E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:28 AM   #781
Leezy321

My Ride: 2001 bmw 325i
dabears progress thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
do they run 10K's the next day?

i deadlift every week
Same... Sometimes twice a week. But if you're running a 10k the following day, deadlifting isn't such a good idea.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Leezy321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:08 AM   #782
bimmerchop

My Ride: spins 4
Send a message via AIM to bimmerchop
Quote:
ive actually posted that video here before, I use it in my pre-squat warmups. helps a lot but still doesn't do it for me, I think i need a lot more constant work

any favorites that are quick and easy/effective?
Before squatting or deadlifting, I'll run some mobility drills before my warm up sets. Some of my favorites are front to back / side to side leg swings, alternating groiners, groiners, hip flexor and IT band stretches. I would strongly recommend DeFranco's Agile 8 warm up routine… Give that a quick search.

At the end of every workout, I'll include some static holds; more groiners, hip flexion, hip extension, pigeon stretches, etc., along with some foam rolling of the lower back, IT band and adductors

I also perform a quick warm-up / bodyweight workout first thing in the morning before heading out to the gym. That usually includes some hip flexion and external rotation work.

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster." - Jeremy Clarkson

euro.techniks

EPL | TiAL | SDR | APR | Stratmosphere | 034 | ASP | SPEC | Fidanza | STaSIS | H-Sport | AWE | H&R | StopTech | BBS
bimmerchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:24 AM   #783
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerchop View Post
Before squatting or deadlifting, I'll run some mobility drills before my warm up sets. Some of my favorites are front to back / side to side leg swings, alternating groiners, groiners, hip flexor and IT band stretches. I would strongly recommend DeFranco's Agile 8 warm up routine… Give that a quick search.

At the end of every workout, I'll include some static holds; more groiners, hip flexion, hip extension, pigeon stretches, etc., along with some foam rolling of the lower back, IT band and adductors

I also perform a quick warm-up / bodyweight workout first thing in the morning before heading out to the gym. That usually includes some hip flexion and external rotation work.
damn, dedicated to mobility hey? I googled it, I actually do the first part (IT band foam roll in that position) already, so just gotta learn the other 7.

This website I thought did a good job of explaining in text + video the steps, will definitely start doing this for a warmup!

http://www.diystrengthtraining.com/s...nd-simple-six/

Start "small" with this and then see how my mobility improves (especially with ATG squats) over next couple weeks, maybe need to add even more
Old 06-13-2013, 01:21 PM   #784
bimmerchop

lol... I've always done some minor mobility work here and there with my static stretching at the end of my workouts. However, it wasn't until recently that I started to incorporate more of it, and like I said, personally it has definitely been helpful.

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster." - Jeremy Clarkson

euro.techniks

EPL | TiAL | SDR | APR | Stratmosphere | 034 | ASP | SPEC | Fidanza | STaSIS | H-Sport | AWE | H&R | StopTech | BBS

Last edited by bimmerchop; 06-13-2013 at 01:21 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:31 PM   #785
dabears

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerchop View Post
lol... I've always done some minor mobility work here and there with my static stretching at the end of my workouts. However, it wasn't until recently that I started to incorporate more of it, and like I said, personally it has definitely been helpful.
I've done some, but I think it has been too sporadic to make a difference... this seems structured. thanks again
Old 06-13-2013, 04:08 PM   #786
bimmerchop

NP my dude

euro.techniks

Old 06-14-2013, 09:23 AM   #787
dabears

169.0 this morning

Haven't weighed in the 160's since I moved back to Edmonton Apr / 2010.

Wrote this back then:

Quote:
Being a full time unemployed (read debt) student, I couldn't afford much for groceries let alone quality foods like chicken, steak, etc... kraft dinner was a staple food. I worked out hard 4 times a week during feburary -> early april, but the scale just went down instead of up. I moved back to edmonton in may, and a lot of people were commenting saying I looked really skinny... if I was sick etc. This was probably the greatest motivation to make the final push for sustainable change.

When I moved back I was a very unhealthy 165 lbs, which I remained until early july.
I was benching 115 lbs for 5-6 reps back then, and squatting 135 lbs (I specifically remembering injuring my lower back doing that weight too).

It looks like my strategy of not counting calories but eating more lean meats from time to time and especially replacing my added dietary fat with more vegetables has been a big help.

Excited to see where I'm at by end of July, hoping body composition has improved positively
Old 06-14-2013, 09:31 AM   #788
Leezy321

My Ride: 2001 bmw 325i
dabears progress thread

Back when I was "poor" and paying off loans my diet consisted of tuna and noodles. Haha

I added a lot of lean mass on that diet surprisingly!

Leezy321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:48 AM   #789
dabears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leezy321 View Post
Back when I was "poor" and paying off loans my diet consisted of tuna and noodles. Haha

I added a lot of lean mass on that diet surprisingly!

That's perfect for gaining lean mass, as long as you ate enough for growth. Nutrition and health.... not so much lol. I was living off a loan I took out that was really getting slim during that time, I remember I would go to burger king on wednesdays and get two whoopers without cheese for $4, and other days I'd have a box of KD for the day and maybe some tuna or chicken. I even babysat a kid and got meat in return instead of payment lol. Sooo glad those days are over

I was also driving my M3 which requires premium gas, so while I could barely afford to feed myself I was having to pay $1.50/L ($5.55/G) and lived about 15 miles from my school / town. Sweet!
Old 06-14-2013, 10:14 AM   #790
bostonsc4

My Ride: BMW 323i
Quote:
That's perfect for gaining lean mass, as long as you ate enough for growth. Nutrition and health.... not so much lol. I was living off a loan I took out that was really getting slim during that time, I remember I would go to burger king on wednesdays and get two whoopers without cheese for $4, and other days I'd have a box of KD for the day and maybe some tuna or chicken. I even babysat a kid and got meat in return instead of payment lol. Sooo glad those days are over

I was also driving my M3 which requires premium gas, so while I could barely afford to feed myself I was having to pay $1.50/L ($5.55/G) and lived about 15 miles from my school / town. Sweet!
Reminds me of my junior year in college where I worked a crappy little community desk shift signing people into and out of buildings till 3am that paid 56$ per week. That 56 had to be divided up among food for the week, booze for weekends, gas for the car. Insurance I'd have withdrawn from a savings account so I was good there but that 56 bucks was the reason I have a couple of grey hairs now.
bostonsc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:59 AM   #791
DILLA

My Ride: 330i ZHP
The crappy days of little money. I lived off of ramen, beans, hot dog wieners, and mass gainer. Hamburger helper was a weekend treat for leg days hopefully I never have to do anything like that again, better finish my degree
Excited to see your progress come July
Old 06-16-2013, 01:06 PM   #792
dabears

ran the 10k... it was "easier" than I thought it would be. Tied my shoes a little too tight, my right foot was numb for half the race.

Waiting on pics, but it was a great event. My time was 53:14, I think I could have shaved another minute or two off of it if I had sprinted the last two K (I had it in me but the girl I was running with was literally crying from a cramp, but good on her she kept going and pushed through). I think that is pretty decent for someone who never trained whatsoever lol

My calves and groin are extremely sore today, and got a nagging pain in my left foot. Ahh well

Last edited by dabears; 06-16-2013 at 01:07 PM.
dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:13 AM   #793
dabears

my foots arch is fked up and causing me a lot of pain when I put weight on it... so looks like I won't be squatting/deadlifting this week. still able to play hockey at least, but disappointing.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:20 AM   #794
bostonsc4

My Ride: BMW 323i
Quote:
ran the 10k... it was "easier" than I thought it would be. Tied my shoes a little too tight, my right foot was numb for half the race.

