E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-21-2013, 08:13 AM   #1
HallisterJ1

My Ride: 2001 325i, 2003 M3
Just bought my second BMW, a Dinan M3!

I daily drive a silver 325i, great car, reliable and smooth as hell to drive. It currently sits at 206k miles about, still runs better then some of my friends E90's and E46's despite no blower motor and blown engine mounts.

I recently started a thread, but it became necro and I thought I'd start a new one considering I bought a 2003 Carbon Black Dinan M3!

PS: I kept the 325i for multiple reasons, I'm a tennis coach on the side, I drive to LA every weekend pretty much for work, and I plan on keeping it until it blows up. It was my first bimmer.

The story on the M3: I pass through Del Mar (Nice area in San Diego) every other day, and this Dinan M3 has been sitting there for years, multiple years. I always thought how cool it would be to own that monster, so I knocked on the door across the street from it where it was parked and inquired about it - long story short she has a E39 M5, and a Zo6 in the driveway, both being stick, she's a cool mom. So knowing that it's been sitting for that long the first thing that comes to mind is the fact all the fluids are probably all shot by now, the filters probably could all use a refresh, and the tires were all bald and sun rotted. The interior was in great condition aside from things that lost glue or adhesive type material from the constant excessive heat.

The hood was the worst part hands down, it was repainted in the front and the paint wasn't OEM so it completely got destroyed (see pics). Don't worry an appointment at the best paint/body shop in SD has already been made, and again don't worry the new tires are being slapped on, along with alignment.

Here's the catch, it only has 58k miles.

So I took it on myself to push for a low price considering the damage on the cosmetic aspects of the vehicle, and the labor needed to refresh all the fluids/filters and spark plugs, I got the price I wanted, and bought it instantly - I only requested she smog/register it for me within the next week and slap new tires of my choice on it (Michelins, Toyos, RE-11, suggestions?). I know, this seller is a dream seller, such a sweet lady. My plan is to keep the car for 10k miles, sell it and make a large profit on the vehicle once its pristine to sell.

So I love the car, can't wait to love it more as the M progresses through undone maintenance or more so preventative maint as this low of a mileage.

The car is insanely loud, and it was purchased as a Stage 2 Dinan M3 from BMW brand new.

For a professional review on my vehicle, view http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...specialty-file

Suggestions, recommendations, words or thoughts on the vehicle?

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:17 AM   #2
Zell
Banned User

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
Quote:
Originally Posted by HallisterJ1 View Post
My plan is to keep the car for 10k miles, sell it and make a large profit on the vehicle once its pristine to sell.
I hate to break it to you, but that's not going to happen on a 2003 M3. That's not even going to happen on a 2009 M3.

You should keep the car, fix up what needs to be fixed, and enjoy it for its driving experience. An older-model M3 is not any sort of financial investment by any means.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:21 AM   #3
HallisterJ1

Don't have a hood pic for some reason on my laptop, will upload from phone in a bit.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:23 AM   #4
HallisterJ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
I hate to break it to you, but that's not going to happen on a 2003 M3. That's not even going to happen on a 2009 M3.

You should keep the car, fix up what needs to be fixed, and enjoy it for its driving experience. An older-model M3 is not any sort of financial investment by any means.
At the price I got it for, it would take me around 10k to lose any chance of a profit, I see these M3's with 80-90k on CL/Autotrader/Lots go for 25k, and to the right BMW enthusiast the Dinan package is extremely rare and valuable, to the general public the package would have to be ignored.

Don't worry about me cutting even on profits, just keep the recommendations and suggestions coming!
Old 06-21-2013, 08:30 AM   #5
Tament

My Ride: 2001 330I
Just bought my second BMW, a Dinan M3!

What did you get it for $$$?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-21-2013, 09:05 AM   #6
Sedan Hussein

My Ride: e46
So what'd you pay? Sounds like a good find.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:07 AM   #7
theOCHO

My Ride: 330i ZHP 6MT
Nice find, especially with the Dinan goodies. Not to be nit-picky, but I'd fix that M3 badge on the rear deck. It's not in the right place and it's crooked. It would drive me nuts.

No leather/no cold weather package/no sports package
Old 06-21-2013, 10:20 AM   #8
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Any accidents or deep wrecks?

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 06-21-2013, 10:20 AM   #9
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by theOCHO View Post
Nice find, especially with the Dinan goodies. Not to be nit-picky, but I'd fix that M3 badge on the rear deck. It's not in the right place and it's crooked. It would drive me nuts.
If that's the case, bad accident. (pics are firewalled-can't see them)

edit: oh nvm, user is blocked

question for OP: is car clean title or salvage title?

OVER A MILLION VIEWS

Last edited by Mango; 06-21-2013 at 10:24 AM.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:39 AM   #10
Zell
Banned User

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
Quote:
At the price I got it for, it would take me around 10k to lose any chance of a profit, I see these M3's with 80-90k on CL/Autotrader/Lots go for 25k, and to the right BMW enthusiast the Dinan package is extremely rare and valuable, to the general public the package would have to be ignored.

Don't worry about me cutting even on profits, just keep the recommendations and suggestions coming!
Okay, I just don't want to see you accidentally give up something awesome

Oh man, where to start...well, what Dinan stuff does it have on it? Definitely I'd take a look at getting your valves adjusted, I am sure they're in need of it.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:54 AM   #11
HallisterJ1

I'll be honest, it's a salvage title, it was hit from the front left of the vehicle - I saw the fix report/documents on the vehicle and they proved to be solid good OEM work by a very well known local auto shop, this lady spared no expense whatsoever. Yes it drives straight, yes it aligns fine, and I'll post a picture of the unders of the hood to show you it is clean as a whistle. It has brand new control arms, tie rods, wheel wells in great condition, framework is perfect, if she didn't say it was as salvage title I would have ultimately assumed it was clean.

Yes I know a salvage title depreciates from the cars value, that's why I can't emphasize the price I purchased it for.

I bought it for $8,000, engine and frame is pristine, I did a PPI at BMW of El Cajon and while they stated salvage will take the value from the car considerably, the inspector urged me to low ball if anything considering he knew my plans for the car and the rarity of the car is pretty incredible, I low balled, and I got it.

In the last week, I've requested she; Registers/Smogs the vehicle, brand new tires with warranties, brand new 3 year warranty battery (everstart/evermaxx), batteries already done - which will be done this week.

More opinions on what to do!?
Old 06-21-2013, 10:56 AM   #12
HallisterJ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by theOCHO View Post
I'm surprised any of those badges stayed on with the heat destroying the adhesives on the car.

Yeah I'll have to purchase new emblems, and badges, already bought my roundels : )
Old 06-21-2013, 11:00 AM   #13
HallisterJ1

PS, ever wondered what the heat will do to a roundel after 3 years?
Old 06-21-2013, 11:03 AM   #14
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:

FYI that's not what they are going for. That is what they are LISTED for. It doesn't mean those cars ever sold at that price.

Common Sense is officially dead.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:05 AM   #15
HallisterJ1

Please no lectures on "YOU THINK YOU'RE GOING TO MAKE MONEY ON THAT CAR THATS A SALVAGE TITLE?"

No I don't right now, that's why I'm tasking myself to bring it back to pristine conditions considering all that's wrong with it are looks and some minor maintenance.

After all is said and done, selling it for 16-20k would be reasonable in my honest opinion, seeing multiple stock M3's salvaged with a lot of miles running for $15k gives me encouragement.

Please just suggestions and my next possible step in the car!

Last edited by HallisterJ1; 06-21-2013 at 11:06 AM.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:27 AM   #16
white46

My Ride: e46 323ci
nice. you can even part out the car and make more than what you paid for.
I would say it's good buy for $8000!

Last edited by white46; 06-21-2013 at 11:28 AM.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:29 AM   #17
PH03NIX46

My Ride: '03 M3
For $8,000...you should sell your 325i, invest in maintaining the M3 and just keep it for as long as you possibly can.

I wouldn't have bought it in the first place. The thought of driving a car that isn't perfectly stable throughout the chassis bothers me. But since you already bought it, I'd keep it.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:38 AM   #18
esberelias

My Ride: '03 325i
I'd keep it too...

Check out my ride
Old 06-21-2013, 11:58 AM   #19
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
oh it has a Salvage title, yikes. you never mentioned that nor how beat the paint was before.

ok so what Dinan parts does it have?

for $8K you should just keep it if you have a 325 now.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:14 PM   #20
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Looks nice. Keep it. Don't count on it being any sort of investment, though. Prices for M3's are low now. They're nowhere near collector status yet and there are plenty of non-salvaged good condition ones on the market.