E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-23-2012, 02:13 PM   #1
ttrinh9

My Ride: BMW e46 330i
Still Leaking Oil after OFHG,CCV,VCG!!

Hey guys,
Need some input here. Ive recently replaced all common oil leak components(OFHG,CCV,VCG) and still manage to have an oil leak. I am losing about a 1/2 quart a week or so. I took apart my bottom splash shield and saw dripping on the driver side of the shield. I am not sure if it's leaking PS line or oil. I am starting to think it's my oil pan gasket, but hoping its not! How do i check to make sure it is my oil pan gasket? Thanks guy!

You can see the minor leak on the driver's side.
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

This is the PS Line from the PS reservoir.
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]
ttrinh9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:17 PM   #2
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Could be your vanos oil line and four crush washers. Replace them all? Not much else that can leak except front timing chain cover or vanos gasket (if you didn't put a new one in)

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:17 PM   #3
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
I also highly suggest you trim and/or reclamp your power steering lines where possible. I see you still have the original clamps. Those are a no-no at this age/mileage.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:44 PM   #4
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
oil pan gasket?
Old 05-23-2012, 04:27 PM   #5
lmr2wil

My Ride: '00 328Ci
Losing 1/2 quart a week shouldn't be hard to find - assuming it isn't "leaking" out the tailpipe. I would fix the obvious P/S hose leaks as suggested above. Then, clean up the bay and drive it for a day or two. You should easily be able to tell what your issue is then.

Luke
lmr2wil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:11 PM   #6
kondzik

My Ride: 330i
clean the engine pretty good and drive it, you shoukd be able to see the leak

Last edited by kondzik; 05-23-2012 at 05:13 PM.
kondzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:34 PM   #7
ttrinh9

My Ride: BMW e46 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
Could be your vanos oil line and four crush washers. Replace them all? Not much else that can leak except front timing chain cover or vanos gasket (if you didn't put a new one in)
I've already replaced my Vanos line with the 4 crush washers along with it.
ttrinh9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:09 PM   #8
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Did you clean your guide tube when doing ccv?

The leak could be ps hose...and your oil loss might still be the ccv if you didn't clean guidetube. You replaced the entire ccv system, I assume.

You weren't burning oil beforehand at all? Could the amount you lost be attributed to more spirited driving perhaps?

If not, I'll just say the oil pan gasket does fail but rarely seems to.

Anyway, all you can really do was mentioned...clean things up and look again after driving a bit.

Also, I don't think anyone asked about the apparent 'green' drop on the PS pump. Are you losing coolant, perhaps? And using green coolant perhaps. If so, whatever you do, don't let Mango catch you!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:12 PM   #9
Sansho
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2001 325i
I had an oil leak that developed. Had a fresh VCG on, so that wasn't it. I cleaned the engine, and thought it was the OFHG, so replaced that, and crap that wasn't it. Already did the CCV and this started well after that. Sooooo, cleaned the engine again, and it turned out it was the oil pan gasket. Dealer wanted almost $1K to install a $30 gasket, so I did it myself.

Looking at the picture of your lower engine shield, leaks over on that side are usually power steering or coolant.

Anyhow, clean your engine squeeky clean, including all along just above the oil pan all around the engine and as much of the oil pan as you can reach (you'll have to contort a bit, but you can do it). Drive around a bit, then get out your high intensity light and look carefully along the entire oil pan gasket.

If it is the oil pan gasket, you can do it yourself. See my oil pan gasket observations.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:43 AM   #10
dmax

OP,

Sorry I didn't remember to give you a suggestion I used to write 'back in the day' when I wrote too much!

You could just try going on a long drive. It won't cure the leak, but might the oil loss.

The guidetube gets clogged from the ccv drain, and it's possible that a long drive (maybe an hour or two) will heat up the oil enough to remove humidity/frothing and clear out the guidetube that way...without removing it.

From the ccv drain inlet down, the guidetube is a pipe within a pipe...and a very thin pipe in between. There's now a new part for that that has just a single tube, but the cleaning of the old one requires removing the guidetube and spraying a cleaner into the inlet from that ccv drain hose...so you don't want to do this in the car as you'd get that cleaner into the oil. Or, you could replace it with the new part...presuming your year has one...I don't see that you mentioned what year your car is.

Also, you asked me (in PM) what that extra little hose was. If it was a thin vac hose, then maybe that's for the hose that attaches onto some ccv valves...like on mine. I don't recall getting that hose...I got just 4 of them. If this is a fifth hose, then you may or may not need it.

If your old ccv had a plug on it, then you don't need it. If your old ccv had a vac hose connecting to the valve, then you do need it...or rather, you need that hose connected. If you got the cold weather version, then the plug would be attached underneath the valve's insulation. Check your old ccv and make sure it had a plug on it so you know you don't need to worry. Otherwise, get in there with an inspection mirror and see if you see the end of a vac hose loose somewhere around...I'm sure you can find a way to get it on without removing too much. Hope so anyway.

