E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2013, 11:23 PM   #1
AV8OR

My Ride: 2000 323i
Warning lights flash with lock/unlock - only at night?

I recoded last night so my warning lights flash with lock and unlock. I do not have an alarm. It all worked great last night, but today the lights did not flash and no clown nose light.

Tonight after we ate diner, after dark, we walked out and the lights flashed when I unlocked the doors. They worked again when we parked at home and I locked the doors.

It's either intermittent, or it only works at night?

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:48 PM   #2
e4Tsex

My Ride: '00 328i ZSP w/ 194k
Mine seem to flash only when it's extra humid out or very cold. I have no idea why and haven't been able to find any help.

dr-z400s / cannondale caad 5
'91 BMW 318is -> '95 BMW 318ti -> '00 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330msport View Post
i heard that this cars go like 300k miles
e4Tsex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:36 AM   #3
AV8OR

I just tried it (its bright and sunny out), it flashes.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:34 AM   #4
NumbaOneNewb

My Ride: 2001 bmw 330ci
Ive seen similar situations before. It usually means that something isn't shut correctly, or one of your sensors aren't working properly, say a hood sensor. I experienced this while doing a convertible and the reason why his lights wouldn't flash is because the convertible top wasn't closed all the way. it was a couple of millimeters away from fully closing. it was my first time closing a convertible so I didn't do it right, that's why. a very likely culprit could be your hood sensor. those go haywire all the time. try disconnecting your hood sensor and see if that solves your problem
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)
NumbaOneNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:04 PM   #5
AV8OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumbaOneNewb View Post
Ive seen similar situations before. It usually means that something isn't shut correctly, or one of your sensors aren't working properly, say a hood sensor. I experienced this while doing a convertible and the reason why his lights wouldn't flash is because the convertible top wasn't closed all the way. it was a couple of millimeters away from fully closing. it was my first time closing a convertible so I didn't do it right, that's why. a very likely culprit could be your hood sensor. those go haywire all the time. try disconnecting your hood sensor and see if that solves your problem
Excellent! I'll try that. I just got back from lunch where they flashed fine, and now they do not.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:22 PM   #6
AV8OR

Meh... unplugged hood switch, no change. I jumped the two pins in the switch connector... no change.

Something else is loose I guess.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:06 PM   #7
NumbaOneNewb

My Ride: 2001 bmw 330ci
just a wild shot in the dark, I could be mistaken but perhaps its an indication that the battery in your key remote signalling to you that its low and needs attention. do you ever notice if the lights failing to blink ever occur immediately after you're done driving? is it happening when you have gone a long duration without driving?
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)
NumbaOneNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:53 PM   #8
AV8OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumbaOneNewb View Post
just a wild shot in the dark, I could be mistaken but perhaps its an indication that the battery in your key remote signalling to you that its low and needs attention. do you ever notice if the lights failing to blink ever occur immediately after you're done driving? is it happening when you have gone a long duration without driving?
Yes, they fail to blink immediately after driving. I have really good range on my FOB so I think it is holding a good charge.

But, here's something I discovered yesterday that may be directly related... Normally, when a door is opened, the car symbol lights up on the cluster and shows which door(s) are ajar. This is not working on my car all the time. It worked intermittently yesterday and I got called into work before I could see if it is related to my lights not flashing when locking/unlocking.

When I get back in town, I'll check to see if its related. Anyone know for sure?
Old 06-13-2013, 01:08 PM   #9
tachi1247

My Ride: '04 330i
I'm betting it is related. Pay attention to the LED clown nose and see if it blinks normal. If a door sensor is bad it won't be included when the alarm is set and maybe the non blinking lights is another indication.
tachi1247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:03 PM   #10
Shaun1970

My Ride: 318i SE 2000
Send a message via MSN to Shaun1970
I have similar issue with mine, however if i open and reclose passenger door (if i am on my own) then it works fine but i havenever noticed them blink on unlocking but i only have a 318! Although talking to dealer yesterday initially about a new key, i mentioned to him the pain random back light blown and all lights ok, which i need to buy new bulb holder as mine does not have the bits described in a post ifound on forum, he mentioned the annoying bong which of course i should also have when a light fails, i did tell him i think it was just pushed off end of line with out completing! Sorry gone offtopic slightly
Old 06-13-2013, 06:48 PM   #11
AV8OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tachi1247 View Post
I'm betting it is related. Pay attention to the LED clown nose and see if it blinks normal. If a door sensor is bad it won't be included when the alarm is set and maybe the non blinking lights is another indication.
No clown nose blink when the problem exists.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:05 PM   #12
tachi1247

My Ride: '04 330i
Re: Warning lights flash with lock/unlock - only at night?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV8OR View Post
No clown nose blink when the problem exists.
I actually plan to install my alarm tonight so I don't know exactly what that indicates, but it should blink when the alarm is active. If its not blinking, my guess is its just locking the doors and the motion and tilt sensor are deactivated.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using BimmerApp mobile app
tachi1247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:22 AM   #13
e4Tsex

My door sensors don't work all the time either. That's probably why the lights don't flash. We need new door actuators/sensors.

Quote:
Old 06-20-2013, 10:25 AM   #14
scottjoh

My Ride: '99 323i & '02 540i
Warning lights flash with lock/unlock - only at night?

Quote:
Originally Posted by e4Tsex View Post
My door sensors don't work all the time either. That's probably why the lights don't flash. We need new door actuators/sensors.
Precisely! Replace the drivers door actuator. That is why the interior lights don't come on when you open the door and why the outside lights don't flash when arming/disarming and no blinking clown nose.

Last edited by scottjoh; 06-20-2013 at 03:03 PM.
scottjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:09 PM   #15
e4Tsex

I fix whatever I can myself, but those things are expensive and I need several, so it's not worth it for me. Maybe if you have an alarm and you need it to arm it would be worth the cost.

Quote: