E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2013, 03:11 PM   #1
MikeS123

My Ride: 2003 M3 Vert
Need help. Roof will not go up or down.

Two nights ago I was leaving the gym and I went to put my top down, and after the top was stowed, but the compartment lid was still in the air it stopped working. I took the key out and the lid fell by itself, but since then the top quit working all together. The lights next to the button would flash and when you would press it, it would light up solid but nothing would happen. I checked the fuses, and disconnected the battery, didn't find anything. I started looking at the convertible motor underneath the rear seats, but I just swapped that out with a new one 2 months ago. I started looking on here and was looking through the electrical sticky at top, so I looked at the wiring next to the hinge where everyone was saying that typical goes bad.

I cut through the loom and I found this:

One of the wires was completely cut and the other had a nick in the shielding. I repaired the one by soldering a small jumper and I taped the other one that had an exposed wire.

So cool, though the issue was fixed....nope. Still the top does not go up or down. And now the lights on the dash don't light up solid anymore. When you push on the up button nothing happens, but when you push on the down button the motor continuously runs through several cycles.

I took a video of that:

Not sure what else I need to check from here.
MikeS123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:20 PM   #2
taylor192

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
Is the top open or closed in that video?

I would manually close the top then press the open button and see what happens. The sequence for opening the top is:
- unlatch from windshield
- retract from windshield
- raise rear of top
* unlock storage lid
- raise storage lid
- lower top into storage area
- lower storage lid
* lock storage lid

The steps marked with a * are performed by the GM, not the CVM. Thus if the motor is behaving badly, the GM might be faulty (which I think is a common problem, as the GM controls the windows and sometimes the windows misbehave.

Alternatively ask a shop if it is possible to monitor the CVM during operation. If so, then you can determine what is going wrong without guessing.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:30 PM   #3
fmzip

My Ride: 2001 330cic & 530i
good points ^^^

You have to complete the cycle, the top is now confused.

Also, if you held the top down or top down button down for too long, longer than 30 seconds I think, it will send a permanent error code that will need to be cleared at the dealership before the top will be operational again
Old 06-12-2013, 02:01 AM   #4
taylor192

Re: Need help. Roof will not go up or down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmzip View Post
good points ^^^

You have to complete the cycle, the top is now confused.

Also, if you held the top down or top down button down for too long, longer than 30 seconds I think, it will send a permanent error code that will need to be cleared at the dealership before the top will be operational again
The codes are cleared by cycling the ignition. The top can recover from any position, it does not need to be reset to open or closed, or "synced".

Sent from my Nexus 7 using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-13-2013, 11:12 AM   #5
fmzip

When repairing my cut wires with the lid half closed resting on the soft top 3/4 closed, the thing would not simply operate by a push of a switch. It needed to be manually cycled with the hex key to complete its previous cycle. Isn't that what you were pointing out Taylor? I was concurring with your assessment

From what the BMW tech told me, the system needs to see several factors before the top operates. Some fatal codes will inhibit the top to function and need to be reset at the dealer. This seems to make sense as with other codes like the ABS light. Having the reset tool doesn't clear all codes, disconnect the occupancy sensor under the passenger seat with or without the battery connected and you have to go to the dealer to get it cleared. I presume certain things are stored in RAM/ROM as a failsafe which is why the key cycle doesn't work for everything

Last edited by fmzip; 06-13-2013 at 11:21 AM.
fmzip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:20 PM   #6
MikeS123

Thanks, I have tried it with the top manually closed and open now. The only thing that happens when I push the open button is the motor goes as shown in the video and nothing when I push close. What is also weird is now the lights on the dash don't light up anymore since I fixed the broken wire. They don't flash or don't come on solid when I push the buttons.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:59 PM   #7
fmzip

recheck all the wires, i saw one of mine was cut, another looking like it was ready to. Did you solder them?

Also check your fuses...

Last edited by fmzip; 06-14-2013 at 02:59 PM.
fmzip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:54 PM   #8
taylor192

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS123 View Post
Thanks, I have tried it with the top manually closed and open now. The only thing that happens when I push the open button is the motor goes as shown in the video and nothing when I push close. What is also weird is now the lights on the dash don't light up anymore since I fixed the broken wire. They don't flash or don't come on solid when I push the buttons.
Definitely check fuses first, they are listed in the glovebox.

Then you'll need to electrically measure the wires, not just visually check. Follow the sticky for checking the pinouts and buy/borrow a decent multimeter. Wires breaking at the bend depicted in the sticky are most common, yet some members have reported broken wires closer to the bottom hinge in the storage compartment where the wire loom bends 90+ degrees every cycle.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:42 PM   #9
MikeS123

I checked all the fuses. I did solder the wire that was broken. I cut into some more of the loom today just further down that bend where it was ziptied, and the wires were fine. I did check the resistance at the plug and I will say I am getting some funky readings, but it just seems it was working fine before, it seems weird that I might have multiple issues at once. Grrr, the top is so $%&*complicated, I had a Z24 vert back in college and it had almost 200k miles and I never once had an issue with the top going up or down.
Old 06-16-2013, 04:18 PM   #10
MikeS123

Something else I want to note, when I stick the key in and hold in the LOCK position, the windows role DOWN part of the way like when you lower the top. What you guys were saying about the cycles being off seems to make sense here, guess it needs to be reset at the dealer. When I hold in the UNLOCK position, the windows go down like normal though.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:27 PM   #11
MikeS123

Found the issue! There was another broken wire in this location (you have to remove the cover to get to it):

Last edited by MikeS123; 06-25-2013 at 01:28 PM.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:38 PM   #12
fmzip

Great find Mike!

Did you find this or did the stealership?
Old 06-25-2013, 06:39 PM   #13
taylor192

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
Wires breaking at the bend depicted in the sticky are most common, yet some members have reported broken wires closer to the bottom hinge in the storage compartment where the wire loom bends 90+ degrees every cycle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmzip View Post
Did you find this or did the stealership?