E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-29-2013, 12:06 PM   #1
m4x

My Ride: e46 -03
Angel eyes e46 (Wiring questions)

Hi there

I bought new angel eyes from ebay and an a installation guide was supposed to come with the kit but there was none included.

My wiring differs from the DIY guides I've read here and through google and hope you can help me explain what the blue cable and the cable are and where they should be connected? See picture below:

m4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-29-2013, 12:38 PM   #2
Shaun1970

My Ride: 318i SE 2000
Send a message via MSN to Shaun1970
Hi mate if I am right as I have a similar loom on mine the yellow and blue wires are trigger wires, Mine are white and yellow, however the yellow trigger wire is for if you want Angels on when car unlocked i.e. fob action this threads through firewall into cab and connected to footwell light. The blue as it is after the relay / fuse part near Live / Ground is for one of two functions

1. You can wire to sidelights if you wish angels them come on when sidelights turned on, or
2. You can find your accessory cable in the relay / ecu box by removing the three torx screws and connect it to that, this then allows angels on when ignition turned on!

The red and black ones connect to your angels this is the positive and ground wires. Hope that helps you
Old 06-29-2013, 12:46 PM   #3
Shaun1970

Red & black being the ones with ????????? on
Old 06-29-2013, 01:37 PM   #4
Nickvjr

My Ride: 2004 330Ci Conv.

Those sets of red & black connector ends (with the ???????) go to your AEs. They are NOT power or ground wires. The red & black wires closer to the relay are the only power & ground connections!

On the shorter side (closest to the power, relay & ground) is the yellow wire which you run through a firewall grommet & connect to the passenger side footwell light. That way your AEs turn on when you look & unlock your ride.

On the longer side is the blue wire which taps into the red-yellow wired off the DME connector (refer to DIY post) so the AEs turn on when ever the ignition is on / engine running.

Good luck!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1372531053.276397.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	187.9 KB
ID:	513617

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by Nickvjr; 06-29-2013 at 01:40 PM.
Nickvjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 03:34 PM   #5
m4x

Many thanks guys! Have just installed everything now, just have a problem with the blue cable. I followed this guide-->

and they are writing about connecting the blue cable with a red/white cable with yellow dots. Problem is that I'm not able to locate such cable..? Could it be different colour? See picture below

About the footwell light. My modell is very basic equipt and do not have such light. The hole where the light should be installed is covered with removable plastic. Is there a another way to connect that cable to get this lock/unlock effect?

Last edited by m4x; 06-29-2013 at 03:34 PM.
Old 06-29-2013, 03:45 PM   #6
Shaun1970

Test the thick green one (next to the brown) I only have a 318 however my accessory cable was the green one, I am not saying yours is but to test this (if you have one) is a electric screwdriver with ground clip, ground to car and fix prong of screwdriver in to the green connector, now if that is perm live it will light up, if not obv no light, then turn ignition to position 2 (it should light up) if it does start car and it should still be live. Then turn off should go off! I hope this makes sense
Old 06-29-2013, 03:48 PM   #7
Shaun1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4x View Post
Many thanks guys! About the footwell light. My modell is very basic equipt and do not have such light. The hole where the light should be installed is covered with removable plastic. Is there a another way to connect that cable to get this lock/unlock effect?
You can run through firewall and extend cable and run up your A Pillar across to your Main courtesy light. Bell wire will do it its 24v wire, I done it recently on my sons car to create foot well lights in his, but its same principle.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:28 PM   #8
m4x

Will try to connect the blue with the green cable tomorrow! Thanks.

Isn't there a cable that I can connect the yellow with behind the glove box? I mean, route the cable all the way up to the dome light means a lot of extra job. How is the dome light cable routed btw?
Old 06-29-2013, 05:50 PM   #9
Shaun1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4x View Post
Will try to connect the blue with the green cable tomorrow! Thanks.

Isn't there a cable that I can connect the yellow with behind the glove box? I mean, route the cable all the way up to the dome light means a lot of extra job. How is the dome light cable routed btw?
Better to test the green wire before attaching blue trigger, it may be different on yours, as mine is green and I see you have a green in same place I am assuming its the same but test with out cutting or splicing, maybe touching the spade terminal to the green terminal some how will do the trick then if AE's off on key 1, then on in key position 2 and on when engine started and off again when keys removed then its the right cable

I have never had to touch the dome light tbh so not sure where routed, however takes 5 mins to route up the A Pillar! You can try the glove box but however I have a feeling the glove box light is on when sidelights are on and not perm, mine is that way anyway can't obv speak for yours mate.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:32 AM   #10
Nickvjr

My Ride: 2004 330Ci Conv.

Check behind the glovebox for the wiring/connector the would power up the footwell light. Believe BMW has most of the wiring already there even if it doesn't install the foot well lights.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-02-2013, 12:35 PM   #11
RainOfTears

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun1970 View Post
Hi mate if I am right as I have a similar loom on mine the yellow and blue wires are trigger wires, Mine are white and yellow, however the yellow trigger wire is for if you want Angels on when car unlocked i.e. fob action this threads through firewall into cab and connected to footwell light. The blue as it is after the relay / fuse part near Live / Ground is for one of two functions

1. You can wire to sidelights if you wish angels them come on when sidelights turned on, or
2. You can find your accessory cable in the relay / ecu box by removing the three torx screws and connect it to that, this then allows angels on when ignition turned on!

The red and black ones connect to your angels this is the positive and ground wires. Hope that helps you
Quick question on your OPTION #1....

Is it okay if i connect my angel eyes (i have a 323i 2000) - hologen lights... straight to the corner lights?

Will the angel eyes blink if the side marker is blinking with them or will they stay on as long as i have them on ?
Or do i have to go out and buy something like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/190811648974...84.m1423.l2649

Any help would be much appreciated ?!_nr_
RainOfTears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:36 PM   #12
RainOfTears

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun1970 View Post

Quick question on your OPTION #1....

Is it okay if i connect my angel eyes (i have a 323i 2000) - hologen lights... straight to the corner lights?

Will the angel eyes blink if the side marker is blinking with them or will they stay on as long as i have them on ?
Or do i have to go out and buy something like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/190811648974...84.m1423.l2649

Any help would be much appreciated ?!_nr_
RainOfTears is offline   Reply With Quote