E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-27-2012, 11:16 AM   #1
thecarguy

My Ride: ZHP Sedan
Federal 595 RS-R - looking for reviews

I have searched quite a bit and have found some good reviews for this tire on some of the STi and EVO forums but it's pretty thin out there. I know a big part of it is the availability of this tire.

I am wondering if anyone has personal experience with the tire. How would it be for a dual-duty tire - DD and occasional autocross?

The prices are unreal! $133 for a 255 35 18!

http://www.onlinetires.com/products/...g+90w+bsw.html
thecarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:45 PM   #2
thecarguy

Ok, personal opinions and thoughts aside...have any of you considered these tires or heard anything from anyone else? I am surprised no one has commented yet.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:58 PM   #3
thecarguy

Bueler

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Bimmer App
Old 12-29-2012, 08:05 PM   #4
Grande D

My Ride: Whiiiite BMW!
No.

In order of how much you're willing to spend (decreasing):

Michelin Pilot Super Sport->Continental DW-> Hankook V12 evo.

i spend it while i can, if i run out i'll swallow all my meds
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:45 AM   #5
Driver08

My Ride: '88 325is, '04 ZHP
A set of these came on my car. I wasn't thrilled as I have no familiarity with the brand. I'm in no way a name snob on tires but I am picky. They seem fine generally but but I don't have anything to compare them to on the E46. I'm new to the E46 but I have heard plenty of good about the Hankooks and I imagine they are pretty good on the cost/performance scale as Hankooks often are.
Driver08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:57 AM   #6
Grande D

My Ride: Whiiiite BMW!
I didn't know that you already had them. If you have them and have no complaints, keep them until they go bad. I just wouldn't put my money on them.

i spend it while i can, if i run out i'll swallow all my meds
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:28 PM   #7
Driver08

To clarify, he doesn't have them. I'm not the original poster who was asking about them. I just randomly ended up with a set of these. Anyway, I'm not sure I would have bought them but but I can say thay work just fine- especially if cost is an issue.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:33 AM   #8
thecarguy

I am a fan of Hankook but the Hankooks that compare are the RS3 NOT the V12 EVO. With that said, the RS3 are about $100 more per tire than the Federal. I am a skeptic more than not, but I have read good things about these Federals from other car forums, just not from BMW forums.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:26 AM   #9
smares21

My Ride: M3
All the performance parts in the world aren't going to mean **** if the 8"x12" contact patches on each tire are crap. Tires is the last place to cheap out, especially on a car like an m3. Can't afford the maintenance? Don't buy the car.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:24 PM   #10
Driver08

im sure that was helpful.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:29 PM   #11
thecarguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by smares21 View Post
All the performance parts in the world aren't going to mean **** if the 8"x12" contact patches on each tire are crap. Tires is the last place to cheap out, especially on a car like an m3. Can't afford the maintenance? Don't buy the car.
Yeah I am aware of this little pearl of wisdom. What it seems though is that you know nothing about these tires. Just because the cost is low does not mean they don't perform. If you search google, like I stated above, they have received very good reviews from the STi and EVO forums. I simply wanted to see if anyone on here had experience with them.

Here is one of the threads that had quite a bit of info and response...

http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-tir...l-595rs-r.html
Old 01-01-2013, 09:18 PM   #12
smares21

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecarguy View Post
Yeah I am aware of this little pearl of wisdom. What it seems though is that you know nothing about these tires. Just because the cost is low does not mean they don't perform. If you search google, like I stated above, they have received very good reviews from the STi and EVO forums. I simply wanted to see if anyone on here had experience with them.

Here is one of the threads that had quite a bit of info and response...

http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-tir...l-595rs-r.html
You are comparing apples to oranges. AWD cars use tires in a significantly different manner than RWD or FWD vehicles do.

Back in the day, the Evo guys used to swear by the General Exclaim UHP as a good, cheap DD tire. Tried it on my E24, was garbage. Soft sidewall, poor grip, etc. But, soft sidewall doesn't mean as much in AWD due to the power shift properties...

Go find reviews of your federals from a *more* comparable vehicle. Try Corvette, 03/04 Terminators, 05+ mustang, etc. Something somewhat similar in weight, power, and driveline config. Then, make a decision.

Last edited by smares21; 01-01-2013 at 09:19 PM.
smares21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:48 PM   #13
thecarguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by smares21 View Post
You are comparing apples to oranges. AWD cars use tires in a significantly different manner than RWD or FWD vehicles do.

Back in the day, the Evo guys used to swear by the General Exclaim UHP as a good, cheap DD tire. Tried it on my E24, was garbage. Soft sidewall, poor grip, etc. But, soft sidewall doesn't mean as much in AWD due to the power shift properties...

Go find reviews of your federals from a *more* comparable vehicle. Try Corvette, 03/04 Terminators, 05+ mustang, etc. Something somewhat similar in weight, power, and driveline config. Then, make a decision.
Good points and noted. I guess overall I just don't feel comfortable going with them and hoped I would be convinced otherwise. Or I should say my wallet had hoped.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:21 AM   #14
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

My Ride: '99 Techno Violet M3
They are cheap as **** but also incredibly loud. I would only consider Federal tires as dedicated autocross tires destined to be shredded. Tough to beat considering their price and availability.

1999 Techno Violet Metallic BMW M3
2005 Audi B6 S4 quattro 6MT
2004 BMW 330i
1986 BMW 535i

tock172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:26 PM   #15
Rench

My Ride: M3 VRT
I love mine - Ortega Hwy , Angel crest canyon runs to prove it ! Not the BEST . . But the best for the money
Rench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:28 PM   #16
VMRWheels
Sponsor

My Ride: 1:25 Scale Enzo
Send a message via AIM to VMRWheels Send a message via Yahoo to VMRWheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rench View Post
I love mine - Ortega Hwy , Angel crest canyon runs to prove it ! Not the BEST . . But the best for the money
Surprisingly the RS-R is a pretty solid performer for the price. One of our associates here has them on his Z and he likes them.

Facebook! | Flickr! | Blog! | Instagram!
New for 2014: V702 Multispoke | V810 Flow Form
VMRWheels is offline   Reply With Quote