E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-28-2010, 08:21 PM   #101
sprintman

My Ride: Ex 325CI owner
Agree re headers. Equal length mandrel bent headers on mine, with German
Hiop RaceTec (HRT) sw with a PeakRPM CAI. Hiflow cats in a week or so.
sprintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:26 PM   #102
MntnTwisties

My Ride: 04 325i
Im going catless. My factory headers dont have cats and i have a friend who does my inspections so no problem with that. If i get the intake ill prolly get the bmw perf intake i want to keep the stock look for resale. Thnx for the replys

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App
MntnTwisties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:41 PM   #103
BeMyWhip

My Ride: 01 BMW 330ci
I did search "K&N" in that bobtheoilguy link, and discovered he said that K&N is the best performance filter for power, but paper filters better. K&N says that their filters filter 99% as well as stock. So if this is true, hence the trade off... more power, more stress, but isnt that true with any power adder? will your engine live as long with a supercharger or headers? will you become as big and strong without the steroids?

Good link, but K&N is still shown to be the best performance filter! K&N filters 99% as well as stock. its a trade off for the improved power; if you add a supercharger, or headers doesnt the increased power possibly decrease engine life. if you want to be big and strong dont you need to take steriods? that will shorten your life too right? Not getting rid of it and will always choose K&N in my future cars as well. any aftermarket filter other than paper with not filter as well, but we're talking miniscle 1% and K&N shown to be the best aftermarket filter available for performance.

Last edited by BeMyWhip; 12-28-2010 at 08:42 PM.
BeMyWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:56 PM   #104
jeffro3000

My Ride: 2000 328i
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest2.htm

http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-eng...t-results.html

http://www.afssociety.org/education/1208oneminute.html

Someone awhile back posted a big independent test of a dozen or so different air filters, including K&N. Needless to say, oiled cotton gauze filtered worst by a large margin. Can't seem to find the article now...
jeffro3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:02 PM   #105
GoingNuts
Just Nuts

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro3000 View Post
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest2.htm

http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-eng...t-results.html

http://www.afssociety.org/education/1208oneminute.html

Someone awhile back posted a big independent test of a dozen or so different air filters, including K&N. Needless to say, oiled cotton gauze filtered worst by a large margin. Can't seem to find the article now...
None of these tests show engine blowing up because of k&n.
GoingNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:04 PM   #106
sprintman

He only sees what he wants to see, nothing unusual there. Anyway my filter outflows Krap & Nasty and actually filters. I personally imported it from the U.S, and it wasn't expensive.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:38 AM   #107
BeMyWhip

Quote:
Originally Posted by MntnTwisties View Post
Im going catless. My factory headers dont have cats and i have a friend who does my inspections so no problem with that. If i get the intake ill prolly get the bmw perf intake i want to keep the stock look for resale. Thnx for the replys

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App
Just keep your stock box for when the time comes to sell, thats what I did (this way no one will know you had a K&N which destroys the engine on) and even though you put your engine through catastropic conditions no one will know hahahahahaha. NOT! But seriously, just store your stock box and use what ever you wish in the mean time, I even saved my stock exhaust manifolds if I sell it.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:08 AM   #108
bmwe46nyc

My Ride: 02 M3/01 330CI
Conforti ITG. Turner motorsports. Easy maintenance and sounds great. Lil pricey though

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Bimmer App
bmwe46nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:19 AM   #109
BeMyWhip

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwe46nyc View Post
Conforti ITG. Turner motorsports. Easy maintenance and sounds great. Lil pricey though

I hope you checked up the UOA's on that first because there are people here who will attack your filter choice!
Old 12-29-2010, 12:03 PM   #110
bmwe46nyc

My Ride: 02 M3/01 330CI
Well I love mine and no issues for 5years

bmwe46nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 02:28 PM   #111
sprintman

Just another crappy foam filter that has to be oiled. Filter technology moved on from this many years ago but some people are stuck in the past.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:32 PM   #112
shortyb

