E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-28-2013, 01:57 AM   #61
sea6speed

My Ride: 2011 135i 6MT
Salvaged M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaimFrame View Post
I owned a salvage chevy with accident damage, and I never had any serious issues with them, the only problem was to find someone who'd buy a car when you want to resell it, as many people don't want to deal with salvage cars. But I wouldn't buy a salvage vehicle if it wasn't saving me at least 70% off the retail value of the car.
How did it hold up in an accident? Any frame issues?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-28-2013, 09:35 PM   #62
connville

My Ride: Honda S2000
Thanks Guys! I really appreciate it. I decided to not get the salvaged car and bought a clean one just last weekend and love it. 03.5 Mystic Blue with 67k on it.
connville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:35 PM   #63
ik47

My Ride: bmw m3 e46
Lol you guys are funny . I never had any problem with salvage cars . And I had them all my life . Just need to know what to look for on a salvaged car . As they claim total loss . Is because insurance took the car that's all.i had a car it was new from dealer and I got in to accident in it almost 12 grand of repair cost .the car new is 18k . So anyway insurance Decided to fix it. So guess what . It's Just showed minor accident on carfax .so it's bunch of dealer bs about salvaged cars . Currently I drive 04 m3 with 56k on it . It has salvage title .it cost me 14k . The damage was Laughable. Cost Me less than 1.5 grand to fix it . Super nice car .with out any problems .
ik47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:44 PM   #64
awesomechinz

My Ride: 1999 BMW 323i sedan
Salvaged M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ik47 View Post
Lol you guys are funny . I never had any problem with salvage cars . And I had them all my life . Just need to know what to look for on a salvaged car . As they claim total loss . Is because insurance took the car that's all.i had a car it was new from dealer and I got in to accident in it almost 12 grand of repair cost .the car new is 18k . So anyway insurance Decided to fix it. So guess what . It's Just showed minor accident on carfax .so it's bunch of dealer bs about salvaged cars . Currently I drive 04 m3 with 56k on it . It has salvage title .it cost me 14k . The damage was Laughable. Cost Me less than 1.5 grand to fix it . Super nice car .with out any problems .
Seems like you are lucky.. In my area, the salvage car dealers aren't too good. Easy to spot the improper repairs on the salvage. And there are always more problems than just that. Example: this 06 Mazda 6 looked pretty nice, but had both drivers side doors changed. On top of that, the strut towers mounting points were covered in rust

brown magic
awesomechinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:48 PM   #65
ik47

Well ye I deal with those cars alot so I have Quite a bit of experience.and you right some of them bastads don't know how to properly fix a car. So in the end car looks like **** because it wasn't fixed properly .
Old 06-28-2013, 10:51 PM   #66
awesomechinz

My Ride: 1999 BMW 323i sedan
Salvaged M3

Quote:
Well ye I deal with those cars alot so I have Quite a bit of experience.and you right some of them bastads don't know how to properly fix a car. So in the end car looks like **** because it wasn't fixed properly .
In one year I may be in the car market once again.... If that happens maybe you could assist me in possible salvage cars. Or at least what to look at carefully. It seems as though the salvage cars were neglected to start with by the PO.

brown magic
awesomechinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:53 PM   #67
ik47

No problem I would love to help my fellow fanatics .
Old 06-29-2013, 08:45 AM   #68
helmutm3

My Ride: 04 m3
Quote:

Well , thats because you got the car like that so you knew exactly what was damaged and then fixed it yourself. Its a different story when you buy a car that was already rebuilt. Especially when talking about Bmw, Audi or Mercedes. People around here are crazy about buying crashed bmw's from auctions to save money. And then they bitch about how german cars are unreliable and expensive to fix. When the reality is that some Joe Shmoe welded two cars together in his shop after hours , maybe ran out of bolts so he made a run to Home Depot to save some cash on hardware and then they wonder why the car rattles and has problems all the time.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:15 AM   #69
DSilk56

My Ride: M-3 Convertible
Also remember that salvage cars aren't always accident cars. Many of them are flood-damaged cars, and the long-term effects of flood damage on metals and electronics is guesswork, at best. I wouldn't touch one.

Last edited by DSilk56; 07-01-2013 at 08:16 AM.
DSilk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:18 PM   #70
Avetiso

My Ride: 2003 ZHP 6MT
I have owned two salvage title cars, both of which I had fixed myself. I've had no problems with any of them related to the repairs. Coming from Sacramento, the land of Russians, I will tell you, 80% of the cars Russians drive here are salvage as well, and they have no issues. Not trying to cap on anyone on this thread, but most people here only know what they have heard, not what they have experienced, and they just regurgitate what others have told them. I worked at a salvage broker/dealer for seven months and have fixed cars myself, have had friends who fixed them, etc. I've literally seen thousands of salvages.

As far as the car, it has had frame damage to the wing, for sure. It didn't reach the strut tower by the looks of it (in the pic, you can see the tan line of the actual wing is still straight, even though the fender is mangled. It looks like just the tip of the wing where the rad support attaches looks bent, and the metal fender shield might be a little mangled.

Get a PPI done if it makes you comfortable. If it checks out, I wouldn't worry. But, make sure it can pass alignment, first.
Avetiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:36 PM   #71
StaimFrame

My Ride: BMW M56
Quote:
Originally Posted by sea6speed View Post
How did it hold up in an accident? Any frame issues?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
It had minor front end damage. I wouldn't touch one with major damage though, or flooded one (fresh water flooding is not too bad but salt water flood is worse)

Last edited by StaimFrame; 07-08-2013 at 02:37 PM.
StaimFrame is offline   Reply With Quote