E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-22-2012, 06:15 PM   #1
Chaos1187

My Ride: 01' 325i M54 BMW
Hooked up Scanner (Results)

Section One:

# ERRORS DETAILS - DTC(hex)/PARAM(hex)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DME -> A8/F1 - Thermostat mechanical defect, jammed open
E4/B1 - Oxygen sensor controller, bank 2, deviation too great, deviation rich
E3/B1 - Oxygen sensor controller, bank 1, deviation too great, deviation rich
8F/B1 - Tank leak diagnosis with DMTL, major leak
Shadow-memory:
A8/F1 - Thermostat mechanical defect, jammed open
5A/12 - Exhaust temperature before catalyst, bank 1, signal line, short circuit to negative
5C/12 - Exhaust temperature after catalyst, bank 1, signal line, short circuit to negative
5B/12 - Exhaust temperature before catalyst, bank 2, signal line, short circuit to negative
5D/12 - Exhaust temperature after catalyst, bank 2, signal line, short circuit to negative

Errors after clear:

no errorsShadow-memory:
5A/12 - Exhaust temperature before catalyst, bank 1, signal line, short circuit to negative
5C/12 - Exhaust temperature after catalyst, bank 1, signal line, short circuit to negative
5B/12 - Exhaust temperature before catalyst, bank 2, signal line, short circuit to negative
5D/12 - Exhaust temperature after catalyst, bank 2, signal line, short circuit to negative

Section Two:

IKE -> CE/E1 - Outside-temperature sensor
F5/88 - No CAN message (ASC1)

Errors after clear:

CE/41 - Outside-temperature sensor

If you could let me know whats up here guys it would be great!
Chaos1187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:37 PM   #2
jared_wiesner

My Ride: 1999 328i
Coolant temp sensor or Intake temp sensor issues throwing the computer right off it sounds like. See this all the time on Toyotas at work.
Not 100% when it comes to BMW though, just a common weak point on older Toyotas.

Check out my band - The Marked

1999 BMW 328i (Daily Driver) - m54b30 intake manifold, ebay headers, Rebirth Motorsports CAI, Rogue Engineering underive pulleys, Epic Motorsports Remote Dyno Tune, Custom 3 inch exhaust with Burns Merge, Schrick 264/248 Cams
1967 Buick Skylark - 430 Buick Big Block Swap.
jared_wiesner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:04 PM   #3
Chaos1187

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared_wiesner View Post
Coolant temp sensor or Intake temp sensor issues throwing the computer right off it sounds like. See this all the time on Toyotas at work.
Not 100% when it comes to BMW though, just a common weak point on older Toyotas.
This is what I was thinking as well when I saw it. When had the comp checked out a while back at an autozone the code came up as the coolant temp sensor I dunno which one I should go with. Thanks for the input man
Old 02-22-2012, 11:23 PM   #4
LivesNearCostco

My Ride: 2003 ZHP 6MT
Are you missing your outside air temp sensor?
Old 02-23-2012, 08:03 AM   #5
Drewfus2101

My Ride: '03 330i
So you can trim it down to these important ones:

CE/E1 - Outside-temperature sensor

I would start with fixing the thermostat. The car is telling you that it's stuck open. Replace it.

Not sure why you are running rich. Most of the time these cars have a problem, it's running lean because of vacuum leaks. The rich condition could just be because the car is running too cold. Who knows. Could be the O2 sensors. Never hurts to replace the pre-cat O2 sensors (except the pocket book).

Tank leak is most likely a old gas cap.

Does the instrument cluster show the outside temp? The car says that it isn't working. Check and see if it's plugged in or even there. This shouldn't affect how the car runs though, so unless you really care, theres no need to fix this one.
Drewfus2101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:26 AM   #6
jared_wiesner

My Ride: 1999 328i
The rich running is likely due to the temp sensor issue. It perceives the car as cold and runs it rich like they always run at start up. I see this all the time.

As far as I understood, he had cleared the codes and only the outside temp sensor code remained. This likely means everything else was past history stored and not necessarily all a problem still (could have had a loose gas cap at some point.) The stuck thermostat code could also be related to the temp sensor code as it perceives the car as running too cold for the thermosat to be functioning properly.

