E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-29-2013, 10:07 AM   #1
BeMyWhip

My Ride: 01 BMW 330ci
Cool Carbon Brakes from Bavauto review...

So friday I completed my I installation of my Cool Carbon Performance brake pads
for both the front and rear. I also replaced the brake fluid with new Ate high performance
DOT 4 which has a higher boiling point and was blue in color. The color makes it very easy to see when you bled the new fluid through.
As a bonus, I figured I respray my calipers since the color got old and dingy.
and... since the car was up in the air on four jack stands, I did an oil change as well.
The pads have a specific break in which is included. they were on sale for $205 instead of $240. You also get a free tee shirt. Bleeding the brakes was so easy. Just watch some youtube clips to get a visual on how its done.
Another major bonus for me, I got rid of that annoying rattle I had in the rear of my car. One brake pad had a broken clip, and the other had that metal skin on the rear pad total loose.
Conclusion: im happy! Didnt get to drive the car around alot after the break in due to rain, but I did do a few very hard stops and it does brake hard and straight!

Last edited by BeMyWhip; 07-09-2013 at 11:54 PM.
BeMyWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:32 AM   #2
kejobe

My Ride: 2003 325I
Keep updated when you get some miles on them please.

kejobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 04:08 PM   #3
Brinkley

My Ride: 99 328i, 07 z4 3.0
I've had these on my car before, They are pretty good from what I recall.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:20 PM   #4
kejobe

My Ride: 2003 325I
Update? How have they been?

kejobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:51 AM   #5
cmlf1

My Ride: 2002 330ci
I have Cool Carbon on my 2002 330ci for about a year and a half and 15,000 miles. I had issues with buildup of material on the rotors and had to "clean" them up until a few months ago quite often with hard stops from 70-80 MPH and then the steering wheel shimmy under light braking (feels like warped rotors) would disappear for a while. I now have a moment delay when braking in the wet and am going to replace them with Hawk street pads or oem/Pagid pads. I have no experience with the Hawk pads, so any input would be appreciated. The delay in braking when wet is horrible and I am going to change them soon.
cmlf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:54 PM   #6
Rob43
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2003 BMW 331Ci, 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmlf1 View Post
I have Cool Carbon on my 2002 330ci for about a year and a half and 15,000 miles. I had issues with buildup of material on the rotors and had to "clean" them up until a few months ago quite often with hard stops from 70-80 MPH and then the steering wheel shimmy under light braking (feels like warped rotors) would disappear for a while. I now have a moment delay when braking in the wet and am going to replace them with Hawk street pads or oem/Pagid pads. I have no experience with the Hawk pads, so any input would be appreciated. The delay in braking when wet is horrible and I am going to change them soon.
I love my Hawks in a Full race compound pad, but; For the street I only run Performance Friction Z-Rated Pads. This really is the best street pad (For Hard Driving) I've had the pleasure of using.

Good luck.

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics http://www.vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind" M54 CAMS 264/252 $849
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Rob43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:12 PM   #7
BeMyWhip

My Ride: 01 BMW 330ci
So I now had my cool carbon for about 9 months, and the fronts are squealing.
9 months?! Really?
I did like the braking performance, but I think they wore out prematurely.
Won't buy them again.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:18 PM   #8
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeMyWhip View Post
So I now had my cool carbon for about 9 months, and the fronts are squealing.
9 months?! Really?
I did like the braking performance, but I think they wore out prematurely.
Won't buy them again.
"squealing" doesn't mean they are worn out. you have to visually inspect as it might be as simple as the ant-rattle clips, the pads needing some "brake disc quiet" on the backing, re-used old rotors thus following the old grooves & edges or even the calipers having paint on the runners so the pad "ears" shimmy.

then again you have one of those Automatic/slushboxes so depending on driving style you might have worn them out...

it's not determined by "time" but "use".