E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-06-2009, 09:32 PM   #1
tommy3putt

My Ride: 323 ci convertible
Power window problem

My cabrio passenger window makes a popping noise when I start to lower it, and there is a vertical scratch in my window tint: and sometimes the driver window when it is up and I close the door it sounds like the glass is going to break
tommy3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:33 PM   #2
GRIDLOCK

My Ride: E36 / E46
Your window regulator has gone to sh*t.

Have an EVAP code? Replacing gas cap did not fix? Give me a holler, I can do a smoke test for ya.
GRIDLOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 11:36 AM   #3
mr bravarian

My Ride: bmw 330i
Angry

my passenger sied window is ok going down but goddam it takes forever to come back up. motor is on it way out. at least ur not alone with this problem as far as windows r concerned.
mr bravarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:31 AM   #4
scottjoh

My Ride: '99 323i & '02 540i
mr bravarian,
for the slow up it probably isn't the motor. It's probably the relays in the GM5 module going bad. You can try reversing the contact on the connector so that up is down and down is up. If it now goes up slow, it's the relay.

tommy3putt's problem is almost definately the window regulator.
scottjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 01:04 AM   #5
ThatGuy_JZ

My Ride: '02 Steel Blue 325Ci
Send a message via AIM to ThatGuy_JZ
For the pop it's just a sign the regulator is going out. My passenger coupe window would pop at first when I'd roll it down, metallic sounding like a thick guitar string, then it would creak going down from the metal cable. It's been doing that for the last year when I bought the car and who knows how long before that. Finally tonight the regulator has given out and the window wouldn't go up and creaks very loud when it moves.

ThatGuy_JZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 02:13 AM   #6
kelis_ac

My Ride: 2003 325i
Note to all, purchase your window regulators carefully. Pay price from dealer and save yourself the headaches. I experienced the costly, hard way.
kelis_ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 02:32 AM   #7
ThatGuy_JZ

My Ride: '02 Steel Blue 325Ci
Send a message via AIM to ThatGuy_JZ
I just changed out my regulator the other day in my coupe, here is a picture of the defective one that was making the pop noise along with the creaking

You can see how the cable is jammed up on the pulley and frayed very badly. My symptoms started out the same as yours, you may want to look into replacing yours soon.

ThatGuy_JZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:43 PM   #8
steve.325i

Thanks guys. My driver window (sedan) started to make clicking/poping noises tonight and it is going back up very slowly. I am happy to see that it's a common issue.

I assume that this is a fairly easy DIY? I have an airbag in the door. Is pulling the battery connections recommended to disable it or is there a fuse or relay that can be pulled?
steve.325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:13 PM   #9
young hov

My Ride: 00 BMW 323I
yea it happen to me to about two weeks ago cost me 250 to get fix
young hov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:04 PM   #10
kelis_ac

This is an easy DIY. Front regulators go for 110 from dealer and back ones a few bones less. Just over an hour job for the novice....
kelis_ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 09:48 PM   #11
steve.325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelis_ac View Post
This is an easy DIY. Front regulators go for 110 from dealer and back ones a few bones less. Just over an hour job for the novice....
Cool. Thank you.

Uhmm, were you a little concerned with the side airbags?
Old 08-27-2009, 10:28 PM   #12
//TRD power

My Ride: 3.0 | 200hp | 214trq
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.325i View Post
Cool. Thank you.

Uhmm, were you a little concerned with the side airbags?
No you don't need to as you DON'T need to unplug it. Disconnect the battery for peace of mind. Then replace the regulator while you hang the still plugged in air bag to the door frame.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:34 PM   #13
steve.325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by three2slick View Post
No you don't need to as you DON'T need to unplug it. Disconnect the battery for peace of mind. Then replace the regulator while you hang the still plugged in air bag to the door frame.
I like that suggestion.

I just tracked my shipment & it looks like it will arrive tomorrow, so it will be a weekend job.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:01 PM   #14
bigwillyworks1

My Ride: 325ci
Power Window Mystery

My E46 coupe has had an issue with the front window since I bought it. The window will not roll down and I was told it was disconnected. Yesterday I discovered the window will roll down if I put the key into the door handle lock, turn the key to the right and press the lock button. When I turn the key on in the car, the window will roll back up with the switch. The window rolls back up even if I press the switch to roll the window down. Please help!!!
bigwillyworks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:13 PM   #15
scottjoh

My Ride: '99 323i & '02 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwillyworks1 View Post
My E46 coupe has had an issue with the front window since I bought it. The window will not roll down and I was told it was disconnected. Yesterday I discovered the window will roll down if I put the key into the door handle lock, turn the key to the right and press the lock button. When I turn the key on in the car, the window will roll back up with the switch. The window rolls back up even if I press the switch to roll the window down. Please help!!!
Replace the window switch. Here is a web page I created on the subject.
http://bmwgm5.com/E46_window_switch.htm

Last edited by scottjoh; 04-17-2013 at 06:15 PM.
scottjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:48 PM   #16
Chopper67

My Ride: 2006 330Ci
Power window problems

Hello,

First posting. I have an 06 330Ci convertible. Front windows go down auto but do not come back up auto. Rears do. All window switch (drivers side) drops all windows but brings up only rear. Have to bring up fronts with individual switches. Is my "all windows" switch gone??
Chopper67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:49 PM   #17
Blind_Shooter

My Ride: is your sister
Isn't there a way to restring the window regulator instead of buying a whole new one. Like with a repair kit or something. I've done the zip tie method to fix both front window regulators and I'm just curious if this is possible

Blind_Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote