E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-29-2013, 12:47 PM   #1
pcdriver

My Ride: 05 330cis Convertibl
Replacing Antenna

Does anybody have any idea how to replace my broken stock antenna? I bought a stubby and would like to install this myself. Thanks for the input.
pcdriver is online now   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:26 PM   #2
Jimjar

My Ride: 2006 325Ci
Turn the old antenna counterclockwise and it should unscrew at the base. You should be able to do this with bare hands.
Jimjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:34 AM   #3
aarondb4

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330CI Vert
If it is just the antenna then just grab it and twist and it should come off the base. The base is about 2 inches tall and is bolted to the car, the antenna is a separate piece and just screws into the base. I figured this out the hard way when I destroyed my base trying to get the antenna off.

If you need a new base then you have to go into the trunk, remove the lining on the left, remove the bracket that holds the hydraulics and then look up and you will see a circuit board looking thing with wires going into it. There is a nut in the middle of that board that is holding the board to the antenna base. Remove that 8mm nut and the board will come down, then pry the antenna base out and replace it. ECS tuning sells the base if you need one.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:38 PM   #4
johnrando

My Ride: '06 330 CIC ZHP
Yup, very straight forward. The stubbys look great on the verts IMHO.

ZHP, Cold Weather Pkg., Leather, Jet Black/Black/Black Cube, NAV
AA Tune, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf. Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan STEP S/W & TB, TMS Pulleys, H&R Touring Cup Kit
DICE Ipod, Parrot/Connects2 Bluetooth, StealthOne Valentine Module, Hardwired V1
BMW Perf. Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan delete
johnrando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:46 PM   #5
aarondb4

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330CI Vert
Forgot to add. Don't be afraid of the BMW stubby antenna. I haven't noticed any difference in sound quality by having the short antenna. And yes, it looks much better!
Old 07-02-2013, 09:43 AM   #6
hagsdg7

My Ride: 2004 325ci
You can also replace the base without removing the bracket and board by using a very small hex bit on a vey long extender- there's a small set screw that holds the base onto the car- the screw is barely visible but with a hand mirror and a few minutes of concentration you can take the base off that way- snapped my stock antenna off while changing to a stubby- threads were seized. Had to replace the base too. Good luck!
hagsdg7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:31 PM   #7
Bmill160

My Ride: 2001 M3 Vert
Re: Replacing Antenna

I threw a stubby on a few years ago, LOVE the look but getting sh*t reception. I was told its probably a euro adapter that came unplugged or might be missing altogether?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using BimmerApp mobile app
///M3 VERT, COLD AIR INTAKE, CF FRONT SPLITTERS, HALO PROJECTORS WITH CLEAR CORNERS, 15MMFx12MMR SPACERS, FRONT STRUT BRACE, ROGUE ENGINEERING POWER PULLEY KIT, BLACKED OUT KIDNEY / SIDE GRILLS, SILICONE INTAKE BOOT, ///M-STITCH SHIFT BOOT / HANDBRAKE BOOT, MEGAN RACE EXHAUST, ZHP SHIFT KNOB
Bmill160 is offline   Reply With Quote