E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-22-2013, 09:12 PM   #1
CharlzO

My Ride: 2000 328ci
Suspension refresh double-check

Ok, just wanted a quick opinion on my checklist atm, before I hit the Submit button on my orders tonight.

Backstory: Car is at 140k miles, still mostly original parts from what I know of. Rear shocks were replaced, as were RSMs about 15k ago. However, noticed that the right side of the rear of the car sits about 1/2" lower than the drivers side, my guess is spring is worn/bad, as nothing else looks amiss at a glance. (which after further reading, seems like it's normal. Never noticed before lol). Either way, time to finally get some more done. So:

Ordering up a Street Edge coilover kit Monday morning. In preparation for that, however, I figure there are other parts I need to get. However, rather than buy a complete Susp Refresh kit from ECS (since I already have new RSMs and whatnot), I figured I'd piece together what I need, and see about saving a few bucks. Here's where I'm at, so please feel free to let me know what I'm missing so far:

Front Strut Mount x 2
Strut Reinforcement Plate x 2
Front Upper Spring Pad x 2
Front Lower Spring Pad x 2
Front Flat Washer x 2
Stut Bolt x 2
Self-locking Collar Nut x 12 (not sure how many I really need, but can't hurt to have extras?)

Rear upper Spring Pad x 2
Rear Lower Spring Pad x 2
Rear Shock Bolt x 2

Coilover kit shows end links included, I've already got Control Arms standing by for install. Doing Sway Bar bushings, tie rods, and RTABs in a few more weeks afterwards. But for the initial Coilover install, am I missing anything off-hand to allow that to go smoothly?

Thanks in advance (and I know there are a ton of threads out there on it, but figured it'd be easier to say "did I miss anything" and get someone who knows it firsthand to catch anything wrong, than it would be to try to compare and either still miss stuff, or get extras)

Last edited by CharlzO; 06-22-2013 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Auto-save 1371957340
CharlzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:32 PM   #2
trj

My Ride: 325Ci

I think you have pretty much covered the basics on coilovers install.
I am doing the strut mounts again because I re used the one I already had. Now it's creaking.

You don't need the front spring pads though. The oem washer goes between the coils and strut mount. Thats all.
Also you can re use the upper rear spring pad in the lower side when installing coils.

I have the same coils so I know.
Endlinks will be included with the kit.

I am not sure about your plans but I held off the strut reinforcement plates because I plan to add strut brave in sometime.

However, if you have wheels that are more than 40 offset, you will rub the tires to the spring in the front. So if you have stock wheels then better get at least 5 mm spacers.

I am running 10mm at the front and 15mm spacers in the rear.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-22-2013, 09:33 PM   #3
trj

Plus of you are going to DIY, get some power/air tools. Your life will be much easier.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:41 PM   #4
CharlzO

My Ride: 2000 328ci
My step-brother's got a garage we're going to use for it (gonna be a lot easier indoors, on a nice concrete surface lol). Compressor and whatnot as well. I do have to measure my offset though on what I've got on it, I forgot what it was, and don't want to cut it too close. But I'd rather get the right ones first. I'll order those up separate after I get this order submitted through. I'll pull the trigger, and hopefully not have to hold off longer than I have to. Adding an oil change, and fuel filter as well, might as well get them out of the way. Thanks for your reply!
CharlzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:52 PM   #5
trj

You should be able to knock the suspension job in no time if you have air tools.

Again, you won't need the spring perches for the front.