E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Home Improvement

Home Improvement
Home Improvement ideas, help, DIYs, and show room. Got a home improvement project you need help with or want to share. Post your project now!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-12-2013, 07:51 AM   #21
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian

My Ride: E46, E30, Quattro
Before/After of my Townhouse

Wow what a transformation! Next thing is to knock down the wall near the archways. That would really open it up.

The Slum Lord Millionaire
"Stay Puft My Friends."

2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"
1987 BMW 325i "Lydia"
1990 Audi 90 Quattro Sport 20v "Chloe"

Marshmallow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:55 AM   #22
borinka99

My Ride: G35 Coupe
Send a message via AIM to borinka99
How is the rustoleum kit holding up?
Old 06-21-2013, 07:18 PM   #23
Shake

My Ride: IS
Send a message via AIM to Shake
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
i love it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post

Freaking amazing work man
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Shine View Post
That's a freestanding range in that pic . IMO the ranges with no back are the best.

OP - great work, where did you get the granite for cheap?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Thanks, I got it in downtown pittsburgh from a family business. I went to two places and one countered with a good deal. Only thing was that I had to remove the old counters myself, but that took maybe 15 minutes max.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac View Post
Looks badass! Too bad you have to move now
Thanks and yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by budman View Post
Everything looks good except the lights.. change out the builder grade lighting.. that gold is terrible
Thanks, and i agree 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmallow View Post
Wow what a transformation! Next thing is to knock down the wall near the archways. That would really open it up.
Thanks, if this was a long-term house I would definitely do something more intense like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by borinka99 View Post
How is the rustoleum kit holding up?
It's holding up incredibly well. No one can tell that I used a kit, they think that's just how the cabinets originally came.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:04 PM   #24
HBizzo88

My Ride: 2002 bmw 330ci
Before/After of my Townhouse

Looks great! A stainless steel fridge would bring it together. I know that costs a bit though.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 12-16-2013, 07:47 AM   #25
SJTrance

My Ride: Ducati 900SS
Dude, talk about that flooring! Great work. How hard was cutting all the pieces to work? Did you have the tools for it already or did you end up renting/buying them? What did you put under the wood? How long did that take you?

Last edited by SJTrance; 12-16-2013 at 07:48 AM.
SJTrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:41 AM   #26
Shake

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJTrance View Post
Dude, talk about that flooring! Great work. How hard was cutting all the pieces to work? Did you have the tools for it already or did you end up renting/buying them? What did you put under the wood? How long did that take you?
Thanks for the compliment. Cutting the pieces wasn't too difficult once you get the hang of it. You just cut them when you get to the end of the wall and use that leftover piece to start at the other end if it fits well with the previous joints (I tried to make sure I had joints minimum of a foot apart).

I got lucky with the tools. I had a neighbor who let me borrow a miter saw and a table saw. I mostly used the table saw. Other than that I bought some smaller tools separately. Most of the time is spent cutting and locking the pieces in together.

I didn't put anything under the wood since I purchased floors with the pad already attached. I'd recommend this as it saved me a bunch of time. To prepare the subfloors, I just cleaned it up well with a vacuum after taking the original carpet out. Only additional thing i did was make sure that there weren't any major changes in height between the subfloor boards. I had to sand a couple of places to even it out (just with a hand sanding tool, nothing fancy). If you go with flooring that doesn't come without padding, I believe you need to take the extra step for laying that down before laying down the actual wood.

In terms of time, I think it took me about a over a week to do. Then 2 full weekends and also worked the weekdays in between. I work full time weekdays so I came home from the office and worked on it from 5-11pm. It's just time consuming but once you get into the groove, you'll get the hang of it and will feel good as you see your progress.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:50 PM   #27
joeski3d

My Ride: 2000 323i
I like the direction. Now you need to add some spot color in there to punch it up a bit. The palette is way too sterile.

Ballbusters Inc.

DISCLAIMER: No balls were physically hurt during the reading of this post. Should redness and/or swelling occur consult your gynecologist immediately.
joeski3d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 06:09 AM   #28
slo323ci

My Ride: 00 323ci
Re: Before/After of my Townhouse

Looks great Shake! Is the flooring clock and lock? I'm putting down over 500sqft of it and it aids like exactly what your taking about. Easy to put down, just time consuming!

So did you end up getting a renter? How is it going? Cabinet maintenance?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using BimmerApp mobile app
slo323ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 10:21 PM   #29
Shake

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo323ci View Post
Looks great Shake! Is the flooring clock and lock? I'm putting down over 500sqft of it and it aids like exactly what your taking about. Easy to put down, just time consuming!

So did you end up getting a renter? How is it going? Cabinet maintenance?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using BimmerApp mobile app
Thanks slo323ci! Yes, the flooring just locks into place. Just a couple hits with the mallet and the pieces slide in together - no glue. I did end up finding a renter. The new renters seem to be pretty good so far. Cabinets are holding up well.