E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2013, 07:44 PM   #1
Deuces88

My Ride: 99 328i
Which struts should i go with....

Looking to replace my koni oranges after a year. They are to stiff for me, i just don't like the feel at times. they are servicable, but again i would like to change them out. I have them out right now with style 44 rims.

Question is which struts do i go with? Only thing i want is ride comfort. I hear that sach struts are a direct oem replacement. They have two which are sach advantage, and sach super touring, both priced similarily. My biggest thing is before i go out and buy these is it really going to make a difference in the way i want it to? just looking for opinions.
Deuces88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:15 PM   #2
pawelgawel

My Ride: 330CI
Re: Which struts should i go with....

Lol
I'll sell you mine old suspension.. nice and brocken in

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
pawelgawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:17 PM   #3
nacho

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
What has made BMW famous are their suspensions which are very sporty yet comfortable! Stock sport or ZHP is the best in my opinion unless you are truly racing. You can pick up stock OE units from BOGE or Sachs that will last a long time, handle great and still be comfortable. That's my opinion.
nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:19 PM   #4
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Bilstein touring. Comfortable and cheap too. Or Sachs.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:06 AM   #5
Afrodeezyak

My Ride: TiAg ///M
Re: Which struts should i go with....

Thinkin about swapping out my koni fsd/ebiach combo cause its a little too soft for my taste. It rides silky smooth but was hoping for a little more firmness in the corners. Its a great kit if comfort is your goal. If your interested let me know and what your time frame is looking like.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-18-2013, 11:01 AM   #6
SK330ci

My Ride: 02 330ci w/ 3 Pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuces88 View Post
Looking to replace my koni oranges after a year. They are to stiff for me, i just don't like the feel at times. they are servicable, but again i would like to change them out. I have them out right now with style 44 rims.

Question is which struts do i go with? Only thing i want is ride comfort. I hear that sach struts are a direct oem replacement. They have two which are sach advantage, and sach super touring, both priced similarily. My biggest thing is before i go out and buy these is it really going to make a difference in the way i want it to? just looking for opinions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrodeezyak View Post
Thinkin about swapping out my koni fsd/ebiach combo cause its a little too soft for my taste. It rides silky smooth but was hoping for a little more firmness in the corners. Its a great kit if comfort is your goal. If your interested let me know and what your time frame is looking like.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using BimmerApp mobile app
^

This.

BIMMERS FOR EVER !
SK330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:27 PM   #7
Drew@Swift Motorworks
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: Scooty Puff Jr
Sachs or Bilstein Touring Class would be a good OEM replacement. http://swiftmotorworks.com/products/rear-shock-absorber
Drew@Swift Motorworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:08 PM   #8
Deuces88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew@Swift Motorworks View Post
Sachs or Bilstein Touring Class would be a good OEM replacement. http://swiftmotorworks.com/products/rear-shock-absorber
When i got the koni oranges they told me they would be a stock replacement. For a while i was fine with it, but it still seems a little bit to firm.

I was going to go sach, but i hear they go bad after a shorter time. Would going from koni orange to sach oem make that much of a difference? Billstein sound very similar to koni oranges.

Last edited by Deuces88; 06-18-2013 at 08:17 PM.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:30 AM   #9
LittleBear

My Ride: 2001 330i
Hello BMW Experts!

I have had Koni FSD shocks for ~ 5yrs now, and haven't broken them (I used to go through the other konis like M&Ms). I don't think they ride much, or any worse, and they also are a step up from stock for handling, although not in the Bili/Koni sport league.

Murf
Old 06-19-2013, 02:43 PM   #10
Drew@Swift Motorworks
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: Scooty Puff Jr
Quote:
When i got the koni oranges they told me they would be a stock replacement. For a while i was fine with it, but it still seems a little bit to firm.

I was going to go sach, but i hear they go bad after a shorter time. Would going from koni orange to sach oem make that much of a difference? Billstein sound very similar to koni oranges.
I don't have first hand experience with the Koni's, but I would say the Bilstein Touring Class would be equivalent to those. The TCs are valved about 10% firmer than stock.

I'm not sure about a short lifetime on the Sachs. They are the OEM shocks/struts, so I would think the lifetime would be equivalent to OE shocks and struts. My customer who has been running the Sachs the longest has been running them about a year and a half and has 20-30k miles on them. No complaints so far.
Drew@Swift Motorworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:43 AM   #11
Deuces88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew@Swift Motorworks View Post
I don't have first hand experience with the Koni's, but I would say the Bilstein Touring Class would be equivalent to those. The TCs are valved about 10% firmer than stock.

I'm not sure about a short lifetime on the Sachs. They are the OEM shocks/struts, so I would think the lifetime would be equivalent to OE shocks and struts. My customer who has been running the Sachs the longest has been running them about a year and a half and has 20-30k miles on them. No complaints so far.

I want to go to sach's, my rear shocks are oem as well. Had them replaced about 10k ago then went with koni oranges on the front at a seperate time. (didn't realize the fronts needed to be done until putting on the rims, made a big difference).

I just dont want to waste money, im hoping that the sach's are an upgrade from the oranges.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:49 PM   #12
Rob43
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2003 BMW 331Ci, 5spd
Quote:
.....................im hoping that the sach's are an upgrade from the oranges.

They are not.

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics http://www.vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind" M54 CAMS 264/252 $849
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:25 PM   #13
Deuces88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43 View Post
They are not.
So any suggestions on struts. I was think sach oem..... i hear koni fsd, but i only need them for the front. I can't find fsd just for the fronts.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:03 PM   #14
always-there

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330I

Quote:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1372464163.897383.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	182.7 KB
ID:	513497

Just got these for $810
They're supposed to be comfortable.

always-there is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:26 AM   #15
drumsauce

My Ride: 2000 323it
Koni FSD/Eibach Pro all day long - comfort on the straights yet tight in the corners. Highly recommended.

Last edited by drumsauce; 07-02-2013 at 01:26 AM.
drumsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:52 AM   #16
always-there

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330I

I installed the suspension and man is it comfortable. The stance is perfect and no scrape. It absorbs all the bumps and handles like no other. Im happy.

always-there is offline   Reply With Quote