E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-18-2013, 08:01 AM   #261
BimmerG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: us
Posts: 18
My Ride: 2004 325i SULEV
Quote:
Originally Posted by gselsidi View Post
Honestly dude SULEV is the biggest free ride you can get as far as owning a BMW goes. Having to fix all these issues outside of warranty is insane. Getting an e90 will still give you problems, sucks but new BMW just plain ol suck in reliability. I was driving a brand new 2013 and already the transmission was shifting funny.

Next car is def. going to be Asian again such as Lexus, If it was me I def. would not trade up to another BMW, unless I was sure it was pretty much bullet proof.
Yes it should be the biggest free ride if you didn't have to fight for the stupid warranty and think about getting stranded in the middle of nowhere... .
I'm taking my car to the dealer this Friday. Asked them to have the car overnight and do the bleed down test. Will have to pay $150 diagnostic fee unless they will find something wrong with it. (wanted to do the bleed test myself but there is no valve on the injectors rail, couldn't find any information on how to do it on SULEV)
Just hate to take this car anywhere far enough out of town to have it towed to the dealer and fight for the warranty.... .
As of 2013 I did try 328xi and 320 xi. Transmissions work funny when i tried echo mode, their were fine in sport mode. I did noticed that new 3's handled less like a BMW I got used to. Brakes felt much softer.
BimmerG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:03 AM   #262
BimmerG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: us
Posts: 18
My Ride: 2004 325i SULEV
Quote:
Originally Posted by gselsidi View Post
Well my dealer denied my Gas tank warranty as there was a dent on the gas tank and said there is impact damage so they won't cover it. Going tomorrow to speak to the service manager and either get it resolved or hand him my 30 day notice until a lawsuit. The dent could of came from anything including factory, there is no sign of impact underneath where the dent is, you would expect to see scratches or something, but the metal looks sparkling new. Either way it's pretty much their word against mine and I don't think their claim will hold up in court if it goes that far.

They also mentioned there was no fuel in the fuel canister, which is part of the fuel system, the canister is all the way on the other side so impact on the fuel tank wouldn't cause it to fail, will keep you guys updated.
This is just outrages.

Perfect example of "warranty".
BimmerG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:51 PM   #263
jammin012
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 3
My Ride: 2005 325ci Conv
2005 325ci Conv SULEV 45K once a Cali car now living in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130619_114232a.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	303.4 KB
ID:	515472  
jammin012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 05:46 PM   #264
briangl92
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Scotts Valley
Posts: 9,515
My Ride: A08 ZSP ZPP SULEV
Quote:
Originally Posted by gselsidi View Post
Well my dealer denied my Gas tank warranty as there was a dent on the gas tank and said there is impact damage so they won't cover it. Going tomorrow to speak to the service manager and either get it resolved or hand him my 30 day notice until a lawsuit. The dent could of came from anything including factory, there is no sign of impact underneath where the dent is, you would expect to see scratches or something, but the metal looks sparkling new. Either way it's pretty much their word against mine and I don't think their claim will hold up in court if it goes that far.

They also mentioned there was no fuel in the fuel canister, which is part of the fuel system, the canister is all the way on the other side so impact on the fuel tank wouldn't cause it to fail, will keep you guys updated.
Any updates? I had heard of an instance where an M56 owner was having trouble filling the tank, and upon inpsection, the car had been driven over a rock that caved in the tank, but I think that's more serious that what you have going on. Keep us updated!
briangl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:41 AM   #265
briangl92
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Scotts Valley
Posts: 9,515
My Ride: A08 ZSP ZPP SULEV
***The Official M56 SULEV Warranty Documents, Check-in, and Questions Thread***

Just an update on my car. Last Tuesday it started having an issue where it felt like it was "stuttering" uphill between 1500-3000 RPM. No codes in the DSC, DME, or TCU. So first thought went to VANOS seals. Seals were done today with a Beisan kit. No improvement at all. Then thoughts went to the transmission. But tonight I did more research and found this:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=966614

Turns out all cars with this issue have the MS45.1 DME (the higher memory module) that some M54s and all M56 cars got. The car pulls timing by as much as 20 degrees going into a safe mode due to O2 sensor adaptations being out of range. This is solved by a DME reflash as well as some people replace O2 sensors. Very rarely is a code logged.

