E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2013, 11:23 AM   #1
Julian Moore

My Ride: 2002 M3 Vert
Low Mileage 2002 M3 Question?

So I only have 16,000 miles on my car. I know it was a little old ladies I guess. I don't drive it nearly as much as I should but I maintain it. I bring it in every year for an inspection and Castrol oil change, no matter the low milage. I ask him to go over everything. Belts, tires, brakes, shocks...EVERYTHING. I have replaced the brake fluid and antifreeze. Now my question is when I bring up Inspection 1 stuff he says I am nuts, the car is barley broken in. Thoughts?? I guess it's nice he is so honest and does not want to take my money. Yes i did a search...I guess I'm the only idiot that does not drive it enough.
Julian Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:48 AM   #2
Moosecakes

My Ride: 02' SMG M3
Holy hell!!! that's amazing 16k miles it's just a baby! It sounds like you take very good care of the car, and the only thing you really need to worry about is a valve adjustment which can be done yourself for $500 if you buy the entire kit from ECS. Or you can measure each valve and write down the adjustment and go to BMW and pickup only the needed shims, that will cut cost significantly.

That's all I would do, everything else is fine assuming you feel it's all in good working order. Inspect your vanos hub and do a valve inspection and you should be golden.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:13 PM   #3
taylor192

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian Moore View Post
Now my question is when I bring up Inspection 1 stuff he says I am nuts, the car is barley broken in. Thoughts?? I guess it's nice he is so honest and does not want to take my money.
I would listen to your mechanic. Most people are only reporting a handful of valves out of spec at 60K+ miles, and most of those aren't even out of the "dealer" spec as they use a slightly larger measurement range (ie intake valve clearance is 0.18 to 0.23, dealer will use 0.15 to 0.25). For instance my car has never had a valve out of spec, and its gone through 2 Inspection IIs.

I remember bringing in my motorcycle for its 25K valve adjustment and my mechanic laughed at me. He said come back at 50K, don't waste your money.

Be glad you found a good mechanic willing to give you practical advice instead of the usual mechanic that throws parts and money at cars.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:30 PM   #4
Julian Moore

My Ride: 2002 M3 Vert
Thanks guys, he seems to be the real deal and has been in business with his father for along time. Never heard a bad thing about him. I mentions the valves and vanos..he asked if I have ever really driven the car? lmao It's a convertable and he said the subframes were perfect. The only cosmetic work I replaced all the badges as they were faded, antenna and eagle eyes. I love the car but I read all these horror stories and big $$$ and I have done nada. I 'll just enjoy the car and trust my mechanic.
Julian Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:30 PM   #5
taylor192

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian Moore View Post
Thanks guys, he seems to be the real deal and has been in business with his father for along time. Never heard a bad thing about him. I mentions the valves and vanos..he asked if I have ever really driven the car? lmao It's a convertable and he said the subframes were perfect. The only cosmetic work I replaced all the badges as they were faded, antenna and eagle eyes. I love the car but I read all these horror stories and big $$$ and I have done nada. I 'll just enjoy the car and trust my mechanic.
Well... there is a good reason to check the valves... to check the exhaust hub tabs to ensure they are not broken. To open the top of the engine to check the exhaust hub tabs all the gaskets will need to be replaced (since your gaskets would be 10+ yo) so you might as well spend the extra to check/adjust the valves.

Depends on how much you want to spend for peace of mind. If $4-500 is worth it to check the exhaust hub tabs, then do it.

I know that goes against what I just said, thus you can go either way. Spend the extra for peace of mind, or drive knowing you're probably ok that that mileage.

Last edited by taylor192; 07-02-2013 at 01:31 PM.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote