E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Food Talk

Food Talk
Do you like food? If so, you came to the right off-topic section. Discuss your favorite food topics here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-22-2013, 11:12 AM   #1
auto180sx

My Ride: '02 Steel Blue 330Ci
Reconditioning Le Creuset Cast Iron

Went on a Ebay ordering spree and acquired this:

Whats the best way to recondition the interior of the cast iron? I'm currently in the process of stripping a Lodge cast iron skillet with Oven Off, but I'd be worried about using something that strong with the enameled exterior. Hopefully I can still acquire a new top for this with Le Creuset's lifetime warranty since its got chipped enamel on top and inside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a27.JPG
Views:	322
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	512450  

OKI BMW
BMW CCA Member #444186

Last edited by auto180sx; 06-22-2013 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Auto-save 1371917603
auto180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:13 AM   #2
ride365

It is my understanding that if you put any cast iron pan in a hot (500 degree?) oven long enough, it will slough off whatever build up it has back down to base iron. I've heard of people reconditioning yard sale pans like this.

That technique should work on your regular cast iron without the need for Oven Off, however I don't know what affect it would have on enamel coating. I believe most Le Creuset is rated up to 450 degrees, so you could give that a try.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:29 AM   #3
budman
-not a mod-

My Ride: is your mom
Send a message via AIM to budman Send a message via Yahoo to budman
Put oven on low heat like 250 or so.. lather that inside up with crisco and put in the oven for about an hour or two.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:53 PM   #4
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
the inside it what you want to "recondition" as that is the part where the food comes in contact with...

if memory serves me correctly

1. lightly scrub the inside of the cast iron with warm water and 0000 steel wool. do NOT use brillo with any chemicals or what not. if the cast iron is in rough shape, it is ok to use a TINY bit of soap first time around, rinse thoroughly, and then do again with just 0000 steel wool

2. coat the inside of the pan with oil... any high temp oil is good from what i recall. i have walnut oil which is good to 450 or 500 I believe.

3. place the pan upside down in the oven and keep it in there for 30 min or so... place some aluminum foil on rack below for any of the oil that will drip out.

done
JJR4884 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:56 PM   #5
VALMONT
The De46vil's Army

My Ride: 325Ci, Passat
Send a message via AIM to VALMONT Send a message via MSN to VALMONT
I just throw them on the bbq on high for an hour or so, cool them off, rub them with oil, oven low for an hour or 2.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:44 AM   #6
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by VALMONT View Post
I just throw them on the bbq on high for an hour or so, cool them off, rub them with oil, oven low for an hour or 2.
while that will definitely work well, the point of reconditioning the pan is to "bake" the oil into the surface of the pan. next time you do that, put the oil on first, then toss it on the bbq
JJR4884 is online now   Reply With Quote