E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2013, 11:52 AM   #1
Blueandwhite85

My Ride: E46
Shocks and struts [updated w/ pics]

So with my car at 108k miles, I'm certain that my shocks, struts and all related mounts need to be replaced. I've been looking through several of the vendor's websites but always I am left confused. Usually I can find the needed parts easily, but these parts are a bit tougher for me.

2000 323 Ci ZSP (sport) 5spd edit: now that this thread was moved I need to point out that my car is a convertible. smh

Looking for either part #s or maybe a direct link to the correct shocks/struts so I can compare the differences as to what I have found. I'd like to go with Sachs over the OE parts but I may possibly even consider Meyle.

I'd love to be able to buy from oembimmerparts.com since they are out of San Antonio and shipping would be quick.

Last edited by Blueandwhite85; 11-05-2013 at 10:04 AM.
Blueandwhite85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:44 PM   #2
comova

My Ride: Silver 325Cic
My cabrio/sport '01 needs front and back too. I started window shopping (for stock sports replacement) at Autohaus but have not bought anything yet. I'm sure I'm going stock sport since I got 130k miles from my first set. Any suggestions on good online stores/packages?

"The problem with the designated driver program, it's not a desirable job, but if you ever get sucked into doing it, have fun with it. At the end of the night, drop them off at the wrong house." -Jeff Foxworthy
comova is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:56 PM   #3
Blueandwhite85

Re: Shocks and struts... blah

The only advice I've got so far is for Blistein Tourings. Not expensive by any means. I bought front end links today but I'm going to keep digging before I pick up the shocks/struts. I want a much smoother ride without sacrificing too much rigidness or handling. Every once in a while I like to have fun with it. 90% of the time I just want a smooth ride.

Sent from my S4 using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-08-2013, 07:15 PM   #4
Rob43
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2003 BMW 331Ci, 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueandwhite85 View Post
The only advice I've got so far is for Blistein Tourings. Not expensive by any means. I bought front end links today but I'm going to keep digging before I pick up the shocks/struts. I want a much smoother ride without sacrificing too much rigidness or handling. Every once in a while I like to have fun with it. 90% of the time I just want a smooth ride.

Sent from my S4 using BimmerApp mobile app
OK, that was what I was waiting for, based on that answer....

Koni FSD with / or without Eibach Pro kit springs.

Shocks/Struts
http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/s...0&autoModClar=

With springs / Drop of 1.4" F&R
http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/s...0&autoModClar=

Good luck.

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics http://www.vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind" M54 CAMS 264/252 $849
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Rob43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:45 AM   #5
Blueandwhite85

After considering a lot of options, I decided to change it up completely. Originally I did not want to drop my car because I was considering selling it not too long after the replacement but I changed my mind.

I ended up purchasing all of my parts from ECSTuning, as usual. Parts purchased:

Koni Yellow dampening adjustable shock/strut kit. I scoured Google and could not find a bad review. A solid product with a limited lifetime warranty was a no brainer. $599.99.

H&R Race springs. $221.40.

ECS complete coilover/cupkit install kit with spring pads. $237.95.

Once the springs arrive on Monday I will update with pictures of all the parts.

Last edited by Blueandwhite85; 11-03-2013 at 08:48 AM.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:08 PM   #6
Blueandwhite85

A peak
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1383620915552.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	533415  
Old 11-04-2013, 11:27 PM   #7
bimmernate

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
I just installed koni yellows recently. They are fantastic, i'm sure you will like them too. I went with the pro kit though because i thought the race was pretty drastic for San Francisco Hills.

2003 330i ZHP 6MT
Performance: Koni Sport Struts/Shocks, Eibach Pro-Kit, 17x9 Apex ARC-8, TMS Sway bars, M3 Strut Brace

Aesthetics/Functionality: TSX Projector retrofit, 20% Tint, OEM Aux Input, Clear corners, LED taillights, M3 Steering wheel, Black kidney grills
bimmernate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:28 AM   #8
Blueandwhite85

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmernate View Post
I just installed koni yellows recently. They are fantastic, i'm sure you will like them too. I went with the pro kit though because i thought the race was pretty drastic for San Francisco Hills.
I agree with that. Tell me a few things you like/dislike about your Konis. Also what was the condition of your shocks/struts before you upgraded?
Old 11-05-2013, 09:48 AM   #9
Blueandwhite85

Pictures

Here it all is.

Everything should be installed by this month or next. Not in a big rush. Need to get spacers next. No idea what size. Currently I have the style M68 staggered wheels with 225/45/17 (square) tires.

Thank you to ECSTuning for offering their products so much less than the competitors!

