl and year 04, not too good yet the exterior has had been resprayed and apart from a very used leather the car looks not old. Can anyone please help with with some of the questions I typed in this thread. Thankyou Kindly !
Don't drive with the beeper on
Old 06-28-2013, 01:25 AM   #52
CortinaD

My Ride: lots
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46 Coupe View Post
this guy has progressively gotten worse over time..

Don't drive with the beeper on
I'll sort it.
CortinaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 03:50 AM   #53
PeteAU

Quote:
Here's my take on the interface board, using readily available, through hole components and a pre-assembled power supply. the 3 boards will be stacked on top of each other with the 85x56mm Pi on the bottom, 65x56mm interface in the centre and the 49x32mm power board on the top.

Attachment 513421 Attachment 513422 Attachment 513426
Wow, strip boards are hard work. Hopefully it'll work on the first smoke-test, otherwise good luck debugging
Keep us informed of progress.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:52 PM   #54
nicgala

ppmz the legend

Well done ppmz. does the sd car provide movies and or via usb. What is the extra rca for,I'm led to believe you place the digital antenna the coin box,run it along the door pillar,straight to the shark fin.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:01 PM   #55
nicgala

Quote:
OK so I made some progress, here's a teaser video :

hey legend,
What connections does the shark fin have. I hope a splitter, and or easy to connect on with an amp.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:36 PM   #56
realvtk

My Ride: E46 M3 Convertible
Awesome!!!!!
realvtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:08 AM   #57
PeteAU

Quote:
Well done ppmz. does the sd car provide movies and or via usb. What is the extra rca for,I'm led to believe you place the digital antenna the coin box,run it along the door pillar,straight to the shark fin.
Yes it reads mp3/movies from SD card and USB. I haven't made any antenna connections at all.

---

A few people have asked the same questions privately, so here are answers:

1) Which power supply did you use?
Picture Attached! They are about $2-3 on ebay, just search for "LM2596" and find one with the same measurements 44x21mm. In theory the better ones have two coils and are sometimes labelled "low ripple" - I didn't use one of these, but if you can find one small enough to fit, go for it.

2) Can you share the PCB design files?
Yes, they are now in the Downloads section here: http://www.classiccomputing.info/pibus/

3) Can you send me a blank board?
Yep. Just PayPal me a few dollars to cover the postage. I'll post using an envelope and some cardboard, so you have to accept the risk of it being lost or rejected in some sorting machine (should be ok). Send a PM for Paypal details.
To Australia: $2 AUD
To EU/UK/USA: $7 AUD

4) Can you send me a finished board?
No.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pibus-psu.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	514515   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130704_233123.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	159.0 KB
ID:	514520  

Last edited by PeteAU; 07-04-2013 at 08:50 AM.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:07 PM   #58
spacemaster

My Ride: E46 328i
pmed!
spacemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:08 PM   #59
nicgala

Quote:
Price cheap for me !
Who wrote this **** ? A person with a rocket ship taking them ?
Old 07-05-2013, 04:03 AM   #60
94vtirozguy

My Ride: 330 ci convertible
I was looking to replace the head unit of my gf's in her 2004 e46 because the radio functions do not work and the changer continually stuffs up and needs to be reset by pulling the fuse.

So as I read it I can pull the cd changer out and use this setup to replace it ?
94vtirozguy is offline   Reply With Quote