E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-25-2013, 01:31 PM   #1
Jat007

My Ride: 99' 323i
Replacing Rear Shocks and Rear Coil Springs

-Hello gang,

I finally got the front-end suspension work done this past weekend (Struts, Struts Bearing, Bump-stop, etc). Well worth the money and wait. The mechanic that I had it done quoted 2.5 hours to replace the rear shocks and springs. After he had done the fronts, he stopped and told me if I want the rear suspension done, I would have to paid for 5 hours of labor. He doesn't seem like he want to do the job... He told me to go get an estimate somewhere else or have someone else do the work.

Before I go get another estimate, what or how much should I be looking at? I saw a video on youtube from a guy in Canada and it wasn't too bad to do...

Any ideas guys?

Thank you,

Jay
Jat007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:40 PM   #2
LeMansteve

My Ride: '04 330i 6mt ZSP ZPP
I have done the rear shocks. You will have to crawl into the trunk, pull away the carpet and cut a hole in the insulation. It was kind of a pain to do cleanly, but certainly not a significant amount of time. Other than that, the rest of the shock replacement is fairly straighforward.

Can't comment on replacing the rear springs, though.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:49 PM   #3
CharlzO

My Ride: 2000 328ci
Yeah, I didn't do springs on mine, can't imagine they would add TOO much time to it. I replaced both rear shocks in about a half hour for both sides with hand tools. The carpet was more annoying than anything, but wasn't too much to deal with. I can't imagine it would take anywhere near 5 hours for the full rear, unless he didn't even look, and was just guessing based on what he did for the front. Save yourself some bucks, and diy, and treat yourself to a nice drink afterwards with your savings!
CharlzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:39 PM   #4
Red 90

My Ride: 325i
The rears are much easier to do than the fronts. My mechanic lets me use his lift and tools. So in his shop I'm able to change out both rear shocks and springs in an hour to an hour and a half. I'm sure mechanics will charge more hours for it, but 5 might be a bit too much to change the rear shocks and springs. With the rears you don't need use a spring compressor, don't have to deal with the brakes, sensor etc. Just two bolts at the top on each of the shocks, one at the bottom. The springs are just a matter of prying the suspension down a bit, pull the spring off, insert the new one.
Red 90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:12 PM   #5
aarondb4

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330CI Vert
Do it yourself. I just did all four corners in far less than 5 hours. The rear is easy peasy, don't let some mechanic rape you.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:07 PM   #6
Jat007

Thanks guys!!

I will attempt this work on the 4th.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:44 AM   #7
LeMansteve

My Ride: '04 330i 6mt ZSP ZPP
Werd to everyone that pointed out it should not take 2x as long to do the rear shocks.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:12 AM   #8
CharlzO

Just for the sake of demonstration, here's a video that shows just how simple the springs are to replace.

And as for shocks, basically, there are two nuts on each mount, on each side of the trunk. Peel the liner back, expose that, remove nuts, done. If you have the bottom bolt off (like in the video), they will likely just literally drop out of the car. If not, a tiny wiggle, and they're out. I'd recommend new mounts, and whatnot, but you put it back the same way the old ones come out. Even without ever doing it before, assuming you have the tools on hand, and a jack and stands, I'd say you can probably easily do both sides in well under 2 hours yourself. So make sure you report in after tomorrow and let us know how it went for you, and how long it took!

Last edited by CharlzO; 07-03-2013 at 10:17 AM.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:16 PM   #9
steifan

My Ride: 325i '06, 323 Ci '00
The rear shocks can be replaced without even lifting the car or even taking the wheels off..

I'd recommend a helper for the spring the spring removal though.
Raise the car (not the rear axle) until the rear axle is hanging free (remove wheels, then use body weight to compress the rear axle end on either side
while the 2nd person just yank the spring out while the axle is pushed downward.
Easy

The jack-version is probably safer..

BMW 323Ci '00, Eibach/Bilstein Pro-kit/B12
BMW 325i '06, M-Sport

Last edited by steifan; 07-03-2013 at 01:18 PM.
steifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:26 PM   #10
Jat007

That looks easy... Ok, I am going to do this tomorrow morning (4th of July) and report back.

Thanks, guys!!
Old 07-04-2013, 11:42 PM   #11
Jat007

Happy 4th!!

You guys were right, it took me last then 2 hours to do the springs and shocks. I had a lot of confident after watching the video - Thanks, CharlzO!! It's possible to replace the rear shocks without removing the wheel, but you'd if you're replacing the coil spring though...

Thanks guys!!
Old 07-06-2013, 05:17 PM   #12
CharlzO

Re: Replacing Rear Shocks and Rear Coil Springs

Glad you got it done! It's like a lot of diy's with these cars, follow the step by steps, and you'd be surprised at how much you can accomplish! I haven't had anyone else touch my car since I got it, and it's refreshing for me to get back to doing my own work. You learn your car in the best way possible when it's your own hands turning the wrench!
Old 07-06-2013, 06:51 PM   #13
littlegti

My Ride: 2002 330ci conv
Send a message via Skype™ to littlegti
Ummm...a couple of comments on the video. Use jack stands when working on your car, not a jack. Use a torque wrench when replacing the bolts. The lower shock bolt should be torqued down when the weight of the car is loaded on the wheel.
littlegti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:21 PM   #14
CharlzO

Re: Replacing Rear Shocks and Rear Coil Springs

Yeah I noticed that in a few of the videos that guy had done, he doesn't use stands. No way am I that trusting, especially those jacks he was using. I've thrown away so many of those over the years due to them losing their ability to hold weight. Can't imagine putting my faith into them the whole process, especially with my hands in where they can get squished.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:02 PM   #15
Bino5150

My Ride: 99 323i
I did both sides, rear shocks/springs in less than 20 minutes. Kinda ironic, I figured the rear was going to be the problematic part, but it really doesn't get much easier/faster than that.
Bino5150 is offline   Reply With Quote