E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-27-2013, 10:14 PM   #41
SPDSKTR

My Ride: E30 with an S52
Re: Wood working and metal working thread

You. Build me a car.

[Sent from my Galaxy Nexus.]

330i/Ci Bang for the Buck Horsepower Guide
Want 5% off any BimmerBrakes.com purchase? PM me for details!
SPDSKTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:45 AM   #42
serdar255

My Ride: '01 325ci / '90 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mlifeforum View Post
Nice thread, I will post some up shortly. I am a metal shaper and fabricator by trade. I work at a high end car shop. I do quite a alot of restorations, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, and other projects also. These are all my daily projects.

I love metal work. If I had time I would post more. Thanks for this cool thread.

The world... it need more people like you.

For coding, custom shift knobs, and vinyl stickers: PM me

Last edited by serdar255; 06-28-2013 at 01:45 AM.
serdar255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:05 AM   #43
kuksul08

My Ride: M3
Nice job on the shift knobs OP, what are the shiny ones made out of and how did you get it so perfect manually?

I also made several knobs for friends out of Delrin:

Also here's some machining I did on the lathe for an LED headlight:

I really want a CNC milling machine... think of how it would expand the possibilities. Played with the idea of building my own but it won't satisfy my long term needs for rigidity so I'm still saving up for a legit cast iron machine with PC interface.

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0
kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:56 AM   #44
serdar255

My Ride: '01 325ci / '90 325i
Wood working and metal working thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuksul08 View Post
Nice job on the shift knobs OP, what are the shiny ones made out of and how did you get it so perfect manually?

I also made several knobs for friends out of Delrin:

Sanding, loads of sanding, I go from 40 grit up to 3000 progressively. I am also saving for a CNC milling machine. They certainly aren't cheap.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

For coding, custom shift knobs, and vinyl stickers: PM me
serdar255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:10 AM   #45
mitch5

My Ride: nothing
Re: Wood working and metal working thread

Quote:
Nice thread, I will post some up shortly. I am a metal shaper and fabricator by trade. I work at a high end car shop. I do quite a alot of restorations, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, and other projects also. These are all my daily projects.

Ferrari Daytona, missing a door pull cover, made a new one

Ferrari NGT, needed new aluminum restrictor tubes.

A vehicle I am working on right now. This is how we received it.

This is the work in progress.

Gauge layout after I finished the dash, yes they are paper. haha

Customers Roadster, they wanted a new hood with a scoop. There you go.

Ferrari 250 adjustable headrest

1969 Ferrari 330GTS, fender was screwed so I cut it off. then I used what metal was still original and good to recreate a new proper fender.

Ferrari California, Hit something. These Fenders are about $9k from Ferrari. So I fixed it.

I love metal work. If I had time I would post more. Thanks for this cool thread.
Hey i hope you don't mind me asking but how did you get into the kind of work you do. Did u start your own small shop or did you join one.

I ask because my dad who is turning 50 is old school and has done bodywork for 30 year. He's getting older(works at a really high flow body shop) and I'm trying to steer him towards trying to do more high end slower paced work.

I know he can repair just about anything. I wish I could find the pictures of the Aston martin v12 vantage fender that he repaired.

mitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:31 AM   #46
Raymond42262

My Ride: Is German
Man, y'all are good.
When I was in high school the most high tech tools we had in the shop were routers and lathes.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:44 AM   #47
LeMansteve

My Ride: '04 330i 6mt ZSP ZPP

Question for the wood guys since I know nothing about woodworking: I have a solid wood door we painted with the Ferrari logo in 2001. We took it off the hinges in Sept 2001 and it has been in storage (indoors) since then. I don't think it will see use as a door again but I want to preserve our work. Could the door be "shaved" down to, say, half it's thickness? Where could i bring it to do this kind of work? I was thinking of taking it down to the minimum thickness while still retaining the paint work and hanging it in the garage.

Sorry, don't have pictures right now.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:20 AM   #48
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
Wow: awesome stuff, guys.
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:23 AM   #49
Brevik

My Ride: Tiag M3
Here are a few of my projects, the first is an amplifier cabinet, middle photo is the floors in my house and the last one is a reproduction of an original room divider that is in my rental property.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	phone pics 062.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	513439   Click image for larger version

Name:	phone pics 075.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	513440   Click image for larger version

Name:	phone pics 026.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	513441   Click image for larger version

Name:	living room 1085.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	513442  

Old 06-28-2013, 09:52 AM   #50
WerksM3

My Ride: 2002 M3
Guys-

Check this out. I am drooling over this very badly and want one in my shop. DIY CNC machine is on kickstarter. You can have one for $2,400.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-tool?ref=live
Old 06-28-2013, 11:04 AM   #51
Vin Vega

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by WerksM3 View Post
Guys-

Check this out. I am drooling over this very badly and want one in my shop. DIY CNC machine is on kickstarter. You can have one for $2,400.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-tool?ref=live

DAMMM

I want a shop bot so badly, that one seems more consumer friendly. There other **** starts at like $12,000.

And they are pretty local to me, jebus!

Last edited by Vin Vega; 06-28-2013 at 11:04 AM.
Vin Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:26 AM   #52
IdahoToyo

My Ride: 4WD Tundra / GS500F
There is a lot of great work in here, big props to everyone who has posted so far -- enjoyable to browse through.

The difference between school and life? In school, you're taught a lesson and then given a test. In life, you're given a test that teaches you a lesson.
IdahoToyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:18 PM   #53
Racerx63

My Ride: 2001 330i
Quote:

Ferrari Daytona, missing a door pull cover, made a new one

Ferrari NGT, needed new aluminum restrictor tubes.

A vehicle I am working on right now. This is how we received it.

This is the work in progress.

Gauge layout after I finished the dash, yes they are paper. haha

Customers Roadster, they wanted a new hood with a scoop. There you go.

Ferrari 250 adjustable headrest

1969 Ferrari 330GTS, fender was screwed so I cut it off. then I used what metal was still original and good to recreate a new proper fender.

Ferrari California, Hit something. These Fenders are about $9k from Ferrari. So I fixed it.

Beautiful!! I would love to do that type of work. It would not be "WORK" any longer! It would be a passion!
Racerx63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:05 PM   #54
jwm5

My Ride: station wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMansteve View Post
Question for the wood guys since I know nothing about woodworking: I have a solid wood door we painted with the Ferrari logo in 2001. We took it off the hinges in Sept 2001 and it has been in storage (indoors) since then. I don't think it will see use as a door again but I want to preserve our work. Could the door be "shaved" down to, say, half it's thickness? Where could i bring it to do this kind of work? I was thinking of taking it down to the minimum thickness while still retaining the paint work and hanging it in the garage.

Sorry, don't have pictures right now.

You would need a giant planer and IMO that is more work than its worth to get it to be thinner/lighter. Just hang it as is...

one of my projects...Storage cabinet made for a bathroom. Re-purposed old weathered deck boards and trimmed them down to size to make the cabinet top/bottom sides and doors.

jwm5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:10 PM   #55
wasp9166
ima touching member

My Ride: 04 330i jet black
Send a message via Yahoo to wasp9166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerx63 View Post
It was fun! He has since sold it. It lives in Kansas now somewhere. Here is another picture that shows a bit more of the engine.

ummmmmmmmmm, how is this mounted?

and that has got to be loud as hell

"if polarity comes from protons, does morality come from morons?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330 View Post
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."

Last edited by wasp9166; 06-28-2013 at 02:11 PM.
wasp9166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:19 PM   #56
2lgt2qt

My Ride: 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glight View Post
I'm going to be making some stuff out of reclaimed wood for furniture at our new house. Any interest in making some stuff and sending it to me for frames for some of it? I can send you specs and you can make it (so it bolts together) and ship it to me if you're interested. I'm more than willing to pay a fair price.
That would be cool. If you can, send me the specs and what you would be interested in, I would be more than willing to at least look at what you would want made.

2lgt2qt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:43 PM   #57
DangerousMind

My Ride: Sierra 1500 SLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasp9166 View Post
ummmmmmmmmm, how is this mounted?

and that has got to be loud as hell
You can see one of the engine mounts on the bottom left. It probably uses a Porsche G60 or similar transaxle. Turbos do muffle and smooth out the sound a bit compared to open headers but I would imagine it is still loud as hell.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:39 PM   #58
Raymond42262

My Ride: Is German
Quote:
Originally Posted by breiwa1 View Post
Here are a few of my projects, the first is an amplifier cabinet, middle photo is the floors in my house and the last one is a reproduction of an original room divider that is in my rental property.
I like the last pic. Nice den.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:10 PM   #59
kuksul08

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by serdar255 View Post
Sanding, loads of sanding, I go from 40 grit up to 3000 progressively. I am also saving for a CNC milling machine. They certainly aren't cheap.

Haha nice. Any machine you're looking at specifically? I really like the Tormach 1100 but some people say it doesn't give professional results.

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0
kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:40 PM   #60
DangerousMind

My Ride: Sierra 1500 SLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuksul08 View Post
Haha nice. Any machine you're looking at specifically? I really like the Tormach 1100 but some people say it doesn't give professional results.
I would go with a used CNC knee mill over that Tormach machine. You could even buy a used Bridgeport and retrofit a CNC control. That is if you have the floor space.