E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2013, 07:33 PM   #21
Alan

My Ride: 2006 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupreM3 View Post
Well said, wilsel, as opposed to most of the other "responses" on this thread. Y'all are WAY too defensive. Lighten up!

Just to answer some of the wisecrack remarks. No, I'm not overweight, I actually weigh a buck fifty and am pacific islander. The dude I bought it from was the one and only owner and pampered the crap out of it, yet he still had noticeable wear on the side bolster and center armrest. The car is from sunny SD so yes, that could've contributed to the premature deterioration of the rubber moldings but again, I am comparing this to my "cheap" Nissan and Infiniti that are 5 and 15 yrs older than the M3, respectively. I'm not comparing apples to oranges here. I'm not talking about engines or transmissions, I'm talking about rubber moldings.
So apparently nobody rants about their cars on these forums? I find that hard to believe.

Bolster wear is caused by owners dragging their posterior over the bolster over and over and over again for years. If you see wear - its there for a reason. Its not a bolster problem - its an operator problem. Lots of people do it - as did former owners of your car.

If you get worked up about little stuff like that - wait until you have owned the car for a year or more.

Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:47 PM   #22
taylor192

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
Re: 2 weeks of ownership - My Initial Rants

Quote:
I am comparing this to my "cheap" Nissan and Infiniti that are 5 and 15 yrs older than the M3, respectively. I'm not comparing apples to oranges here.
Glad you appreciate you're comparing the "ultimate driving machine" to inferior vehicles.

Nissans are not known for reliability.
Infinitis are expensive Nissans with plastic ugly interiors.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-01-2013, 10:21 PM   #23
choxor

My Ride: JDM
My rubbers look good.

Your "complaints" are silly and not thread worthy.

Can't wait to see how you react when something expensive needs replacing.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:43 PM   #24
braaang

My Ride: E46 M3
lol, wouldn't worry about it.

my m3 has a temperamental sunroof, the starter's on the way out, and also have shot window rubber.

to me, its part of its charm. think of it as a more reliable, more capable alfa romeo
braaang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:24 PM   #25
SupreM3

Its called constructive criticism, guys. Don't get butt hurt over my rants. Again, I love the car. Just pointing out its shortcomings. Carry on.
SupreM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:02 PM   #26
taylor192

Quote:
Its called constructive criticism, guys. Don't get butt hurt over my rants. Again, I love the car. Just pointing out its shortcomings. Carry on.
There was nothing constructive about it. If you want a luxo-barge, go buy an Infiniti.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:00 PM   #27
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
3. Rubber window molding is crap. The exterior of the car was in pristine condition thanks to the previous owner, however, 1 glaring aspect stood out. The rubber molding on the driver's side rear quarter window was almost completed cracked and deteriorated! The passenger side is also on it way out. What gives? My 21+ yo Nissan Sentra's rubber molding looks better than the M3's, so does my wife's weathered G20? I seriously hope BMW changed their supplier cuz whoever supplied the E46 was garbage.
the quarter rear window rubber gets pressed in by the window motors from the owners holding it in too long. this pinches the rubber at that section and cracks it. it's part of the windows moving in/outward instead of the typical up down movement in the window frame. i'm noticing mine now starting to crack having done the "one touch" window mod. the motors pull them in too much before stopping.

now if you want to have a common grip it will be when the lame environmentally conscious glue they use to hold the felt trim on the door frame comes down. now that's a quality issue of adhesive.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:25 PM   #28
SunTiger

My Ride: 2006 M3 Convertible
My '06 came with Bluetooth (although not great audio with a vert) and I can open our community gate with the buttons on my rear view (won't accept my garage door, however). Rubber is all good, but left bolster on driver seat is worn (plan to get replaced) as is the armrest on the center console.

Still love my car even as I approach 90k miles.

'06 Alpine White M3 Vert
'11 Cosmic Blue MINI Countryman S
SunTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:53 PM   #29
cak323i
Modded ///Member

My Ride: ///M3 & 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
Glad you appreciate you're comparing the "ultimate driving machine" to inferior vehicles.

Nissans are not known for reliability.
Infinitis are expensive Nissans with plastic ugly interiors.

Quote:
Not a matter of butthurt buddy....you're whining about a few very minor issues compared to VANOS issues, Rod Bearing recalls, rear subframe issues....then you're comparing an M3 to nissans and infinities. The cars you reference are clearly not in the same performance class as your M3. Feel free to rant over at M3 Forum while you're at it

Sure there are some things that aren't perfect but then you're not buying a brand new ///M either. I think you need a check on reality here and look at what you really have and appreciate the car for what it is. If you're really not happy with the ///M then move on and get the infinity or nissan. I think you will be much happier there The ///M isn't for everyone....

One last thing, I find your last comment "Carry on" to be disrespectful towards all of us....if anything, you should stop wining and "carry on"... have a nice day
2004 TiAg ///M l OEM CSL interior door panels l OEM CSL bootlid l Scorza CSL center console | Navigation | LCM s/w 4.5 triple blink | OEM black interior retrofit | BC Racing BR Coilovers l BMW Performance Carbon Fiber strut bar & Short Shift Kit l Gruppe M carbon kevlar CAI l BMW iPod Integration l Alu Tech interior Trim l Lit F10 ///M5 Shift Knob l Umnitza Orion V4 A/E's l Status Gruppe one piece cf CSL lip | BBS CH & ARC-8 wheel sets

Last edited by cak323i; 07-04-2013 at 03:01 PM.
cak323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:34 PM   #30
ROOFLESS

My Ride: has a 3.2L bag now
OP, you're not a "cup is half empty" kind of guy are you?? You're more of a "this cup is 1/10th empty" arent you!?! LOL

Anyways, for the sake of thread contribution, I remember seeing a mod for homelink application where you flicker your highbeams to open/close garage doors, and another flicker pattern for the gate or security alarm ant etc...Im not sure which sponsor sells them here but Im sure a little google research will deliver your options.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:50 AM   #31
MyNewRag

My Ride: 05 ///M Convertible
2 weeks of ownership - My Initial Rants

Quote:
Is it just me? It does not sound like you are pointing out "shortcomings"...it sounds like you are complaining about something that you willingly decided to buy.
Did you not notice these "shortcomings" prior to purchase? Or did someone force you into buying this particular car?

If i find something that is not to my liking, I don't buy it. If I do, I have ZERO right to complain about it. Now, if I notice these things after the purchase...I still have no right to complain to anyone except myself...for not being thorough in "MY" inspection "PRIOR" to my purchase.

Anyway, enjoy what you can with your new ride... It is a love-hate relationship as most will tell you.

But... IT'S WORTH IT !!!!!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by MyNewRag; 07-04-2013 at 11:51 AM.
MyNewRag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:59 AM   #32
AfghanScarface

My Ride: Debadged M3
Send a message via AIM to AfghanScarface
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
If those are your greatest complaints - you are looking for nits to complain about.

Check back with us when your VANOS fails, SMG pump goes south or you find your subframe has failed..
Preach!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer4Lyfe View Post
Either pursue her and risk getting Mono, or don't pursue her,...stay home and use your Mano.

It's either Mono or Mano .... You decide
AfghanScarface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:24 PM   #33
choxor

My Ride: JDM
What I don't understand is how the OP is so baffled that homelink and bluetooth weren't standard.

It's a German luxury car brand. Be grateful having a steering wheel isn't an optional package.
Old 07-05-2013, 01:11 PM   #34
SupreM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by choxor View Post
What I don't understand is how the OP is so baffled that homelink and bluetooth weren't standard.

It's a German luxury car brand. Be grateful having a steering wheel isn't an optional package.

Hmm, now I'm confused. You just said BMW was a German luxury brand. So of course you'd expect those features to be standard! I've owned 3 Audis(German) and a few family members own Mercs, which all had at least homelink, if not bluetooth on 2003+ MYs.

Anyways, I'm done with this topic and won't express my "nit picking" anymore and just go back to enjoying my M3 since there seems to be a lot of sensitive ppl on this forum. I merely was pointing out the little things that I noticed AFTER owning the car for a couple of weeks but some of you took it as attacking the shortcomings of this car. Thanks to those few who had something constructive to say about my "ultimate driving machine" that apparently should only come standard with a steering wheel, 4 wheels, and many faults, according to the majority of the respondents!
Old 07-05-2013, 02:44 PM   #35
Firstboost

My Ride: 2006 Tiag ZCP
Quote:

Hmm, now I'm confused. You just said BMW was a German luxury brand. So of course you'd expect those features to be standard! I've owned 3 Audis(German) and a few family members own Mercs, which all had at least homelink, if not bluetooth on 2003+ MYs.