Give your model year...someone will know whether you need it or not...offhand, I don't.

HTH.

Anyway, take your girl (or guy) for a nice long drive. Maybe this coming June 7 you might want to drive up to Springfield, NJ to see some really bad comedy...that might seriously help your car! LOL

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
Old 05-24-2012, 03:41 AM   #11
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
I'm not sure why no one on here ever mentions the dye pack kits that come with the special light and glasses. I used them all the time on other cars I have owned. The dye is inert, and won't hurt a thing. I have a few leaks here and there, and once they are fixed, I plan to start using the dye packs in my coolant and oil. It will make future leaks a lot easier to identify.
A case like this is a perfect use for dye. There is not even a real need to clean everything up that well. Just look for where the newly dyed oil is coming from.
I think they are a good tool, and it is a lot easier to do a monthly check for fluid leaks, when they glow a neon color. It makes it a lot easier to spot trouble early. Tracerline makes a fairly cheap starter kit that sells for about $60. You just need to put new dye in with each coolant or oil change.
I have a feeling that I am going to be blasted with a lot of reasons for why this is bad for BMW engines, but I am going to post it anyway. I have waited for a long time for some one else to bring it up, but it looks like I am going to have to be the one.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 03:47 PM   #12
trizzuth

My Ride: gobbles oil like a B
just might try the dye kit this weekend on the wife's car as I am in the exact same situation here. Replaced OFHG, CCV, VCG, VANOS LINE all within the past year! FFFFAAAWWWWWK! she's losing about a quart a week! WHAT THE F? Doing control arms this weekend, so I will try to wash the sh8t out of it and then closely inspect everything from underneath. Up top it looks pretty damned good.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:03 PM   #13
dmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by trizzuth View Post
just might try the dye kit this weekend on the wife's car as I am in the exact same situation here. Replaced OFHG, CCV, VCG, VANOS LINE all within the past year! FFFFAAAWWWWWK! she's losing about a quart a week! WHAT THE F? Doing control arms this weekend, so I will try to wash the sh8t out of it and then closely inspect everything from underneath. Up top it looks pretty damned good.
Go for a long drive...presumably you have highways in this place you live in which I might google someday!

Seriously. Go for a 2-3 hour cruise. Don't go with anyone named Gilligan, and wash the car nicely before you leave and you'll be assured of getting back.

Bring extra oil with you, but that might be enough to clean things out for you.

You might see a leak too, but I know that a clogged ccv drain is effectively the same as a bad ccv valve. You'd be recirculating oil laden air into the intake.

A recent set

Old 05-24-2012, 06:10 PM   #14
kwikt

My Ride: 2003 330i
Probably the oil pan gasket also. Mine seemed to be leaking from everywhere, after replacing the oil pan gasket the problem was solved.
kwikt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:55 PM   #15
trizzuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Go for a long drive...presumably you have highways in this place you live in which I might google someday!

Seriously. Go for a 2-3 hour cruise. Don't go with anyone named Gilligan, and wash the car nicely before you leave and you'll be assured of getting back.

Bring extra oil with you, but that might be enough to clean things out for you.

You might see a leak too, but I know that a clogged ccv drain is effectively the same as a bad ccv valve. You'd be recirculating oil laden air into the intake.
Google it, I beg of you!

First night of inspection turned up empty, but I didn't get a chance to drive it real good until today. So oil is leaking on the cardboard, going out now to check with uv light. Peeked in daylight and it is not obvious from underneath, so it may be the back of the valve cover gasket cause I saw some oil back there, but not much.. Will report back after uv check.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:28 AM   #16
trizzuth

Checked again and not much of anything from underneath. Has to be back section of VCg. Will check today when doing control arms, gorgeous day for some car work!,
Old 05-27-2012, 08:26 PM   #17
brodaiga

My Ride: 330ci
Make sure the valve cover itself is not cracked, I had this from overtorquing and had to buy a new valve cover
brodaiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:41 PM   #18
trizzuth

Did control arms, still cannot figure out what the fock is leaking, guess I will have to keep an eye on things. Replaced bacon-tastic vacuum line connected to the secondary air pump and really checked hard along the VCg area and didn't see anything obvious.. Thought rear main seal may be leaking arrggghh but once wiped clean, no more wet oil. Damnit I shall keep an eye on things and report back.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:06 PM   #19
Stryker336

My Ride: 2003 330xi
Hey Trizzuth, did you ever get this resolved? I'm having similar symptoms after a new VCG, OFHG, and had my ccv inspected a few months ago. Still getting a strong oil scent in the cabin and lose about 1/2 qt every 2 weeks.
Stryker336 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gasket, leak, oil, pan, vcg