E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2013, 04:49 PM   #41
Sentaruu

My Ride: Xterra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline View Post
All you'll do is piss them off or not hit them. A rifle is the last thing you want up close and under stress.

00 3.5 magnum buckshot is my round of choice. Dead people can't sue you or commit future crimes. And I know I'll hit them. They will be in 2 pieces.
k

Last edited by Sentaruu; 06-06-2013 at 04:52 PM.
Sentaruu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:06 PM   #42
5ynd1cat3

My Ride: swagger wagon
Re: When something goes bump in the night.

Once again, Reedo blinds us with science! Good stuff!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-06-2013, 06:52 PM   #43
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
I read the "piss them off or miss" part and I had a stroke. Then the OCD kicked in and I had to post.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:53 PM   #44
Fergo

My Ride: still a gay 135i
Reedo, thanks for that awesome and informative post!

2 easy 2 make hp turbos
Fergo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:01 PM   #45
Sentaruu

My Ride: Xterra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
I read the "piss them off or miss" part and I had a stroke. Then the OCD kicked in and I had to post.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:50 PM   #46
GasKing

My Ride: 14 Jeep Wrangler
When something goes bump in the night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline View Post
All you'll do is piss them off or not hit them. A rifle is the last thing you want up close and under stress.

00 3.5 magnum buckshot is my round of choice. Dead people can't sue you or commit future crimes. And I know I'll hit them. They will be in 2 pieces.

But usually I don't grab a gun if I hear a sound. Could just be a family member or the dog. If the dog flips sh!t then I grab the shotgun.
So many fails in this post I'm not even going to bother.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-20-2013, 06:38 PM   #47
al0513

My Ride: 04 Silver Gray 330CI
+1 with the dog. My dog has a few different barks. I know when he is scared, playful, or defensive. He is usually pretty good at barking at anything that moves, which will wake me in the night, say a cat walks around in m backyard... Have a couple of guns in the house, one within reach of the bed.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:48 PM   #48
al0513

My Ride: 04 Silver Gray 330CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nt_loader View Post
In all seriousness, last year a car pulled up to my house around 10pm, they killed the lights and engine. I didn't think much of it until no one exited the vehicle. I was watching from inside and could see 3 individuals that clearly didn't belong in my neighborhood. I dialed 911 just as a precaution and prepared just in case something happened. Dispatch told me they would send a patrol unit. After literally waiting 45 minutes the car just left, no patrol car was seen.
Happened to me about two years ago when I was living in Waco. A truck was parked across the street. A guy and a girl were sitting in it, radio on. I was on a run so I paid no attention, thought they were just "parking". After the run, good 20 min or so, they were still there. Nothing going on, just sitting there. I went inside and grabbed the shotgun, didn't have a handgun at the time. Called 911 to report suspicious activity ( there has been a couple of armed home invasions in the past couple of weeks). 30 minutes goes by, the truck is still there and the cops aren't. A truck full of people in the back pulls up and a heavy coffee sack looking bag was thrown into the back of the other truck. Both trust drove away pretty quick in opposite directions. Literally 2 minutes goes by and I see the patrol car. By this time, my neighbor and his parents who were visiting were outside with me.
Old 06-22-2013, 12:25 AM   #49
Redline

My Ride: ///M3 Vert
So how about an mp5 with JHP rounds for hd? Would that be overkill?

And I'll still grab the shotgun first. I'm not going to be engaging anyone from more than 20 feet...if they are so sh!tty then why does military and law enforcement still use them?

///M

Last edited by Redline; 06-22-2013 at 12:28 AM.
Redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:14 AM   #50
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
I think you'll find that the majority of PDs use either an MP5 or a short version of an M4, like a MK18 for CQB operations. The shotgun is useful, but PD has switched to the previously mentioned weapons because of the threat they are facing. Can't shoot a shotgun if an innocent bystander is right next to the perp.

And just to make a few people in this thread laugh who know its true, as a matter of fact, I do have a Full Auto M16 with a short barrel and a suppressor at my bedside as my primary/secondary HD weapon. And its loaded with 30 rounds of xm193 5.56 goodness. So yes, I do have a select fire weapon for defensive use if necessary, though in all likelihood it would stay in semi only. Not overkill IMO; nobody should be in my place after 1am unless I invited them.

EDIT: Ohh, and a note to the NSA reading this. All my weapons are legally owned and those requiring registration under the NFA have been properly documented by the ATF, and I've paid your friends the IRS all the money they want for me to have them. Also, they aren't in NY. So kindly take your business elsewhere.

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada

Last edited by david05111; 06-22-2013 at 01:16 AM.
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:45 AM   #51
Redline

My Ride: ///M3 Vert
^Speaking of the NSA, i lost all my weapons when I was fishing. Brought them with me one day. Boat flipped and everything sunk to the bottom...

///M

Last edited by Redline; 06-22-2013 at 01:45 AM.
Redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:22 AM   #52
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by david05111 View Post
And just to make a few people in this thread laugh who know its true, as a matter of fact, I do have a Full Auto M16 with a short barrel and a suppressor at my bedside as my primary/secondary HD weapon. And its loaded with 30 rounds of xm193 5.56 goodness. So yes, I do have a select fire weapon for defensive use if necessary, though in all likelihood it would stay in semi only. Not overkill IMO; nobody should be in my place after 1am unless I invited them.
You should load that bitch up with some MK318 Mod 0.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:17 AM   #53
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
Using an MP5 or other SMG with JHP bullets is the exact same as using a pistol. If you use good ammunition, it's fine so long as you remember that the ballistics still only work by penetration and permanent cavitation (wound channel). SMGs just allow for faster and more accurate shots over pistols. That being said, if you don't SBR the SMG, it's going to be very long to adhere to a minimum overall length, so in the end you wind up having something that's the same size as a rifle carbine.

Military uses shotguns for prisoner control using Winchester 00 Buckshot, or else they use them for breaching using either buckshot or else zinc loads. For direct actions, they don't use shotguns. The USMC issues the M1014, which is the Benelli M4. The US Army and SOCOM are using a myriad of shotguns, but many have been equipped with the Remington 870 MCS. Regardless of what they have, the primary uses remain the same.

For law enforcement, they use buckshot and slug. The fact that LE uses the shotgun is somewhat of a deceptive issue, because at this point, the shotgun is more tradition than tactics. There are legitimate uses for shotguns, but their efficacy in modern gunfighting is very limited and continues to dwindle. We use shotguns primarily for dispatching injured deer and wildlife. Tactically, the shotgun is ideal for shooting into vehicles, since both buckshot and slug penetrate auto glass and steel very easily and still maintain enough energy to penetrate into the target. The shotgun loads tend to have less deviation of the path of travel than 5.56 rifle loads. Then of course there are breaching applications, and then less lethal applications using things like bean bag loads. It's a very versatile shotgun, but it's still very limited.
The shotgun has been kept for a long time partly because of politics and moron police administrators that don't want guns that "look scary" to the public. Then there are administrators that do not understand terminal ballistics, and think that if you use a rifle round -any rifle round- that the bullet will go through the bad guy, overpenetrate and keep going 3 miles down the road where it'll go into an orphanage and kill a nun and 13 children.

Here's how it breaks down for gunfighting operation:

Shotgun- high recoil, slow follow-up shots, low magazine capacity, slow reloads with one round at a time, limited range of 25yds with buckshot, and 100yds with slug.
Rifle- low recoil, rapid follow-up shots, large magazine capability, rapid magazine changes, extended ranges allow use as a standoff weapon, compact size for use in CQB.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote