E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-29-2013, 06:17 PM   #21
Shaun1970

My Ride: 318i SE 2000
Send a message via MSN to Shaun1970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
You guys are mixing things up.

Auto leveling is ONLY on OEM headlights. Aftermarket lights don't have that feature. You also have to note that regular cheap aftermarket headlights will have crap light output compared to OEM unless you use a good projector such as FXR, TFX, TSX, etc.

Read my sticky threads, it's all there..
I am only talking in UK terms Jake, if we retrofit here projector with xenon's/hids we must also fit self levelling and washers under UK law, however as pointed out in my first post I asked if the states are the same and have to have self levelling in so many words. All cars since self levelling was introduced are all fitted with halogens anyway, but the facility is there for upgrade to xenons/hids - "If so then your car are projector headlights with halogen bulbs, and you have fitted a hid kit, which unfortunately is illegal, all hid equipped cars in the uk must have self levelling and headlight washers" That's why I apologised for hijacking forum with a question Ill shut up now anyway as I do not wish to step on toes

Good luck Mad hope you find your answers mate
Old 06-29-2013, 06:20 PM   #22
Mad_Scientist

My Ride: '04 325Ci
its my thread buddy, say what you want.
Mad_Scientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:20 PM   #23
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Scientist View Post
so fxr is junk? is that your opinion or do you have some facts to put behind that. just because its not what you would put in your car doesnt mean you have a right to criticize what someone else chooses to use. I have already seen in multiple places that the light output of the fxr exceeds oem bulb for bulb.
Let me re-word what I wrote. OEM and the projectors listed are the only lights that should be used.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:27 PM   #24
Mad_Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
Let me re-word what I wrote. OEM and the projectors listed are the only lights that should be used.

now back to the list of options for the fxr... whats the dang difference??

btw.. side not.. i have found the adaptive head lights were availble on 04 coupes. so i think i will try to find some of those and upgrade to the best bulbs available.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	light options.png
Views:	30
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	513678  

Last edited by Mad_Scientist; 06-29-2013 at 06:30 PM.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:29 PM   #25
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

Not sure but FXR with adapter is the kit but without the actual xenon kit/bulbs. 35w would be a 35 watt kit and 50w a 50 watt kit. I think the 35w is what you need.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:36 PM   #26
Mad_Scientist

if im retrofitting, would it hurt to go with the 50? just bright light right?

still this is only a back up if i cant find adaptive lights and controls
Old 06-29-2013, 06:41 PM   #27
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

Sometimes 50 watt kits create way too much heat and they discolor the bulbs. The LCM's on our cars don't like xenon kits over 35 watts because it will mess stuff up.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:42 PM   #28
Mad_Scientist

roger that..

found the control unit for adaptives. http://www.amazon.com/Adaptive-Headl.../dp/B00AEI88A2

i assume this would be like installing a security system or something where you put the control modules in and then have the dealer code it?
Old 06-29-2013, 06:43 PM   #29
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

In regards to the adaptive headlights? The aftermarket ones will not allow for any adaptive features at all. They need motors, etc built into them to physically move (as I said, only OEM headlights can do this)
Old 06-29-2013, 06:48 PM   #30
Mad_Scientist

yes i know. i would prefer to have the adaptives over the brighter after markets as i drive curvy country roads 85% of the time. i can put the phillips bulbs in as well.

but im not sure if its even possible to do the adaptives to a car that wasnt factory equipped with them. still trying to find a part number for the light housings.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:58 PM   #31
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

Look for used OEM xenon headlights and check www.realoem.com for any parts that you will have to add to your suspension for the lights to turn when you turn the car.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:07 PM   #32
Mad_Scientist

will do.

in 04 adaptive was an option. you could have bi xenon with SL or adaptive bi xenon with SL. Ill just need to make sure they have adaptive built on. I think it was standard starting 05.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:36 AM   #33
Mad_Scientist

del

Last edited by Mad_Scientist; 06-30-2013 at 01:26 AM.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:57 PM   #34
austinadrew11

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330Ci
You could also do an HID Retrofit. I got cheap housings off ebay and quality projectors and hid kit from theretofitsource.

Truly the Ultimate Driving Machine
austinadrew11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:35 AM   #35
Mad_Scientist

Re: Recommend head/tail lights

I. Don't think anything from eBay will be finding its way onto my 3, but thanks for the suggestion. I'm looking for a salvage car to steal the wiring harness and modules out of for adaptive.

Sent from my XT907 using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-01-2013, 12:46 PM   #36
umnitza

My Ride: E39M5, Sequoia
Send a message via Yahoo to umnitza
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Scientist View Post
so can you not get FXR with auto leveling?

I read your sticky, and no its not "all there" for example.. of the 10 options that umnitza has for the projector46, which am i supposed to get?
We offer all of FXR headlights with optional auto-leveling.
If your car didn't have it, you won't be able to use it, but you can always retrofit it.

If you need any assistance, we're here all week, just give us a call
Old 07-01-2013, 01:33 PM   #37
Mad_Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by umnitza View Post
We offer all of FXR headlights with optional auto-leveling.
If your car didn't have it, you won't be able to use it, but you can always retrofit it.

If you need any assistance, we're here all week, just give us a call
do you have any idea about retrofitting the adaptive headlights? that seems to be a much more involved process than retrofitting self leveling.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:53 PM   #38
umnitza

My Ride: E39M5, Sequoia
Send a message via Yahoo to umnitza
adaptive lights require the adaptive module in the headlights, adaptive programming, and all the LCM module options as well. It's very involved and most of our customers that we ask (we build a lot of E60 headlights for people that have adaptive - from 2005 onward, all Xenon E60 lights are adaptive) about their adaptive feature never notice it's operation.

It's a good idea searching for a better implementation ultimately.

If you were retrofitting your halogen lights, I'd recommend the H1 Bixenon MStyle one we have, it's largely plug and play and while not as bright or deep as the FXR, the installation is much easier.

Plus we beat any advertised and even wholesale price of our nearest retrofit competitor.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:43 PM   #39
2000beamer

My Ride: 2000 323i
Lately I've been playing around with the idea of installing angel eyes (Orion V2's) on my pre-facelift E46 sedan. My main concern is installing them. All of the lighting on my car is stock. I don't have day-time running lights, just the regular headlights. If I were to install angel eyes, how difficult would it be to make it so that they are on whenever the car is on and I will no longer have to turn the headlights on when I am driving on the highway or whatever. I want them to function as my daytime running lights. How difficult would it be to configure them to work this way?
Old 07-12-2013, 03:44 PM   #40
austinadrew11

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000beamer View Post
Lately I've been playing around with the idea of installing angel eyes (Orion V2's) on my pre-facelift E46 sedan. My main concern is installing them. All of the lighting on my car is stock. I don't have day-time running lights, just the regular headlights. If I were to install angel eyes, how difficult would it be to make it so that they are on whenever the car is on and I will no longer have to turn the headlights on when I am driving on the highway or whatever. I want them to function as my daytime running lights. How difficult would it be to configure them to work this way?
Halos are always on when the car is. It's how they are normally wired. Btw these shouldn't be used to replace your lights. They're in addition to your headlights.

Truly the Ultimate Driving Machine
austinadrew11 is offline   Reply With Quote