E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-28-2013, 11:41 AM   #1
Benny Minn

My Ride: 2004 325xiT
Performance rear sway bar with stock links?

Does anyone run a rear aftermarket sway bar with the stock links?

I see that the factory bar has two long ends that simply press into the link bushings, but the H&R bar that I bought from a fellow fanatic here has ~11mm holes. The OEM links on the car currently are in good condition. Is it absolutely necessary that I get adjustable aftermarket links to attach to this bar? It seems like if I find the right bolt/washer/nut combo I might be able to make what I have work.

I defer to the wisdom of the board.
Benny Minn is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:59 PM   #2
SpoiledBrat

My Ride: 330Ci zhp
You need adjustable links if the sway bar is loaded when not cornering. So when you're connecting the bar to the links, if you have to push the bar in anyway to get it to align with the links, then you should get adjustable links. As to how important this is, I'm not sure.

Edit: Just read your post again and this probably doesn't help lol.

Last edited by SpoiledBrat; 06-28-2013 at 01:00 PM.
SpoiledBrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:13 PM   #3
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i

You can use stock links. I did on a very large bar with a lowered car and clearance is fine. The only thing that adjustable links help with is clearance.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:37 PM   #4
Benny Minn

Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
You can use stock links. I did on a very large bar with a lowered car and clearance is fine. The only thing that adjustable links help with is clearance.
I guess the real question then is, what hardware did you use (should I use) to connect the stock links to the bar? Also, when you say clearance, do you mean ground or CV joint? Thanks for your input, guys.
Old 06-28-2013, 02:57 PM   #5
peytonracer4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Minn View Post
I guess the real question then is, what hardware did you use (should I use) to connect the stock links to the bar? Also, when you say clearance, do you mean ground or CV joint? Thanks for your input, guys.
The sway bar should come with the hardware you need. With the stock bar the bar physically goes through the busing. With the new one, they should provide a bolt that will go through the bushing. This design allows for adjustment.
By clearance I mean the half axles and control arms.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:40 PM   #6
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
I used Turner H&R sways with new stock rear links and followed the included instructions.
All is well for the last 10K miles.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:15 PM   #7
Benny Minn

Guys, I think you're missing my new conundrum.
I bought the H&R bar used. It didn't come with any hardware or instructions. That's why I'm on here asking what the hardware is. I will have to assemble my own bolt/washer/locking-nut combo. If someone can tell me what size bolt at the very least, that would be a huge help.

Last edited by Benny Minn; 06-28-2013 at 10:18 PM.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:29 PM   #8
Stinger9

Hardware is specially made for this install and HD at that.
I'd try to give Turner a call and see if they could hook you up with the kit that comes with the bars they sell.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:32 PM   #9
bimmernate

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
Quote:
Guys, I think you're missing my new conundrum.
I bought the H&R bar used. It didn't come with any hardware or instructions. That's why I'm on here asking what the hardware is. I will have to assemble my own bolt/washer/locking-nut combo. If someone can tell me what size bolt at the very least, that would be a huge help.
I can't do that, but I can show you a pic of my rear TMS bar installed (H&R) for funzies (it's not completely tightened up yet). You can use your existing end links, but they are a pain in the .... to get off the original sway bar which is why a lot of people just buy new ones to make it easier. I don't know the size of the bolt....does the existing one fit?

*EDIT* also, when you use stock links, load the suspension before you tighten the bar...which is why I had ramps in the picture too. I jacked the car up, removed the jack stands, and loaded the suspension on the ramps to tighten the bolts completely.

2003 330i ZHP 6MT
Performance: Koni Sport Struts/Shocks, Eibach Pro-Kit, 17x9 Apex ARC-8, TMS Sway bars, M3 Strut Brace

Aesthetics/Functionality: TSX Projector retrofit, 20% Tint, OEM Aux Input, Clear corners, LED taillights, M3 Steering wheel, Black kidney grills

Last edited by bimmernate; 06-28-2013 at 10:38 PM.
bimmernate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:01 PM   #10
Benny Minn

Thanks for the pic, bimmernate.....and for the tip about tightening under load. The heads on those bolts look really big considering the size of the actual bolt, so maybe it is custom. I'll call Turner on Monday, but I'm thinking if that doesn'work, I'll have to stop by the hardware store for some high grade stainless steel M10 bolts (assuming it's metric) since that looks to be the biggest bolt that will fit through the sway bar holes. Unless H&R's kit came with a metal sleeve to go between the bolt and the link bushing, I think it should be pretty straightforward to piece together a substitute for experimentation. Self-locking nuts seem like an obvious ingredient.

Thanks for the quick responses.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:09 PM   #11
Stinger9

Quote:
I think it should be pretty straightforward to piece together a substitute for experimentation.
I don't think so. There is no sleeve. The bolts are custom for the job with a long smooth shaft of just the correct dimension to fit into the oem rubber bushing of the link. Then the required threads. And you are correct, these are high grade due to the really high stess on them.
Wonder if you could get the correct one here: http://www.mcmaster.com/#hex-head-sh...screws/=nebvz2

Best if Turner has them for you separately.

And by the way the handling is amazing with the two bars.

Last edited by Stinger9; 06-28-2013 at 11:14 PM.
Old 06-29-2013, 12:54 AM   #12
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
I would use the turner mounts, because there is no sense upgrading the sway bar, without upgrading its interface with the car.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:01 PM   #13
Benny Minn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJLavelle View Post
I would use the turner mounts, because there is no sense upgrading the sway bar, without upgrading its interface with the car.
Not sure I follow your reasoning. It's not like the stock links are interfering with the performance of the bar. The height of the links doesn't need to change, so buying adjustable links would be a waste. Also,the bar normally comes with hardware that works with stock links, so it would seem to me that this interface between car and bar would be perfectly acceptable.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:05 PM   #14
Benny Minn

UPDATE: Called turner 3 times and another distributer as well. Everyone said they'd check and get back to me, but no one ever did....which is pretty disappointing given that my request was fairly simple. I also called H&R directly who said that there is a hardware kit for what I was attempting to do, but that I had to get it through one of their distributers. So, yeah, I'm just going to get my own stuff from the hardware store or McMaster Carr and see if that works.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:10 PM   #15
peytonracer4

Do you need sizes for anything? I can try to help by getting under there and getting the fastener sizes for you since no sponsors can help you. I can also try to take pics.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:29 PM   #16
Benny Minn

Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
Do you need sizes for anything? I can try to help by getting under there and getting the fastener sizes for you since no sponsors can help you. I can also try to take pics.
Man, that would be a huge help. I'm pretty sure it's an M10, but if you can verify that and measure the length of the bolt, or tell me about the washers I'd be eternally grateful. A picture of the end of the bolt would tell me what grade I need.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:30 PM   #17
peytonracer4

I'll do my best. Might not get all measurements until tomorrow. My car is kinda low and I'm not raising it up until tomorrow
Old 07-18-2013, 06:44 PM   #18
peytonracer4

Yeah this is the best pic I can get at the moment. Doesn't really help at all. I'll get the measurements for you tomorrow when I swap out my wheels.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:44 PM   #19
peytonracer4

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1374191060.810681.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	517175
Old 07-22-2013, 05:51 PM   #20
Benny Minn

peytonracer4, did you get any sway bar hardware measurements this weekend?