Waiting on pics, but it was a great event. My time was 53:14, I think I could have shaved another minute or two off of it if I had sprinted the last two K (I had it in me but the girl I was running with was literally crying from a cramp, but good on her she kept going and pushed through). I think that is pretty decent for someone who never trained whatsoever lol

My calves and groin are extremely sore today, and got a nagging pain in my left foot. Ahh well
Congratulations on finishing dude! Thats a great accomplishment. An hour long run is a long run anyway you look at it. Must have felt great crossing the finish line. Your time looked great too, thats about 8.5 min mile pace which is a solid pace! Whens the next event?
bostonsc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:18 AM   #795
dabears

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonsc4 View Post
Congratulations on finishing dude! Thats a great accomplishment. An hour long run is a long run anyway you look at it. Must have felt great crossing the finish line. Your time looked great too, thats about 8.5 min mile pace which is a solid pace! Whens the next event?
Yeah it felt great crossing but I made the mistake of just stopping up instead of coming to a light stop... Felt so sick and like my legs were going to give out lol. They had bananas and muscle milk shakes at the finish line which was nice.

With the experience now I know I could get sub 50 by sprinting the downhill portion (if I knew proper form to do that) along with some other minor tweaks.

Next event is one year from now hopefully lol... this is NOT something I want to continue doing. I got injured (probably could have avoided if I trained for race), it is affecting my lifts, and it just felt like more of a how you deal with pain thing than an athletic endeavour... excuse my running bias

I had a keg party afterwards and then two hockey games yesterday... looking forward to just relaxing for next couple of days.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:26 AM   #796
dabears

I am still fkking sore from saturday 10K / sunday hockey games. Unreal. My foot is slowly getting better though, think I just aggravated a ligament / foot muscle (whatever those are called) vs. stress fracture.

I haven't deadlifted in 3 weeks (took a week off to rest, got drunk night before and missed a workout, didn't workout friday due to 10K) , and I got my belt in last week... was stoked to try it but life / other activities are getting in the way.

Been eating very healthy, watching fat intake (eating a lot more chicken than usual) and playing a lot of hockey. It is looking like I'll have 4 games a week all throughout july, so I am going to need to get creative with my lifting days.

Think I will do a single workout this week of bench press / chin-ups / pull-ups / dips / pushups / seated cable rows, as I don't want to put any stress on my foot... so any exercise where I'm standing is automatically out. doesn't leave much, but I think this will do. Hockey is a great core / leg workout as well.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:09 AM   #797
dabears

168.0 this morning... slowly, surely it is coming off. Stomach looks "weird"... the sides have lost a ton of fat but the stubborn fat in the middle is clinging on, but it won't last. I've been carrying it for over 10 years now. Will take pics at end of month
Old 06-24-2013, 11:22 AM   #798
dabears

Golfing on saturday my foot started to flare up... I read a lot (and learned a lot) about the different areas of the foot and typical running injuries, I'm 99% sure I don't have a stress fracture after performing the recommended tests, but I'm pretty much a lock for "peroneal tendonitis" which is basically inflammation of the tendon running down from my ankle on my left foot.

Since it flared back up I'll be icing it / soaking it in an epsom salt solution... very frustrating since I want to squat and I don't think I can, still playing hockey though.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:45 PM   #799
dabears

Today marked the 14th day I've been away from the gym... I've still been active but just isn't the same, felt great to get back in there. Foot is still suspect, but I'm going to give squats a go tomorrow. Enough is enough

Bench
95x5
115x4
135x3
Then

185x4
160x6
150x7
140x8

Incline DB's
60's x 8
60's x 5
60's x 5

Pushups
27 total, tyson round style.

Played hockey last night so was sort of tired, and forgot to eat carbs for lunch. Still I was happy I was able to rep 185 for over 3 reps, looks like I'll be able to stay in the 3-5 rep range for that until I can bulk again.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:49 PM   #800
dabears

Foot felt great today, so I'm back to squatting.

I decided to give ATG a go, and I found my flexibility when going as low as possible was only one more safety bar down... So I think I was doing decent before. My ass doesn't touch my calves, nor do I ever think ill be able to do that... But who knows.

That being said, that extra 5-6 inches of depth stripped 35 lbs off my squat... I almost failed on 5th rep of 225 topset. But it felt awesome, really felt contraction in hamstrings and glutes.

Warmup was a bit much, but I decided before topset to do all to depth.

135x5
185x4
225x5
205x6
185x7
170x8

Hope to have a video or at least pic of depth one day...