E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-29-2013, 12:14 AM   #61
Driver08

My Ride: '88 325is, '04 ZHP
I also used the 3M kit and while $30 may be a bit much for what's there it's a good kit and worked very well for me.
Driver08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 12:54 AM   #62
philliplong

My Ride: 2002 325CI
Re: Cloudy Headlights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver08 View Post
I also used the 3M kit and while $30 may be a bit much for what's there it's a good kit and worked very well for me.
Best product, I have tried others and this was the only one that would work.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-29-2013, 01:02 AM   #63
bimmernate

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
Just get new lenses. I wet sanded mine and it was a lot of work, the results were good, but it was definitely just a temporary fix.I later Bought lenses from khoalty for around $140...worth every penny.

2003 330i ZHP 6MT
Performance: Koni Sport Struts/Shocks, Eibach Pro-Kit, 17x9 Apex ARC-8, TMS Sway bars, M3 Strut Brace

Aesthetics/Functionality: TSX Projector retrofit, 20% Tint, OEM Aux Input, Clear corners, LED taillights, M3 Steering wheel, Black kidney grills
bimmernate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:04 AM   #64
Sedan Hussein

My Ride: e46
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmernate View Post
Just get new lenses. I wet sanded mine and it was a lot of work, the results were good, but it was definitely just a temporary fix.I later Bought lenses from khoalty for around $140...worth every penny.
Did you get the Bosch replacements? I just ordered some for $72, they're sold in pairs I think. Did you buy 2?

http://www.khoalty.com/headlight-lens-replacement.html

Sedan Hussein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:33 AM   #65
Uncle Scotty

My Ride: 2004 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmernate View Post
Yeah....like Sedan Hussein, I'M curious to hear what it was you bought from Khoalty, mainly because the descriptive copy on their website (http://www.khoalty.com/headlight-lens-replacement.html) is VERY confusing...approaching DECEPTIVE....in the way they double-talk about Bosch.

In one spot they talk about how EXPENSIVE Bosch lenses are....in a nearby sentence they say THEIRS ARE made by Bosch. (They actually have a Bosch logo on the page). I challenged them on it.....i.e. "Who actually makes YOUR lenses"......and I got equally sketchy explanations back from them by email.

Here's the actual email explanation...see if YOU can make any sense of it:

"02-05 Sedan are not Bosch, as the red texted paragraph explains. If you have an 02-05 sedan you won't find the lenses we sell anywhere else as nobody bothers to carry them as it's a pretty private offer. All the other are Bosch".

Based on that, if you bought a set of lenses for your '03, Bimmernate, it sounds like they're saying they're NOT Bosch.

Can anyone else shed some light on this?

Edit: Just a final thought, Bimmernate: maybe when YOU bought YOURS from them they WERE selling Bosch brand...but have since switched suppliers. (This would explain why you appear to have paid TWICE as much as they charge for a pair of their "sedan-version, NON-Bosch" current inventory. You say you paid about $140....THEY say they sell a pair for $72)

Last edited by Uncle Scotty; 06-29-2013 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Trying to find a reasonable explanation myself!
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:47 AM   #66
Uncle Scotty

How difficult is it to install lens replacements???

To all of you who DID make the decision to "replace" instead of "refurbish".....

1. Did you do the remove-and-replace yourself?

2. Approximately how long did it take you to do them?

3. Do you have any words of wisdom/warning for those of us now contemplating the job?

Thanks for any "insider" information.

Michael
Old 06-29-2013, 09:49 AM   #67
budman
-not a mod-

My Ride: is your mom
Send a message via AIM to budman Send a message via Yahoo to budman

Scrub with toothpaste and a toothbrush..
Old 06-29-2013, 09:55 AM   #68
Uncle Scotty

Quote:
Originally Posted by budman View Post
Scrub with toothpaste and a toothbrush..
I appreciate that you're trying to save us some bucks.....but by the same token, I have to assume that the Mother's, Maguires and everybody else with their $30 kits including extremely fine wet sandpaper, polishing compounds, foam polishing pads, etc, etc, etc, would do a job superior to toothpaste.

So, tell us, budman: did you ever successfully use toothpaste on your own car's lenses......and return them from the abyss of fog and cloud.....to crystal clear, near new condition?? Huh? Did ya?

And do you have before and after pics?

Enquiring minds NEED to know.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:57 AM   #69
ti317

My Ride: 02 330ci coupe 5 spd
A quick and dirty fix, not a full restore is to use toothpaste and polish the lenses. Apply a small amount to a terry cloth and rub into lenses. Rinse and polish with plastic polish like McGuiars.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:00 AM   #70
ti317

My Ride: 02 330ci coupe 5 spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Scotty View Post
I appreciate that you're trying to save us some bucks.....but by the same token, I have to assume that the Mother's, Maguires and everybody else with their $30 kits including extremely fine wet sandpaper, polishing compounds, foam polishing pads, etc, etc, etc, would do a job superior to toothpaste.

So, tell us, budman: did you ever successfully use toothpaste on your own car's lenses......and return them from the abyss of fog and cloud.....to crystal clear, near new condition?? Huh? Did ya?

Once the UV damage has reached into the plastic, there is nothing that will work 100% other than lens replacement. The toothpaste deal is much quicker and certainly improves appearance, especially for light (pardon the pun) hazing.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:11 AM   #71
Uncle Scotty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti317 View Post
Once the UV damage has reached into the plastic, there is nothing that will work 100% other than lens replacement. The toothpaste deal is much quicker and certainly improves appearance, especially for light (pardon the pun) hazing.
Yes......that was exactly my experience, even with the expensive Mother's "solution".

The harder I sanded and polished.....the deeper in I could see the damage actually resided. It's as though the plastic is almost "crystallized" all the way through, from outside to inside. Almost as though it had been HIT and resulted in a million small, internal fractures.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:18 AM   #72
budman
-not a mod-

Quote:

Not on my BMW as i havent had the need they are still like new even after 8 years...

i did it on the lights for my car at work and it worked just fine as a quick cheap fix.. may not be perfect but it beat paying. As others said in order to get them back perfect just buy some news ones.
Old 06-29-2013, 12:41 PM   #73
Uncle Scotty

Quote:
Originally Posted by budman View Post
Not on my BMW as i havent had the need they are still like new even after 8 years...

i did it on the lights for my car at work and it worked just fine as a quick cheap fix.. may not be perfect but it beat paying. As others said in order to get them back perfect just buy some news ones.
I hate to tell you......but, you'll notice mine's an '04.....just a bit older than yours..........and, now that you mention it, they (the lenses) DID seem to go down hill somewhat quickly over the past year and a half.........so, mark this thread as a "favourite"! :-)
Old 06-29-2013, 12:56 PM   #74
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
I hate to tell you......but, you'll notice mine's an '04.....just a bit older than yours..........
Same vintage as yours. I put on the lamin-x protectors when the car was new, and the protector and lense still look like they did back on '04

Last edited by Stinger9; 06-29-2013 at 12:56 PM.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:28 PM   #75
budman
-not a mod-

Quote:
I hate to tell you......but, you'll notice mine's an '04.....just a bit older than yours..........and, now that you mention it, they (the lenses) DID seem to go down hill somewhat quickly over the past year and a half.........so, mark this thread as a "favourite"! :-)
I have an 04 and an 05.. parking in the garage has probably helped prolong the life of mine though.. no extreme exposure to the sun
Old 06-29-2013, 01:46 PM   #76
Uncle Scotty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
Same vintage as yours. I put on the lamin-x protectors when the car was new, and the protector and lense still look like they did back on '04
EXCELLENT!

That's what I was thinking I'd do when I buy my new ones next week.

Did you apply the LaminX yourself? Is it difficult? Can you buy it in small quantities? (just enough for two headlights?)
Old 06-29-2013, 02:54 PM   #77
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:

Did you apply the LaminX yourself? Is it difficult? Can you buy it in small quantities? (just enough for two headlights?)
Difficult? Depends on your skill level of course. I consider myself an advanced DIY'er. Did my own clear bra and window tint. Of the three the Lamin-x was by far the easiest.

Comes precut, so the hard part is done for you.

http://www.lamin-x.com/BMW-E46-Sedan...ers-p/b011.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...XatseNGc#at=38

Last edited by Stinger9; 06-29-2013 at 03:05 PM.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote