E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-17-2013, 10:44 AM   #1
04cbM3

My Ride: M3
Sun block?

My interior is immaculate and I pide my self on that, it looks exactly the same as the day I bought it. My car is usually garaged to under some sort of car port/cover, but due to my current situation my car is being left outside in the hot south Georgia sun baking! I plan on at least buying a good cover but as of now I don't have one. So my question is would it be ok to put sun block or some sort of uv defence lotion on the exposed parts. The only problem I can see would be my seats or dash feeling greasy, but I would gladly take that trade off for my interior being safe
04cbM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:53 AM   #2
HiHoBrian
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 05 M3
Re: Sun block?

I'm not sure actual sunblock would work. Many leather conditioners have a uv protectant in them that will help. To add to your paranoia you will want to treat the wiper cowl, window gaskets,and other black plastic trim on the exterior as well. Those fade and crack in the sun pretty bad without attention.

Hopefully someone else here can suggest a proven product for you.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-17-2013, 11:24 AM   #3
04cbM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoBrian View Post
I'm not sure actual sunblock would work. Many leather conditioners have a uv protectant in them that will help. To add to your paranoia you will want to treat the wiper cowl, window gaskets,and other black plastic trim on the exterior as well. Those fade and crack in the sun pretty bad without attention.

Hopefully someone else here can suggest a proven product for you.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
I use a leather conditioner, but I don't want to over use it and thanks as if I didn't have enough to worry about lol
Old 06-18-2013, 06:16 AM   #4
TOGWT

My Ride: Jaguar XKE
I would suggest you check if the detailing products you use acually contain ultra violet (UV) blockers as these are a very expensive addition not normally added.

Organic (Carnauba) waxes contrary to marketing myth; do not contain natural ultra violet protection it must be added to the formulation. Polymer sealents have a resistantce to UV radiation.

For other exposed vinyl / 'rubber' seals etc I would suggest you use 303 Aerospace Protection.
TOGWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:36 AM   #5
04cbM3

Ok thanks
Old 06-18-2013, 11:46 AM   #6
CharlzO

My Ride: 2000 328ci
And as silly as it sounds, window shades.
CharlzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:32 PM   #7
04cbM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlzO View Post
And as silly as it sounds, window shades.
I completely forgot about those will be picking some of those up
Old 06-18-2013, 09:04 PM   #8
04cbM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGWT View Post
I would suggest you check if the detailing products you use acually contain ultra violet (UV) blockers as these are a very expensive addition not normally added.

Organic (Carnauba) waxes contrary to marketing myth; do not contain natural ultra violet protection it must be added to the formulation. Polymer sealents have a resistantce to UV radiation.

For other exposed vinyl / 'rubber' seals etc I would suggest you use 303 Aerospace Protection.
Thanks! I ordered a bottle
Old 06-20-2013, 10:11 AM   #9
saxual328ci

My Ride: 2004 325ci
I wasn't a huge fan of tinted windows before I got my car. Now I love them. My last car was black on black and a few times I drove around the ATL. The heat was unbearable. I feel a difference now that I have tinted windows. Grant it, it hasn't been extremely hot in the DMV area... but my car is a little cooler.