E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-29-2013, 04:20 PM   #1
Moosecakes

My Ride: 02' SMG M3
Battery died.. again.. I need some help guys!

Hey guys, I had this issue before and simply figured it was a dying battery, jumped the car the first time and it was fine for 2 days, went out today to start the car and go get my new rear tires mounted and nothin. Got into the car via the trunk, then had the manager at my apt complex jump me. I've searched but can't seem to find the exact same symptoms I am experiencing.. but I mean a dead battery can mean hundreds of things..

This time however, my key lost programming, no big deal, reprogrammed it and no issues. While I was having my tires mounted I had them do a load test to see what was up. 745CCA's is what my battery pulled..

I have listened for the normal issues, FSR, weird **** like that etc and nothing.. But here are a couple things about the car, my radio cuts for a couple of seconds randomly while driving.. strange, probably not the issue but I noticed it. second, I do have a USB charger plugged into my cig outlet all the time, however this did not cause any issues since I bought the car about 2 weeks or so ago.

I'm going to do a test on every fuse tomorrow when I am at my parents house since I don't have a volt meter with me.

Can anyone give me some other things to look for as well, I'm stumped..

Car is 02' SMG with 107k miles if that means anything, battery is a duralast piece of crap and looks decently new..

Help please!

Last edited by Moosecakes; 05-29-2013 at 04:21 PM.
Moosecakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:34 PM   #2
Moosecakes

Buler... Buler...
Old 05-30-2013, 10:39 AM   #3
Moosecakes

really... cool thanks guys.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:52 PM   #4
DSilk56

My Ride: M-3 Convertible
Look, either your alternator isn't properly charging your battery, your battery isn't holding a charge, or there is some unknown discharge occurring while your car is parked. The first 2 issues are easy to check. Even though it is unlikely that your USB connection is causing any significant drain, disconnect it when you turn off your car and see what, if any, effect that has.

Last edited by DSilk56; 05-30-2013 at 12:52 PM.
DSilk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:23 PM   #5
mmobmw

My Ride: E46 M3
Duralast sucks

Try a different battery. I've had a Duralast battery for the last couple of years and I've had to change it three times. They died and/or were charged with a Battery Tender and they must've overcharged, causing them to leak fluid all over the battery compartment. I think Duralast batteries suck.
mmobmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:56 PM   #6
bufu-m3

My Ride: 01 M3
I had the same problem with my car and went through 2 alternators and 4 batteries. Turns out that the ground cable from the engine block to the frame was loose. Hope that works for you.
bufu-m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:58 PM   #7
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Where I give Real World advice and don't just criticize others. People here need to RESPECT other's opinions!
My Ride: 03 325iT SportWagon
Anyone, anyone?

Engine swap, HG, tranny swap, GM & ZF tranny rebuilds, shocks, struts, brakes, WPs, Thermostats, belts, tensioners, fuel pumps, radiators, window regs, hoses, PS pump, Spark Plugs, VCGs, coils, fuel filters, CVVs, VANOS seals, rack, LCABs, Exp. Tanks, OFHGs, RCABs, OP, boots, ABS, GUIDOs, starter, A/C, DISA, Diff, SAP

Ultra Premium Grand 10 Star+ Super Duper BMW-pedic Sport Plus +++
BMWCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:07 AM   #8
Moosecakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmobmw View Post
Try a different battery. I've had a Duralast battery for the last couple of years and I've had to change it three times. They died and/or were charged with a Battery Tender and they must've overcharged, causing them to leak fluid all over the battery compartment. I think Duralast batteries suck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bufu-m3 View Post
I had the same problem with my car and went through 2 alternators and 4 batteries. Turns out that the ground cable from the engine block to the frame was loose. Hope that works for you.
Thank you guys for the help! I didn't even think of checking for grounds! I just got home from my parents 2 hours away, my dad and I pulled every fuse checking for a drain and nothing.. My alternator is new so I don't think that's an issue.

I have another brand new battery my dad had laying around. I am going to throw in tomorrow and see if that fixes it. Also what's weird is that driving home I threw 2 codes, 2nd bank secondary o2 code and P1717 SMG code. Car drives absolutely fine though, got 27.5mpg avg driving home and my car shifts just fine, doesn't do anything funky.

Idk if pulling all those fuses and having the battery disconnected for about an hour had anything to do with tripping them, perhaps the battery had lower voltage and caused faults upon startup and tripped the light once I got going.

I'm going to order 2 new SMG relays since they are so cheap and change it for peace of mind and keep a spare in the trunk.

I appreciate the constructive answer and tips! I really appreciate the help!
Old 05-31-2013, 12:59 PM   #9
mmobmw

My Ride: E46 M3
I don't know what those codes are but when I had my battery issues, I did get the yellow SMG light a couple of times. I didn't bother to check the codes and the light went off in a day. These cars are very sensitive electrically so your battery issues might be a cause of the codes. I'd see if they go away after a few days before doing more work.
mmobmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:47 PM   #10
Moosecakes

That's what I also assumed, my SMG cog flashed at me randomly driving too but then never did it again, I'm going to swap batteries but let the car sit for like 10 mins disconnected so it completely clears everything and then put the new one in. I want to get the SMG relays regardless just to have a spare in case something does happen I'm not stranded or stuck waiting on a 12$ part lol.

I had the P0340 code in my 330ci and it was caused by a battery issue as well, I replaced it and all was well so I'm assuming this will be the same thing.
Old 06-28-2013, 02:30 PM   #11
damman98

My Ride: 99 328i and 09 328i
IDK if i missed something but did you solve drain issue? I have been chasing a similar issue. Replaced alt, which was bad. Bought a new battery. All seems well unless the car sits for a couple of days, then the battery is completely dead
damman98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:11 AM   #12
Moosecakes

It just went away? I haven't had the issue since I posted this.

I'm dealing with my car loosing programming now sometimes since my audio upgrade..

Last edited by Moosecakes; 07-02-2013 at 02:12 AM.
Moosecakes is offline   Reply With Quote