E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > New England

New England
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
MA ME NH RI VT

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-26-2013, 10:17 AM   #1
trizzuth

My Ride: gobbles oil like a B
Drop it like it's HOTTT

I couldn't take the pressure anymore. The constant pressure from being on this forum for 8 years invaded my veins and I finally did it.

My rust bucket is now dropped! I bought a set of Hotckis springs from a forum members last year sometime, with the intent of putting them into my car and removing my ZHP springs so I could use them in my wife's car as hers are beat. Well I finally got around to it and went at it last Friday. I really wouldn't want to go any lower than this, as it is, it makes the 135's look gigantic, but the drop is just perfect, even front and back, ride is actually a little less jarring than the ZHP springs even though I sit a bit lower now.

Now you can all rejoice!

Before (this was when I had the ZHP springs in, but she wasn't 100% settled yet)

After with Hotchkis springs:

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:20 AM   #2
MightyY

My Ride: '05 M3, '08 A6
Needs moar lowerz!!

J/K. I like that ride height. I wouldn't go any lower either.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:27 AM   #3
trizzuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyY View Post
Needs moar lowerz!!

HA! I knew that was going to be the first comment! I am sorta worried about snow, speed bumps and curbs in parking lots, but I never go anywhere near them anyways, so I think snow may be my biggest worry. Just have to take the wagon in the snow, that's it!

Plus, if I rip my bumper off, it will be more motivation for me to get that Imola MTech II bumper out of my garage and do something with it.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:35 PM   #4
Restoring

My Ride: '99 323i
How would you compare the handling to the ZHP springs? I put these in my 323i that was riding stock and I felt the springs were a bit softer than stock. Either that, or the roll center is off enough to through it off. I feel like I need a sway bar now after dropping it on these. Not to say I'm upset, they still ride great and the car looks awesome. Then a few months later my rear struts blew, but that was slightly unrelated to the springs.

BEFORE on Stock springs and Style 44's

AFTER on Hotchkis springs and Style 44's
Restoring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:40 PM   #5
trizzuth

I haven't really pushed it around corners too hard yet, so I will have to see, but overall, in general the ride is a bit better and not as harsh as the ZHP springs. I can only assume that it may not corner as good if the springs are not as stiff, but it should be just about the same, not to mention you are lower, which also enhances cornering. Are you sure those are stock springs in your E46 before pic? Normally with all stock spring setups I have seen, there is more of a visible gap up front than in the rear, your car is sitting pretty even in the before pics.

Rear shocks blew out, why? were they Bilsteins? Or OE Sachs? How many miles on them? this all matters..
Old 06-26-2013, 01:48 PM   #6
Restoring

Quote:
Originally Posted by trizzuth View Post
I can only assume that it may not corner as good if the springs are not as stiff, but it should be just about the same, not to mention you are lower, which also enhances cornering.
vbo

That is not true. There is a law of diminishing returns you can apply to lowering your car. The suspension geometry is designed around a specific roll center, that excessively lowering you car can adversely effect the handling. I am not trying to start any ish over this, just saying.

The answer is no, I am not positive that they were stock springs. The previous owner seemed a bit aloof about the car so it is possible there were sport springs in it. The seats are not sport package and neither is the wheel, so I would sooner assume they are settled stock springs and not sport or ZHP. But who knows, I am nowhere near the old springs to be able to spit out number codes printed on them.

The struts are also what I bought the car with. The reason they ultimately blew out is because I loaded 5 people (including myself driving) into it, and stuffed the trunk full of gear. Then I drove it from Michigan to NY, a good 6-7 hours straight. It was half an inch from rubbing tire to inner fender. Even if they were brand new struts when I bought the car, it would have accrued 20k miles since then and again I doubt the previous owner replaced them and failed to mentioned it.

Last edited by Restoring; 06-26-2013 at 01:52 PM.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:18 PM   #7
trizzuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restoring View Post
vbo

That is not true. There is a law of diminishing returns you can apply to lowering your car. The suspension geometry is designed around a specific roll center, that excessively lowering you car can adversely effect the handling. I am not trying to start any ish over this, just saying.

The answer is no, I am not positive that they were stock springs. The previous owner seemed a bit aloof about the car so it is possible there were sport springs in it. The seats are not sport package and neither is the wheel, so I would sooner assume they are settled stock springs and not sport or ZHP. But who knows, I am nowhere near the old springs to be able to spit out number codes printed on them.

The struts are also what I bought the car with. The reason they ultimately blew out is because I loaded 5 people (including myself driving) into it, and stuffed the trunk full of gear. Then I drove it from Michigan to NY, a good 6-7 hours straight. It was half an inch from rubbing tire to inner fender. Even if they were brand new struts when I bought the car, it would have accrued 20k miles since then and again I doubt the previous owner replaced them and failed to mentioned it.

haha, daaaamn that **** is loooooww! I'd venture to say that any shock in an E46 is pretty much done around 100K miles, some people on this forum say 60K, so if they were the original shocks and you bought it slammed it with 5 people and luggage and then drove another 20K, that is the reason they were done.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:37 PM   #8
Restoring

Quote:
Originally Posted by trizzuth View Post
haha, daaaamn that **** is loooooww! I'd venture to say that any shock in an E46 is pretty much done around 100K miles, some people on this forum say 60K, so if they were the original shocks and you bought it slammed it with 5 people and luggage and then drove another 20K, that is the reason they were done.
Bought it at 130k, Is now at 150k. Only replaced both control arms, bushings and the springs. I only drove with the excessive weight for 6 hours...not 20k. I am not questions why these things happened.

Please post when you have a good idea of the handling when the car is pushed a little bit.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:56 PM   #9
trizzuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restoring View Post
Bought it at 130k, Is now at 150k. Only replaced both control arms, bushings and the springs. I only drove with the excessive weight for 6 hours...not 20k. I am not questions why these things happened.

Please post when you have a good idea of the handling when the car is pushed a little bit.
Will do man, I am just about to tackle my wife's 325iT wagon suspension and it hasn't been touched in 170K miles! Only thing I've done was control arms/bushings and sway bar links. Those shocks are so blown it isn't even funny!
Old 06-26-2013, 04:10 PM   #10
xuken

My Ride: 2001 325i
Very nice bro!

2001 325i Sedan
AFE CAI Stage 1 Type CX
Bavtoys P46 w/ CCFL Angel Eyes
Solar Solutions 35% Tints
Alpine Stereo IDAx100
Neff Sticker :P
xuken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:12 PM   #11
trizzuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by xuken View Post
Very nice bro!
Sup! Go get those wheels finished!
Old 06-26-2013, 04:24 PM   #12
Dino1394

My Ride: 04 330xi
Looks great dude!
Old 06-29-2013, 02:31 PM   #13
JKid

My Ride: 2005 325xi
looks very good!
Old 06-29-2013, 02:32 PM   #14
HBizzo88

My Ride: 2002 bmw 330ci
Drop it like it's HOTTT

NO moar low. Looks great!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-29-2013, 02:35 PM   #15
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Don't ever talk to me again. Return the key to the club and remove your bmw shrine from your closet.

I'm so disappoint. I don't even.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:38 PM   #16
cak323i
Modded ///Member

My Ride: ///M3 & 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyY View Post
Needs moar lowerz!!

you can go moar low....not bad though
2004 TiAg ///M l OEM CSL interior door panels l OEM CSL bootlid l Scorza CSL center console | Navigation | LCM s/w 4.5 triple blink | OEM black interior retrofit | BC Racing BR Coilovers l BMW Performance Carbon Fiber strut bar & Short Shift Kit l Gruppe M carbon kevlar CAI l BMW iPod Integration l Alu Tech interior Trim l Lit F10 ///M5 Shift Knob l Umnitza Orion V4 A/E's l 365AutoSports one piece cf CSL lip | BBS CH & ARC-8 wheel sets
cak323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:25 PM   #17
CJW2OO4

My Ride: LANDSHARK
Send a message via AIM to CJW2OO4
nice SUV you got there. I agree youre Explorer ride height is a little better than that H1 ride height you had earlier.

BECAUSE STANCE CRAP
CJW2OO4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:32 PM   #18
Sam 330ci

My Ride: 03 530i
Send a message via AIM to Sam 330ci
Old 07-01-2013, 11:54 AM   #19
trizzuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Don't ever talk to me again. Return the key to the club and remove your bmw shrine from your closet.

I'm so disappoint. I don't even.
DMAX for Comedian of the year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cak323i View Post
you can go moar low....not bad though
Can't hang with rubbing, had 4 adults in the car the other day, no rubs, I'm good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam 330ci View Post
Atta boy sammy!

CJW shut the F up with your man-loving clown shoe!