Anyways, I'm done with this topic and won't express my "nit picking" anymore and just go back to enjoying my M3 since there seems to be a lot of sensitive ppl on this forum. I merely was pointing out the little things that I noticed AFTER owning the car for a couple of weeks but some of you took it as attacking the shortcomings of this car. Thanks to those few who had something constructive to say about my "ultimate driving machine" that apparently should only come standard with a steering wheel, 4 wheels, and many faults, according to the majority of the respondents!
Honestly man, I'm not really sure why everyone jumped on your ass to begin with.. This IS a section of the forum for posting thoughts/topics/questions about the E46 M3 is it not?

The guy wanted to post his thoughts about his car, give him a break.. not everyone has to experience a $3000 fix to have an issue with this vehicle.

Enjoy your M3 OP, it will be a long road, especially when the big fixes DO come, but a long road in the ultimate driving machine
Firstboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:13 PM   #36
SupreM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstboost View Post
Honestly man, I'm not really sure why everyone jumped on your ass to begin with.. This IS a section of the forum for posting thoughts/topics/questions about the E46 M3 is it not?

The guy wanted to post his thoughts about his car, give him a break.. not everyone has to experience a $3000 fix to have an issue with this vehicle.

Enjoy your M3 OP, it will be a long road, especially when the big fixes DO come, but a long road in the ultimate driving machine
Thanks man. Finally a fellow member with some class! I appreciate the luv!

I very much enjoy being an M3 owner and don't regret buying it one bit. Those little nuances I pointed out are minor annoyances that are just that, minor annoyances, not meant to attack its shortcomings at all. And I don't feel entitled that my car is superior to a Honda or Infiniti or Nissan just because I now drive a car thats faster or has an M badge emblazoned on its trunk lid. One.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:52 PM   #37
Suseer

My Ride: Cayman S
I think you need to look at your geographical location as far as the rubber goes. I picked my M3 up about 3 years ago from California (It's a 2001) and SO many pieces were UV "burnt" or damaged, cowl was cracked, rubber pieces showing a lot of wear.

Now, I compare to the local E46's here in Winnipeg, Manitoba - Rubber and plastic pieces look fresh.

Afterwards many of people told me, when you go down to the hot states to buy a car - No you don't have to worry at all about salted roads deteriorating your car, but expect to be replacing moldings/plastics if the car is 10+ years old. Seems logical to me.

Anyway, glad you like the car! They are a lot of fun, keep preventive maintenance ongoing and you shouldn't have to many issues.
Suseer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:46 PM   #38
taylor192

Re: 2 weeks of ownership - My Initial Rants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstboost View Post
Cause he's being dumb and the post your quoted shows it. BMW options a lot of equipment unlike Mercedes and Audi, so that purists can buy a car with features they don't need or want. It's been explained several times yet he keeps going on the same stupid rant.

Old 07-08-2013, 05:35 PM   #39
karl hungus

My Ride: 2004 M3
Quote:

Dude....you are not getting it.

It was not called the ultimate driving machine for bluetooth or homelink. Those are complete detractors from the experience of driving.

Honestly, most of us hate too much tech in our cars. We want to be involved in driving, not all up in bluetooth's anus. If I wanted tech, I'd go buy a loaded nissan maxima. I hate backup cameras, bluetooth, electronic steering, homelink, HUD, or any other interfering electronic that is distracting me from the pure experience of driving my car. To be perfectly honest, the E46 has even a bit too much tech for my taste. I want a man's car that likes to be manhandled and flogged to death on the road, not a soft infiniti.

You have to understand that this is BMW's roots. I simply won't buy a new BMW because it has all that BS technology, so many of us buy these cars for the experience of driving and not convenience luxury features.

A good weekend is when I am knee deep up my M3's skirt. I feel like you should have gotten a mercedes under warranty...
Old 07-08-2013, 06:26 PM   #40
IrunBimmer

My Ride: 323i
2 weeks of ownership - My Initial Rants

Looks like you don't belong in the m3 haha.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
IrunBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote