E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-27-2013, 12:12 PM   #101
kushy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: kids these days are pu55ies
Posts: 238
My Ride: automatic m3
Service in London is fine if you go with the understanding that service is different in Europe. Compared to Paris, the service in London is great. With that being said it really depends on the city that you're in, and I think it's too rigid to say that service in Europe is shite.
kushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:24 PM   #102
rapier7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: ATL
Posts: 78
My Ride: Subaru BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurreyF1 View Post
You have had it with entitled waiters? What kind of restaurants do you go to where you have a waiter who expresses how entitled he feels to be tipped? Do you tip them a small percentage and then they approach you and complain that you didn't pay them enough? Save your feelings for this one, you sound bitter and are using your emotions to justify maybe not leaving a tip.
I used to tip quite well. Now I tip the standard 15%. And I'm not saying the waiter acts entitled in front of the customer's face. They're just acting entitled in threads and conversations like these.

Quote:
Lets get right down to the the facts of this matter, because at the end of the day, I can assure you tipping 15% or whatever is much more worth your while than plan B.

If everyone took your stance, or whoever's stance, on feeling that they shouldn't tip, this is what would happen. Waiters/bartenders/etc... the entire front of the house, would be FAR less inclined to work in the restaurant business because they know they are going to work their asses off for a few bucks an hour. They will drop like flies, every single one. What do you think that is going to cause for restaurant owners? Depending on the demand of what people usually make, they are going to have to start paying waiters upwards of $15-$20 an hour because that is what waiters make.

Take a guess what that would do to their menu prices? Come on now, you are smart... we have the lesser of two evils if you ask me. Tipping has always been socially acceptable. I try to understand everyone's point of view with this, but to sit there (not you, this is more general) and say "well you know what you are getting paid, deal with it, I'm not tipping you" is probably the most pretentious, prick, cocky, and cheap thing anyone could do, on top of arrogance and ignorance as well. If the service sucks, completely different story, but if you have a pleasant meal, the waiter should be compensated for that.
No, most likely restaurants would convert to mostly self service. The only ones who would still keep waiters would be fine dining establishments. I'd much rather order up front and take my food out to my table (or fast casual, order up front, take a number, and have a server come find me) than pay a tip.

Quote:
What most people don't know it... to be a good waiter, you actually have to be relatively smart. All you white collar pencil pushers have a high expectation of the inferior servers of todays society, but what makes a good waiter is a number of admirable traits like intelligence, common sense (which no one seems to have nowadays,) timing, and a level of awareness capable of keeping up with multiple tables at a time. It is a very fast pace business and when you are client facing, guess what... sh*t can go down real fast. I can assure you that any decent waiter out there, or exceptional waiter... is far more intelligent overall than say, your typical personal banker.
I think personal bankers are a waste of money too. I manage my own investments and conduct all my transactions online or at an ATM. Your job is not that difficult. It's just stressful. But it's a low stakes kind of stressful, one that I feel is not commensurate with 15-20 dollars an hour in most cases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurreyF1 View Post
And once again, I'll repeat again. Go be a waiter, then you can defend this statement. I'm not saying you need to be a genius to be a waiter, but a good waiter at a halfway decent restaurant is much more intelligent, both book and street smart than your average person.

Your ignorance proves that you have no clue what it is like to juggle multiple tables at once. Multi-tasking and mentally being on top of all of your tables at the same time, in a full house on a Saturday night, keeping up with your busboys, food runners, kitchen staff, and bar. Seriously, please do not discredit waiters as a whole... if you have never done it, you don't know what goes into it. Just because you don't have to get an education to be a waiter doesn't mean that it is an easy job. There are problems every night in restaurants, and a good waiter will be able to adjust calmly and accordingly to make your night at the dinner table seamless. As far as fast food... they click a screen and then they give you your food... that does not take any certain skill set.
I worked concessions at a movie theater in high school during Friday and weekend nights. The rush kept us busy for an hour at a time every 3 hours and it was stressful, especially when I had a rude customer.

Frankly, I don't think that my former job was too much different from yours. Is juggling tables an extra burden? Yes. Is dealing with the kitchen an extra burden? Sure. But that's more of a sign of an inefficient food service process than waiters getting paid what they're "worth".
__________________
http://meta-rhetoric.com - Unfiltered Reality
rapier7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:26 PM   #103
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 904
My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by kushy View Post
Service in London is fine if you go with the understanding that service is different in Europe. Compared to Paris, the service in London is great. With that being said it really depends on the city that you're in, and I think it's too rigid to say that service in Europe is shite.
I didn't say sh!t. I said sh!t when compared to the US.
__________________
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:32 PM   #104
scott0482
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 674
My Ride: 2001 530i
Send a message via AIM to scott0482
18-20%; more if they give me something free.
__________________

Last edited by scott0482; 06-27-2013 at 09:33 PM.
scott0482 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:42 PM   #105
Zell
Registered User
 
Zell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Such City
Posts: 5,640
My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
Tipping is a bullshit way for restaurants to pay their employees less and keep written food prices lower on the menu.

I should "tip" someone if they did a stellar job, not because I am guilted into putting bread on their table. It's pretty much charity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evidence View Post
This^^

Why should I have to look at what the sever has to handle...so because I came at a busy time and it's to much for you the handle and I should be okay with sub standard service? Did me coming in for dinner inconvenience you and over work you for the day? Everything is you listed is your problem, not mine, why would you extra a standard tip when standard service wasn't given? Because it's the norm?
Yeah, because it's totally the server's fault if they are under-staffed for an evening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurreyF1 View Post
know it... to be a good waiter, you actually have to be relatively smart. All you white collar pencil pushers have a high expectation of the inferior servers of todays society, but what makes a good waiter is a number of admirable traits like intelligence, common sense (which no one seems to have nowadays,) timing, and a level of awareness capable of keeping up with multiple tables at a time. It is a very fast pace business and when you are client facing, guess what... sh*t can go down real fast. I can assure you that any decent waiter out there, or exceptional waiter... is far more intelligent overall than say, your typical personal banker.
That's weird, because if that took as much intelligence and was as difficult as you say, then waiters would be getting paid much more than they do.

Any regular jerkoff can go be a waiter. That's like 5 days of training. It takes 4-8 years of school to do jobs that actually matter.

I chose not to work as a waiter back in high school and college, because **** that. All I hear from waiters is how much they hate their jobs. I started simple, at a grocery store. Bagger -> Cashier -> Produce. It sucked and half the time I hated it, but I never found myself complaining as hard as my friends who were waiters. It sure as hell made me appreciate every job I had thereafter, that's for sure. It also made me realize how incredibly self-entitled and shitty people treat others in the world, as a whole. Oh, and apparently if you are out of juice, it's actually a conspiracy where you aren't going to tell them where it is because you're racist.

Working with computers was one skill I knew that I had , so I decided to try and exploit it. I knew I had good, applicable skills in that area, so I applied for jobs in my college's IT department. Basic technician -> One of three people programming smart classrooms for the entire school of 30,000 people, just from learning a programming language while I was there. Then I moved from IT to paid statistical research, and from there to my current job. I loved all of those jobs after the grocery store. IT was easily the most flexible job I ever had.

After hearing about waiters whine about how hard it is and how much they hate their jobs, I have less pity for them seeing as they are not applying any of the skills that they have. Well, except for those that are actually excellent at dealing with people and consistently make the highest in tips, then they are. Kudos to them for working their magic. But for the others that just do it because they feel like they have to, they could have applied somewhere else that only requires not having any felonies, but they chose waiting. Waiting is like being a butler. That sucks. If you don't like that concept, don't do it. No one forced them into that job. The amount of other open jobs around are higher than most people think. They just don't know where to look. It's a combination of serendipity and looking around. "There aren't any jobs" is an absolute bullshit excuse for being too lazy to actually look, or not being open to trying anything new. There are absolute loads of jobs out there.
__________________

Last edited by Zell; 06-27-2013 at 11:26 PM.
Zell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:56 PM   #106
E46330iguy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Canada,SK
Posts: 2,411
My Ride: Supercharged 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000beamer View Post
Depending on what kind of restaurant you attend, I believe that it is unacceptable to not leave a tip for your waiter. Sure, they keep your drink filled but at the restaurant where I work, the servers are constantly checking on the status of food, making sure that orders were put in correctly, and typically trying to make you as comfortable as possible. When you're gone, the servers are the ones who have to sweep the floor under your table where all of your mess is. Also, you need to keep in mind that when you don't tip, it isn't only the waiter/waitress that you're not tipping. The busboys also get a percentage of tips, and they are the ones who roll your silverware, carry your food (in many cases,) and do all of the dirty work at the end of the night (I.e. taking out the trash, cleaning the bathrooms, folding chairs, etc.) Don't forget that we have very difficult schedules, and many people who work in restaurants don't even get home until mid-night, and then have school in the morning. People in the restaurant business (including myself) depend on tips. Hopefully you will re-consider the next time you decide not to leave a tip.
Like I said before if they deserve it because they went above and beyond their dutys then they get a tip. Maybe their job does suck maybe its hard. But you know what? They picked it not me All the things you listed are part of their job and are traits of an unskilled labourer. My job is hard and labourous too I have to be hot and sweatty in the summer and cold in the winter but i dont get tips because i did my job to its full extent. thats what i get PAID for. I work 14 hours a day, I have a house and a yard to maintain and a dog to walk so complaining about working late dosent work on me either. All your listing are hard parts of the job and saying that because the job isnt easy as pie they are entiled to more money. If the food was excellent the chef gets the tip, If my glass is never more than half full. they are cheery maybe suggest something on the menu that i liked then i will tip them usually $20 regarless of the the meal price, And I tell them to keep the tip not give it to the pool. THEY earned it not the bus boys or anyone else. Just because the bus boys did their job dosent entitle them to a tip either
__________________
Winter Authority When Hell freezes over,we'll play Hockey there too



you've Met a terrible fate haven't you ?


KONI /Michelin/Stoptec/Borla/ Bimmerbrake / MTechII/AA Stage one (for now) Automatic--->5 speed swap/ UUC High performance clutch kit

Questions about Header wrap? clickHere
Supercharger build thread click Here

Last edited by E46330iguy; 06-27-2013 at 11:04 PM.
E46330iguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:10 PM   #107
Evidence
Registered User
 
Evidence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Downey, Ca
Posts: 607
My Ride: sold
Send a message via AIM to Evidence
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
Tipping is a bullshit way for restaurants to pay their employees less and keep written food prices lower on menu.

I should "tip" someone if they did a stellar job, not because I am guilted into putting bread on their table. It's pretty much charity.



Yeah, because it's totally the server's fault if they are under-staffed for an evening. Be less of a dick about it. Don't like the service? Complain to the manager, get up, leave, and go to a less-busy restaurant. Or is that too inconvenient for you?
It is an inconvenience for me. I'm a paying customer, why should I adjust myself for the business? I'm not being a d1ck it's the truth. Would you tip a barber if they messed up your hair because it was busy and they were rushing? The businesses situation is not my problem...why should it be?
Evidence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:13 PM   #108
VaderDave
Invictus
 
VaderDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: El Dorado Hills, CA
Posts: 11,896
My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
The other day I was drafting some legal documents for a client. I was very busy and accidentally made myself the sole beneficiary of the client's will/trust instead of his kids. But I was very busy and so the client ought to be happy he had something to sign at all.

EDIT: I also charged the client a rush fee.

Last edited by VaderDave; 06-27-2013 at 11:14 PM.
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:19 PM   #109
Tommyboy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: WA
Posts: 1,190
My Ride: 08 335i
http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lists/tipping/

RESTAURANTS/BARS
Waiter/waitress: 15% of bill (excl. tax) for adequate service; 20% for very good service; no less than 10% for poor service
Headwaiter/captain: often gets a cut of table server's tip; so tip your server extra to reward captain, or tip captain separately
Sommelier, or wine steward: 15% of cost of the bottle
Bartender: 15% to 20% of the tab, with a minimum of 50 cents per soft drink, $1 per alcoholic drink
Coatroom attendant: $1 per coat
Parking valet or garage attendant: $2 to bring your car to you
Washroom attendant: 50 cents to $1
__________________
Tommyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:32 PM   #110
Zell
Registered User
 
Zell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Such City
Posts: 5,640
My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evidence View Post
It is an inconvenience for me. I'm a paying customer, why should I adjust myself for the business? I'm not being a d1ck it's the truth. Would you tip a barber if they messed up your hair because it was busy and they were rushing? The businesses situation is not my problem...why should it be?
My hair is something that takes months to grow back. An understaffed restaurant is a minor inconvenience for one night. Feel at least some sympathy for the fact that the the waiter must take the the brunt force of it in terms of lower tips, angrier customers, and twice as much running back and forth, all because their manager messed up the schedule, or someone called in sick last-minute. They're working twice as hard for a problem that isn't theirs. That's like tipping the delivery guy less because your pizza came out shitty.

If a restaurant has a staffing problem, then don't visit it. A good host will tell you if they are understaffed before seating.

If the restaurant is empty and you have poor service, then there's no excuse, and it is by all-means the server's fault.

Speaking of delivery, why the crap is there both a delivery charge and tip?
__________________

Last edited by Zell; 06-27-2013 at 11:37 PM.
Zell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:28 AM   #111
DILLA
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: San Antonio, Tx
Posts: 1,398
My Ride: 330i ZHP
A lot of people need to go wait tables
__________________
LRx
DILLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:48 AM   #112
always-there
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 1,220
My Ride: 2002 BMW 330I
how much do you generally tip at restaurants?

15%


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
always-there is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:59 AM   #113
evolved
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Saint Louis, MO
Posts: 816
My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DILLA View Post
A lot of people need to go wait tables


+1

The comments are always hilarious in threads like this.....a lot of people coming up with overly complicated ways of saying they're cheap.
__________________

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig

Last edited by evolved; 06-28-2013 at 07:13 AM.
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:10 PM   #114
E46330iguy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Canada,SK
Posts: 2,411
My Ride: Supercharged 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post


+1

The comments are always hilarious in threads like this.....a lot of people coming up with overly complicated ways of saying they're cheap.
I think these threads are about waiters complaining they dont get paid enough just like the rest of us and feel entiled to something they are not. What makes a waiter more special than my job? tipping was back from when they didnt get paid a dime and got all their wage from tips, Thats not how it works toda.
I have to clean up all day, I have to deal with ass holes I have to do other things ppl tell me to do. Thefore i deserve a tip because i did the written duties of my job and got paid a wage? B*tch please
__________________
Winter Authority When Hell freezes over,we'll play Hockey there too



you've Met a terrible fate haven't you ?


KONI /Michelin/Stoptec/Borla/ Bimmerbrake / MTechII/AA Stage one (for now) Automatic--->5 speed swap/ UUC High performance clutch kit

Questions about Header wrap? clickHere
Supercharger build thread click Here

Last edited by E46330iguy; 06-28-2013 at 07:13 PM.
E46330iguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:17 PM   #115
Fergo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: GA
Posts: 521
My Ride: still a gay 135i
.02
__________________

^c***s
2 easy 2 make hp turbos
Fergo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:53 PM   #116
v8 5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New Jarzy, New Jarzy
Posts: 343
My Ride: 6 speed BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46330iguy View Post
I think these threads are about waiters complaining they dont get paid enough just like the rest of us and feel entiled to something they are not. What makes a waiter more special than my job? tipping was back from when they didnt get paid a dime and got all their wage from tips, Thats not how it works toda.
I have to clean up all day, I have to deal with ass holes I have to do other things ppl tell me to do. Thefore i deserve a tip because i did the written duties of my job and got paid a wage? B*tch please
I never got tips lifting lumber to trucks, dealing with 5 customers at a time and being yelled at, calculating floor plans, etc... waiters are full of themselves.
__________________
Gutted with a Getrag



We have 4 websites within the family.
v8 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:54 PM   #117
v8 5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New Jarzy, New Jarzy
Posts: 343
My Ride: 6 speed BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
The comments are always hilarious in threads like this.....a lot of people coming up with overly complicated ways of saying they're cheap.


These comments are hilarious... a lot of self-entitled people coming up with ways to make their job seem hard. You need to go work in construction one day.
__________________
Gutted with a Getrag



We have 4 websites within the family.
v8 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:15 PM   #118
VaderDave
Invictus
 
VaderDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: El Dorado Hills, CA
Posts: 11,896
My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
Re: how much do you generally tip at restaurants?

I just tipped 20 percent at my favorite local Italian restaurant.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using BimmerApp mobile app
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:06 PM   #119
evolved
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Saint Louis, MO
Posts: 816
My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46330iguy View Post
I think these threads are about waiters complaining they dont get paid enough just like the rest of us and feel entiled to something they are not. What makes a waiter more special than my job? tipping was back from when they didnt get paid a dime and got all their wage from tips, Thats not how it works toda.
I have to clean up all day, I have to deal with ass holes I have to do other things ppl tell me to do. Thefore i deserve a tip because i did the written duties of my job and got paid a wage? B*tch please
When I worked for tips, outside of valet, I was paid less than $3 an hour and that amount mostly covered my taxes. Waiters typically get paid around that $2-3 range per hour.

It seems that most people making the argument of "well, I don't get tipped at my job, yada yada yada" conveniently forget that you don't get paid below minimum wage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post


These comments are hilarious... a lot of self-entitled people coming up with ways to make their job seem hard. You need to go work in construction one day.
I have worked construction for more than one day....many days, in fact, and I got paid $30ish an hour so there was no need for tips.
__________________

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:33 PM   #120
DILLA
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: San Antonio, Tx
Posts: 1,398
My Ride: 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post


These comments are hilarious... a lot of self-entitled people coming up with ways to make their job seem hard. You need to go work in construction one day.
I worked construction for a while, I wasn't getting paid 2.13$ an hour.
No doubt construction is tough, but it pays well for what it is. Waiting tables is a pain in the a$$ job, if you haven't done it, you can't say sh1t about it, but it's one of the few jobs that people can work another job or go to school full time with. We aren't entitled to more than minimum wage, but people who have worked/work in the industry appreciate servers for what they do since they know what they put up with. There is a "skill set" that it takes to be a server, if you haven't done it, you wouldn't understand.
__________________
LRx
DILLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use