I'm getting my DME reflashed Wed and will keep everyone updated.


Sent from my iPhone
briangl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:44 PM   #266
chillinhardinanE46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: CALI
Posts: 79
My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by briangl92 View Post
Just an update on my car. Last Tuesday it started having an issue where it felt like it was "stuttering" uphill between 1500-3000 RPM. No codes in the DSC, DME, or TCU. So first thought went to VANOS seals. Seals were done today with a Beisan kit. No improvement at all. Then thoughts went to the transmission. But tonight I did more research and found this:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=966614

Turns out all cars with this issue have the MS45.1 DME (the higher memory module) that some M54s and all M56 cars got. The car pulls timing by as much as 20 degrees going into a safe mode due to O2 sensor adaptations being out of range. This is solved by a DME reflash as well as some people replace O2 sensors. Very rarely is a code logged.

I'm getting my DME reflashed Wed and will keep everyone updated.


Sent from my iPhone
I had something similar happen to me. I was driving on home on the fwy and there was an incline on in one section and I kep my eye on my dash board cuz my car was feeling weird. I noticed even tho i was giving it a bit more gas, my RPMs were dipping slightly. After a few seconds my RPMs went back up. Is this kinda like what happened to you? Im asking cuz I am considering upgradin my transmission software via the stealer-_- (unsure of anywhere else capable in my area) and if im gonna have them update it might as well have them do a reflash.
Any idea how to check what version I have other than hooking it up to a laptop? Hope the reflash works out for you
chillinhardinanE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:46 AM   #267
briangl92
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Scotts Valley
Posts: 9,515
My Ride: A08 ZSP ZPP SULEV
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillinhardinanE46 View Post
I had something similar happen to me. I was driving on home on the fwy and there was an incline on in one section and I kep my eye on my dash board cuz my car was feeling weird. I noticed even tho i was giving it a bit more gas, my RPMs were dipping slightly. After a few seconds my RPMs went back up. Is this kinda like what happened to you? Im asking cuz I am considering upgradin my transmission software via the stealer-_- (unsure of anywhere else capable in my area) and if im gonna have them update it might as well have them do a reflash.
Any idea how to check what version I have other than hooking it up to a laptop? Hope the reflash works out for you
I had my software reflashed. I was running the latest software already, but I had it reflashed in hopes that it would solve the problem and it didn't.

You could probably check via INPA if you're able to.
briangl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:02 PM   #268
briangl92
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Scotts Valley
Posts: 9,515
My Ride: A08 ZSP ZPP SULEV
Still no solution to my stuttering issue...hopefully I'll have a data logger on it this weekend and be able to figure out if it's the engine or transmission. While the new seals didn't fix my stuttering, I did pick up quite a bit of power. I also did the oil change using Genuine BMW oil.

A few interesting notes:
-An M3 strut brace comes into contact with the engine cover due to the higher valve cover of the M56. It's nothing catastrophic, but the brace and cover will chafe against each other and the plastic will wear down.

-While doing the VANOS last weekend, there was OEM RTV across the entire front and rear of the VANOS and head respectively. The M54 (to my knowledge) only uses it on the half-moons.

-The VCG is a metal gasket, similar to what's used on the S54

-Despite almost 94k miles, my spark plug well gasket and nut seals were still soft and pliable - not sure if a different material or supplier was used; spark plug well gasket was a dark brown versus the typical black

-Pictures of the M56 valve cover will be up in a few days. It is seal internally using torx bolts. There's nothing really visible.

I'm probably missing something. I'll post pictures of the M56 CCV and a few pictures of the VANOS job within the next day or so
briangl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:10 PM   #269
chillinhardinanE46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: CALI
Posts: 79
My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by briangl92 View Post
Still no solution to my stuttering issue...hopefully I'll have a data logger on it this weekend and be able to figure out if it's the engine or transmission. While the new seals didn't fix my stuttering, I did pick up quite a bit of power. I also did the oil change using Genuine BMW oil.