Last edited by Blueandwhite85; 11-05-2013 at 10:37 AM.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:45 PM   #10
bimmernate

Quote:
I agree with that. Tell me a few things you like/dislike about your Konis. Also what was the condition of your shocks/struts before you upgraded?
The only dislike I have is that the rears can't be adjusted without removing them completely...and to remove them you need to remove the trunk liner (I don't feel like cutting holes in my trunk liner). You can spend a few hundred extra and get the adjustable rears from ground control, but that's just money I don't have. Besides, I have mine set at 1/2 turn back, full soft front, and just turn the front up to 1.5 turns if I want to have some fun or go to the track.

My car had 92k miles at the swap. My rear struts were 100% non functional with no rebound. I could push them in and they would stay down and never come up. The front struts were ok, just a bit soft.

2003 330i ZHP 6MT
Performance: Koni Sport Struts/Shocks, Eibach Pro-Kit, 17x9 Apex ARC-8, TMS Sway bars, M3 Strut Brace

Aesthetics/Functionality: TSX Projector retrofit, 20% Tint, OEM Aux Input, Clear corners, LED taillights, M3 Steering wheel, Black kidney grills

Last edited by bimmernate; 11-05-2013 at 07:46 PM.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:47 PM   #11
Blueandwhite85

Good feedback. How does the car feel on them?
Old 11-05-2013, 09:21 PM   #12
Max'd out

My Ride: 04 330cic
Bimmernate,

You might want to look into getting the Rogue Engineering rear shock mounts. You only have to go in through the trunk once to install then you can remove and replace your shocks from below. They're about $100 or less and are a good, strong mount.

I used them when I replaced my shocks last month and got them because of the good reviews only, the trunk thing is not a problem for me because I have a vert so trunk liner does not have to be removed and I don't have adjustable shocks. I went with Koni FSD.
Max'd out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:09 PM   #13
bimmernate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max'd out View Post
Bimmernate,

You might want to look into getting the Rogue Engineering rear shock mounts. You only have to go in through the trunk once to install then you can remove and replace your shocks from below. They're about $100 or less and are a good, strong mount.

I used them when I replaced my shocks last month and got them because of the good reviews only, the trunk thing is not a problem for me because I have a vert so trunk liner does not have to be removed and I don't have adjustable shocks. I went with Koni FSD.
I was thinking about doing that, but figured I still would rarely remove the shock even if it could unbolt it without taking off the trunk liner. So I bought new OEM shock mounts (which I had no problems with over the 92k miles that they were installed and after removing them I realized they were still in excellent condition) and strut reinforcements for around $40 versus $100 for the Rogue ones.

2003 330i ZHP 6MT

Last edited by bimmernate; 11-05-2013 at 11:10 PM.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:22 PM   #14
Blueandwhite85

Nate -

I dug up your thread on modding the bump stops. How much did you end up trimming??
Old 11-06-2013, 04:02 PM   #15
bimmernate

Quote:
Nate -

I dug up your thread on modding the bump stops. How much did you end up trimming??
I never got a solid answer for that. I left them alone and did not modify them. I figured I can always cut them afterwards. Although, with the minimal drop I got, I don't think they need to be cut. The car rides really nice

2003 330i ZHP 6MT

Old 11-06-2013, 04:17 PM   #16
Blueandwhite85

Quote:
I never got a solid answer for that. I left them alone and did not modify them. I figured I can always cut them afterwards. Although, with the minimal drop I got, I don't think they need to be cut. The car rides really nice
Okay. I'll probably do the same
Old 11-17-2013, 05:50 PM   #17
Blueandwhite85

I got around to installing everything last week. Stopped off the freeway to get a pic so hopefully I can get some more soon. Please post opinions!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1384732206186.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	535230  
Old 11-17-2013, 08:14 PM   #18
bimmernate

Quote:
I got around to installing everything last week. Stopped off the freeway to get a pic so hopefully I can get some more soon. Please post opinions!
I personally feel that its too low, I like the top of the tire to line up perfectly with the fender. (I'm not a fan of the tucked in look, especially on stock wheels). But as long as YOU like it that's all that matters.

2003 330i ZHP 6MT

Last edited by bimmernate; 11-17-2013 at 08:15 PM.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:06 PM   #19
Blueandwhite85

Quote:
I personally feel that its too low, I like the top of the tire to line up perfectly with the fender. (I'm not a fan of the tucked in look, especially on stock wheels). But as long as YOU like it that's all that matters.
I agree. It's definitely a work in progress. The ride is great though!

Last edited by Blueandwhite85; 11-17-2013 at 09:08 PM.