My Ride: Has blue lights
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeMyWhip View Post
Good link, but K&N is still shown to be the best performance filter! K&N filters 99% as well as stock. its a trade off for the improved power; if you add a supercharger, or headers doesnt the increased power possibly decrease engine life. if you want to be big and strong dont you need to take steriods? that will shorten your life too right? Not getting rid of it and will always choose K&N in my future cars as well. any aftermarket filter other than paper with not filter as well, but we're talking miniscle 1% and K&N shown to be the best aftermarket filter available for performance.
Ya gotta love marketing. Even K&Ns website dances around the filtration issues by throwing vague figures about particle size and filtration "quality". They reference the older ISO 5011 standards from 1992 instead of the newer ISO 16889. And according to K&N's figures, that "miniscule" 1% less filtering efficiency falls right in the critical particulate size of 20-50 microns. Look at any SAE white paper and see what particle sizes cause the most wear on iron, aluminum, nickel, chromium, and soft bearing overlay material such as lead, tin and copper. You guessed it, 20-50 microns. So if you have a filter that can effectively keep those sized particles out, you lower the wear. Have a filter that is 99% of that, and allows the bypass of these larger particles? Well, it will increase the wear. Makes sense right? Also, that "miniscule" 1% reduction in filtering efficiency is inversely proportional to the "miniscule" 1% increase in "performance". While measurable, it does come with trade-offs. THIS is what needs to be considered, not whether the K&N lets in more dirt (it does).

Just like any mod you do, you weigh the pros and cons. I prefer to keep the dirt out (for one reason) so the K&N stays on the shelf, but thats just me.

Last edited by shortyb; 12-29-2010 at 04:34 PM.
shortyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 05:45 PM   #113
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
I used a K&N in my offroad Jeep CJ5, and the intake after the filter was always clean -- if there was ever a place for a K&N to fail, I went there with my Jeep.

I'd use a K&N in a heartbeat FOR ONE REASON ONLY, and that reason is to save on replacement costs. Since I used my Jeep offroad, the air filter was _always_ getting dirty, and I was spending a small fortune on air filters. I installed a MPFI kit -- I removed the carburator and intake, and replaced everything with fuel injection -- that came with a K&N.

On my street cars that need to have the air filter replaced once a year on the high mileage car, and once in several years on the low mileage one, I see no advantage in a K&N. Basically, it will take a half dozen paper filters before I have spent the cost of a K&N, and given time horizons like that, I just don't see the benefit.

If you are racing and will notice a performance gain through better breathing, or offroading and will see a cost reduction through cleaning instead of replacing, then a K&N starts to make sense. If you are just getting on the freeway day after day to slog your way to the office, get yourself a stash of paper filters and put one in every year or so as it gets dirty.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:32 PM   #114
BeMyWhip

BMWe46NYC you cant say I didnt warn you lol
Old 06-20-2013, 12:30 PM   #115
Cadet

My Ride: 2003 E46 330xi
What about a Green Filter?

Anyone used or heard much about Green Filters? https://www.greenfilterusa.com/store/2405

They seem like high quality stuff._nr_
Cadet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 12:11 AM   #116
alikaan06

My Ride: 325xi AWD
Hey everyone, I just bought the one that OEM as a result, everybody has problems with K&N. Therefore, summary of my off-day that I have been researching users have been struggling with K&N when their sensor fkn up. So, my opinion having oem filter and changing rarely make better sense..
alikaan06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 02:41 AM   #117
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
very old thread. don't worry about K&N filters causing issues. long time over hyped myth.
with that said, BMC is none of the best filters for performance and filtration. Now if you live in a dust bowl maybe stick with stock paper filter. if performance and lifetime use, BMC is plenty fine.

Last edited by Alex323Ci; 03-14-2014 at 02:44 AM.
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 03:06 AM   #118
marek5

My Ride: BMW E46 318CI AUTO
I normally go for bosch

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
marek5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 05:21 AM   #119
sprintman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
very old thread. don't worry about K&N filters causing issues. long time over hyped myth.
with that said, BMC is none of the best filters for performance and filtration. Now if you live in a dust bowl maybe stick with stock paper filter. if performance and lifetime use, BMC is plenty fine.
You obviously haven't read many UOA's from Krap & Nasty equipped engines.............

Tags
air, filter, intake, k & n, mass air