Check out my band - The Marked

1999 BMW 328i (Daily Driver) - m54b30 intake manifold, ebay headers, Rebirth Motorsports CAI, Rogue Engineering underive pulleys, Epic Motorsports Remote Dyno Tune, Custom 3 inch exhaust with Burns Merge, Schrick 264/248 Cams
1967 Buick Skylark - 430 Buick Big Block Swap.
jared_wiesner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:35 AM   #7
Chaos1187

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivesNearCostco View Post
Are you missing your outside air temp sensor?
I am not sure. I need to look into that, I literally just got this scanner and posted all the info up that was relevant soon as I got back inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewfus2101 View Post
So you can trim it down to these important ones:

CE/E1 - Outside-temperature sensor

I would start with fixing the thermostat. The car is telling you that it's stuck open. Replace it.

Not sure why you are running rich. Most of the time these cars have a problem, it's running lean because of vacuum leaks. The rich condition could just be because the car is running too cold. Who knows. Could be the O2 sensors. Never hurts to replace the pre-cat O2 sensors (except the pocket book).

Tank leak is most likely a old gas cap.

Does the instrument cluster show the outside temp? The car says that it isn't working. Check and see if it's plugged in or even there. This shouldn't affect how the car runs though, so unless you really care, theres no need to fix this one.
To the instrument cluster when I bought the car had been changed out, as for temp outside I have never seen a display for it at all. The only codes that remained on after I cleared memory were..

..thats as far as the engine goes. Either way I will be looking through all of the posts I get including yours and checking every detail. As it is all gold to me need this car in tip top shape!

Quote:
The rich running is likely due to the temp sensor issue. It perceives the car as cold and runs it rich like they always run at start up. I see this all the time.

As far as I understood, he had cleared the codes and only the outside temp sensor code remained. This likely means everything else was past history stored and not necessarily all a problem still (could have had a loose gas cap at some point.) The stuck thermostat code could also be related to the temp sensor code as it perceives the car as running too cold for the thermosat to be functioning properly.
Will def look into the functionality of this sensor..or lack their of haha. The engine light did stay off after this but I also only drove it around the block. It had a tendency to turn on when I would push it a little hard on the freeway.

Last edited by Chaos1187; 02-23-2012 at 09:47 AM.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:15 PM   #8
SL Blak Soldier

My Ride: 2001 3 Pedal M54b30
Send a message via AIM to SL Blak Soldier
the short circuit to the o2 sensors are because of a burnt fuse (i think)

On the drivers side in the engine bay pop off the cover to the harness box. inside there will be a fuse block closest to the fender. check the the fuses. i'm sure one of them is burnt.

i got a code for all four sensor heater wires, and it turned out to be that that fuse was blown. If it isn't that find out if there are any other fuse to be blown

Last edited by SL Blak Soldier; 02-23-2012 at 02:19 PM.
SL Blak Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:40 PM   #9
modular93fox

My Ride: 1987 R10
Quote:
this aint a toyota. coolant temp sensor or intake temp sensor... there wasnt even a fault for either. replace the map thermostat, replace your outside temp sensor and clear faults, and test drive.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:29 PM   #10
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Anybody got inputs on the shadow codes OP is having?

I got the same:

DME ->
BC/B8 - Insufficient heat output, oxygen sensor before catalyst, bank 1, sensor heater faulty

Shadow-memory:
BC/B8 - Insufficient heat output, oxygen sensor before catalyst, bank 1, sensor heater faulty
34/02 - Solenoid valve, exhaust flap, short circuit to negative or open circuit

Will check the fuses tomorrow.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:34 AM   #11
Chaos1187

Quote:
Originally Posted by trj View Post
Anybody got inputs on the shadow codes OP is having?

I got the same:

DME ->

Shadow-memory:

34/02 - Solenoid valve, exhaust flap, short circuit to negative or open circuit

Will check the fuses tomorrow.
Let me know about these man, if it fixes it. Ill be working on a friends car (brake booster) so I wont be able to get to this today. I am still checking in getting updates from everyone of course. That way when I jump right in Ill know what to check.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:06 AM   #12
BM3R 330

My Ride: 2002 330i
Bump for sam problem/codes...
I have 3 out of these 4 codes that keep reappearing

I have a small signature
BM3R 330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:34 PM   #13
michaltt

My Ride: bmw e46 325i
Old thread but bumping...have same problems.
michaltt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:47 PM   #14
Chaos1187

Re: Hooked up Scanner (Results)

Hey guys OP here to be honest things I went through were ridiculous to get her running. In the end my problem wasmajor vacuum leaks and a bad MAF. I don't even remember messing with the O2s those codes kind of just went away....I will be putting more thought into it myself just to review all that I had done.

Sent from my EVO using BimmerApp mobile app