E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-19-2013, 09:18 PM   #41
Moosecakes

My Ride: 02' SMG M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdstrickland View Post
The cops don't even show up unless there are bodies on the ground or stalled cars blocking the lanes. They say, "just exchange information."

My insurance company contacts the other party's company and they process the claim. I get that this is a liability claim, not a collision or comp claim. If one had Uninsured Motorist coverage, it could be claimed there, but the insurance company would still chase it down before they cut a check. If they can find the other party and her insurance, they will force her liability to cover the damages.

The OP is not in Calif, and his mileage may vary, but filing a claim with his own carrier is the first step. The second step depends on what the carrier says.
Insurance laws vary state to state, I'm just speaking of what would happen in oregon and trying to give a general idea of how these situations typically happen. That's really cool that they are allowed to handle a claim for you against another that is not your fault.

UM coverage unfortunately would be a tricky one, you'd have to pitch that from the start to them. UM typically applies to hit and runs, parking lot accidents etc etc.

anyway not trying to start **** with ya, just speaking from a licensed standpoint
Old 06-19-2013, 09:24 PM   #42
diM3tri

My Ride: 330ci + stg2 Scoobie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosecakes View Post
The cops will show up if you request them to, that's kinda what we underpay them for...

and OP I'm really glad that worked out for you!!

I hope you called your agent and added collision coverage too
Thanks, yeah I really lucked out here. Can't believe bmw charges 566$ for one style 71 rim

Current Cars:
'99 Big Turbo B5 A4 (the red one) ^^^
'13 GLI
'91 Ford F150 v8 5spd

Previous Cars:
'05 stg 2 scoobie wagon
'82 VW rabbit vert
'01 330ci
'84 633csi
diM3tri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:35 PM   #43
awesomechinz

My Ride: 1999 BMW 323i sedan
Insurance question.,

OP did you mention that the 2k bill is an assessment without taking the car apart? It could be more and she should know before she writes the check and agrees. Make sure someone else knows about the discussion or have a recording of the discussion so then there is proof

brown magic
awesomechinz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:36 PM   #44
diM3tri

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomechinz View Post
OP did you mention that the 2k bill is an assessment without taking the car apart? It could be more and she should know before she writes the check and agrees. Make sure someone else knows about the discussion or have a recording of the discussion so then there is proof
I doubt there is more damage considering I was going under 30 mph when I hit the curb. But that's a good point. I'll start with the check for 2k, get the car taken apart and see where we go from there

Current Cars:
'13 GLI
'91 Ford F150 v8 5spd

Previous Cars:
'05 stg 2 scoobie wagon
'82 VW rabbit vert
'01 330ci
'84 633csi
Old 06-19-2013, 09:43 PM   #45
ti317

My Ride: 02 330ci coupe 5 spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
It is evidence, and you would be destroying it. So yes.

You own it and owe it to no one else, so you are breaking no law.
Take the fifth; you can't be forced to testify against yourself.
My fear had always been that it can be used against me and even if it is not my fault, some smart lawyer could say it "proved" I was speeding or some other BS. Your explanation sounds logical though. Maybe I'll look into it.

Nowadays though our rights get chipped away bit by bit by courts. For example, you don't have the right to have an attorney present before interrogation and blood evidence can be done in. DUI arrest.

What happens if I get injured and the cops on the scene take my cam as evidence while I am being treated or transported?
Old 06-19-2013, 09:45 PM   #46
ti317

Quote:
Originally Posted by diM3tri View Post
I doubt there is more damage considering I was going under 30 mph when I hit the curb. But that's a good point. I'll start with the check for 2k, get the car taken apart and see where we go from there
Since she seems so honorably, I would offer her the option of talking with the shop herself or having her own shop verify the damage but having the shop of your choosing doing the repairs.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:46 PM   #47
awesomechinz

My Ride: 1999 BMW 323i sedan
Insurance question.,

Quote:
Please tell her that before she writes it though... That way, if she wants she can make an insurance claim just to avoid more expenses out of pocket

brown magic
awesomechinz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:22 PM   #48
mikel325xi

My Ride: 2001 325xi
Yeah i had a guy cut me off forcing me to jump the median..I had to chase him down and he offered $50
for the flat tire Lol!! I had my ins co call his Ins co. $4000 dollars later my front end got fixed by his ins co. When the police came to give me police report they said it has to be over a certain amount before they will write up a report... so he left. Goes to show ya u never know how much damage can't be seen underneath.
mikel325xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:38 PM   #49
diM3tri

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel325xi View Post
Yeah i had a guy cut me off forcing me to jump the median..I had to chase him down and he offered $50
for the flat tire Lol!! I had my ins co call his Ins co. $4000 dollars later my front end got fixed by his ins co. When the police came to give me police report they said it has to be over a certain amount before they will write up a report... so he left. Goes to show ya u never know how much damage can't be seen underneath.
Right. I'm not too worried about damage considering I was going very slow, the only things ill need so far is a new rim, new bumper (or respray), and an alignment. Hopefully it will stay just that.

Current Cars:
'13 GLI
'91 Ford F150 v8 5spd

Previous Cars:
'05 stg 2 scoobie wagon
'82 VW rabbit vert
'01 330ci
'84 633csi
Old 06-19-2013, 11:00 PM   #50
ti317

Quote:
Right. I'm not too worried about damage considering I was going very slow, the only things ill need so far is a new rim, new bumper (or respray), and an alignment. Hopefully it will stay just that.
You can total a car at 20 mph if you hit it right.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:27 PM   #51
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
Thanks, yeah I really lucked out here. Can't believe bmw charges 566$ for one style 71 rim
Much better sources for used quality refinished wheels.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:18 AM   #52
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Insurance question.,

Quote:
HA!

I'm just surprised she accepted a $2k estimate with no questions asked.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-20-2013, 06:27 AM   #53
NOVAbimmer

Insurance question.,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
Much better sources for used quality refinished wheels.
Body shop isn't going to bother looking around if they don't have to.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:29 AM   #54
diM3tri

I'm thinkin about picking up a set of VMW V710's, any suggestions on where to get them?

Current Cars:
'13 GLI
'91 Ford F150 v8 5spd

Previous Cars:
'05 stg 2 scoobie wagon
'82 VW rabbit vert
'01 330ci
'84 633csi
Old 06-20-2013, 08:33 AM   #55
NOVAbimmer

Insurance question.,

Quote:
Did you let her know that the total could come out a lot higher? How much more can you afford if she balks at the supplement?

Old 06-20-2013, 09:30 AM   #56
Buck Henry

My Ride: 2001 330ci Convertib
You had better get (and cash) a check from her asap. She could turn around and say "who are you and what the hell are you talking about" at any moment and there would not be a damn thing you could do about it. I am read all of this right, she never hit you! You had an accident, not her!
Buck Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:44 PM   #57
Stinger9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Henry View Post
You had better get (and cash) a check from her asap. She could turn around and say "who are you and what the hell are you talking about" at any moment and there would not be a damn thing you could do about it. I am read all of this right, she never hit you! You had an accident, not her!
Consider everything possible. She is stalling because she's moving out of the country in one month. I've seen it all.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:45 PM   #58
Stinger9

Quote:
I'm thinkin about picking up a set of VMW V710's, any suggestions on where to get them?
Check out these guys.

http://wheelcollision.com/