A few interesting notes:
-An M3 strut brace comes into contact with the engine cover due to the higher valve cover of the M56. It's nothing catastrophic, but the brace and cover will chafe against each other and the plastic will wear down.

-While doing the VANOS last weekend, there was OEM RTV across the entire front and rear of the VANOS and head respectively. The M54 (to my knowledge) only uses it on the half-moons.

-The VCG is a metal gasket, similar to what's used on the S54

-Despite almost 94k miles, my spark plug well gasket and nut seals were still soft and pliable - not sure if a different material or supplier was used; spark plug well gasket was a dark brown versus the typical black

-Pictures of the M56 valve cover will be up in a few days. It is seal internally using torx bolts. There's nothing really visible.

I'm probably missing something. I'll post pictures of the M56 CCV and a few pictures of the VANOS job within the next day or so
Hey Briangl92 can you post up a pic of the location of the OEM sealant. I have an oil leak Ive been trying to pin point and i think this might be the reason. I put RTV sealant just as the people with an M54 engine would. I am getting tiny puddles under the half moon sections in the front. Ill try and upload a pic to show yu what I mean.

Looking forward to seeing the inside of the Valve cover

Typing on Iphones suck beezalls
chillinhardinanE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:58 PM   #270
briangl92
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Scotts Valley
Posts: 9,515
My Ride: A08 ZSP ZPP SULEV
Unfortunately, there's not much to look at. It's all hidden behind panels secured with torn bolts. Also, the little bits in the valve cover are from casting. No sludge or debris was found All seals and gaskets were supplied by Swift Motorworks, with the Vanos seals coming from Beisan. Enjoy...




VANOS unit:


The CCV is inside the valve cover nearest the top of the photo:


CCV vent port (front of valve cover):


CCV towards rear of valve cover:

Last edited by briangl92; 08-01-2013 at 10:54 AM.
briangl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:01 AM   #271
briangl92
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Scotts Valley
Posts: 9,515
My Ride: A08 ZSP ZPP SULEV
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillinhardinanE46 View Post
Hey Briangl92 can you post up a pic of the location of the OEM sealant. I have an oil leak Ive been trying to pin point and i think this might be the reason. I put RTV sealant just as the people with an M54 engine would. I am getting tiny puddles under the half moon sections in the front. Ill try and upload a pic to show yu what I mean.

Looking forward to seeing the inside of the Valve cover

Typing on Iphones suck beezalls
As far as I can tell from all the records, my VCG has never been touched. That being said, there was a bead of red RTV that went from corner to corner left to right on the front and back of the head, not just around the half moons. The RTV was pretty difficult to get off and required scraping. When we (cyberkaa and I) put mine on, we went with Permatex Ultra Black for its oil resistance.
briangl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:06 AM   #272
briangl92
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Scotts Valley
Posts: 9,515
My Ride: A08 ZSP ZPP SULEV
Approximate location of RTV; we more or less used the existing RTV as a guide:
briangl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:14 AM   #273
JD284
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: MA
Posts: 5
My Ride: 2006 325Ci
Hi guys - just checking in. 2006 325CI with 42xxx miles, SULEV of course. No problems, just did the golf tee mod last week, sounds noticeably better. I am owner 2, I bought it with 38k miles on it. Just did the first oil change a few hundred miles ago.

I read for aftermarket CAI i would need something that fits the 330 - is this project worth it, for both sound and health aspect of the vehicle?

When I was car shopping I test drove a 330ci that had a K&N and it sounded good, should i expect similar results if I decide on one? (i think this oen would work - http://afepower.com/shop/details_new...artno=54-10451)

Edit: Also, I'm aqssuming a muffler delete voids the SULEV/emissions warranty, so I think with my mileage and having lots of warranty time left i shouldn't muck with that.

Last edited by JD284; 08-06-2013 at 02:40 PM.
JD284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:54 PM   #274
briangl92
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Scotts Valley
Posts: 9,515
My Ride: A08 ZSP ZPP SULEV
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD284 View Post
Hi guys - just checking in. 2006 325CI with 42xxx miles, SULEV of course. No problems, just did the golf tee mod last week, sounds noticeably better. I am owner 2, I bought it with 38k miles on it. Just did the first oil change a few hundred miles ago.

I read for aftermarket CAI i would need something that fits the 330 - is this project worth it, for both sound and health aspect of the vehicle?

When I was car shopping I test drove a 330ci that had a K&N and it sounded good, should i expect similar results if I decide on one? (i think this oen would work - http://afepower.com/shop/details_new...artno=54-10451)

Edit: Also, I'm aqssuming a muffler delete voids the SULEV/emissions warranty, so I think with my mileage and having lots of warranty time left i shouldn't muck with that.
Correct - the MAF on the 330i is the same as the one on our cars. Just make sure you hang on to the original air box in case you need to bring the car in to the dealer.

A muffler delete in all likelihood would void your warranty. You can do the "golf-tee" mod though.
briangl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:07 AM   #275
chillinhardinanE46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: CALI
Posts: 79
My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by briangl92 View Post
Approximate location of RTV; we more or less used the existing RTV as a guide:
Thanks for the pic Brian.

Im gonna have to open up re-do the RTV sealant on my car today.

Ive got oil showing up in the area marked in red, Since its a fairly new seal, Im almost sure it needs some extra RTV as you outlined
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oil spot.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	246.2 KB
ID:	521237  
chillinhardinanE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:10 AM   #276
briangl92
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Scotts Valley
Posts: 9,515
My Ride: A08 ZSP ZPP SULEV
So we pulled my transmission yesterday and it was absolute toast. It was a ZF 5HP19 with a 09 code. It will be replaced with a ZF 5HP19 with a 10 code tonight! The new-to-me transmission has 20k less miles than mine. Everything about the SULEV is very similar. There are small variances with bolt sizes and what not, but nothing too foreign.
briangl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:57 PM   #277
chillinhardinanE46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: CALI
Posts: 79
My Ride: 2003 325i
wow that sucks, but glad to hear you have a replacement and will have it in soon.

If you dont mind me asking where did you find your new transmission and how much did you pay for it?

I might have to go the same route since it sounds like my pump is going out plus th TC is done on my transmission.

How hard was it to drop the transmission?

good luck with the install
chillinhardinanE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:46 AM   #278
briangl92
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Scotts Valley
Posts: 9,515
My Ride: A08 ZSP ZPP SULEV
***The Official M56 SULEV Warranty Documents, Check-in, and Questions Thread***

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillinhardinanE46 View Post
wow that sucks, but glad to hear you have a replacement and will have it in soon.

If you dont mind me asking where did you find your new transmission and how much did you pay for it?

I might have to go the same route since it sounds like my pump is going out plus th TC is done on my transmission.

How hard was it to drop the transmission?

good luck with the install
I'd rather not disclose since it was a deal between friends. Market value is somewhere around $350, though. But they're not as common as the GMs from my research.

It's a full day job. I'd say a minimum of 7 hours. It took us 3 hours to pull out the second transmission and we were flying. Installation takes a bit longer and is a bit more tedious.

We finished at 1:15am. We both started after we got off work and what not, around 7ish.


Sent from my iPhone
briangl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:47 PM   #279
SoCaLe39
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SoCal
Posts: 978
My Ride: 06 M5 & 03 325i
Looks like I may be joining the SULEV club....although with a slight bit of hesitance. Been looking at E46 vehicles, specifically 02+ to use as a DD and threw down a deposit on an AW over Natural Brown interior after looking for about 2 months now. Looked at several E46s within my budget and all were beat or had the kind of history you don't want to see. The hesitant part is knowing there is a good chance at some point I'll have to swap out the tank for a low mileage used unit but since I do all the maintenance on my cars its not really a big deal. I figure I'll just find a tank and buy it to have on hand just in case. On the flip side, very excited as the color combination and overall condition of the car is really good. Hope to have it in my garage mid week and will share pics. Mods list has already started but I still need to finish my E60 M5 before I go down that road.
SoCaLe39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:22 PM   #280
SoCaLe39
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SoCal
Posts: 978
My Ride: 06 M5 & 03 325i
Some pics of the recent purchase...



SoCaLe39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
m56, sulev

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Censor is OFF





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use