E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 48 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-27-2013, 12:13 AM   #301
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Bentley is the one I think that makes a point of saying that the rubber should get stuck to the CA. I recall they say to let it set for an hour or longer after install before driving or danger can occur.
I thought about this when I put on my Powerflex, which does not bond to the CA's. I wonder if their advice is worth anything?
Stinger9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:45 PM   #302
lylefk

My Ride: 92 325ic, 06 X3
Did this in about an hour and a half on the new convertible, thanks for the thread!
lylefk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 04:40 PM   #303
KyleAndrew

My Ride: 2002 e46 330i
I did this job today (I used a kit with the bushings already installed in new mounts) and I have to say it was totally worth it to buy a $27 three jaw puller. I'll definitely get future use out of it and it made this install very easy indeed.
KyleAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:45 PM   #304
SubyMcFly

My Ride: You Up The Wall
Greatest DIY I've ever seen. I've always wanted to know how to do this.
SubyMcFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 04:33 PM   #305
ZHPkiddd

My Ride: 2006 white 330Ci ZHP
So Its about time once and for all the E46 gets this treatment ! http://www.akgmotorsport.com/catalog.../FCB3036lg.jpg I will have this product out soon fitted to the E46, if anyone is interested let me know I already have 6 sets going to a friend to test out at Turner but I can have as many made as needed in due time!
ZHPkiddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:42 PM   #306
franz

My Ride: 03 330i
This was SO much easier than OEM, also I got the plate tool from Bimmertools and it's also totally worth it. The hardest part of this job is now pulling the brace. I recommend preinstalled brackets. I couldn't believe how easy the Powerflex went onto the control arms compared to OEM!
Old 04-23-2014, 02:02 PM   #307
Lynchy

My Ride: 05 325i
if i buy preinstalled bushing with the brackets i can simply skip all the bushing removing an installing right? and i will need a new alignment as well right?
Lynchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 02:49 PM   #308
Stinger9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynchy View Post
if i buy preinstalled bushing with the brackets i can simply skip all the bushing removing an installing right? and i will need a new alignment as well right?
Yes, if you replace your CA's. But not if you want to reuse them; then you'll have to pull off the old bushing.
Need an alignment after you do the job.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:10 PM   #309
comova

My Ride: Silver 325Cic
Scanned most of this thread and could not find answer to this question:
How do you know when yo replace just the Bushing and when to replace then entire Control Arm?

"The problem with the designated driver program, it's not a desirable job, but if you ever get sucked into doing it, have fun with it. At the end of the night, drop them off at the wrong house." -Jeff Foxworthy
comova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:11 PM   #310
comova

How do you know when yo replace just the Bushing and when to replace then entire Control Arm?

"The problem with the designated driver program, it's not a desirable job, but if you ever get sucked into doing it, have fun with it. At the end of the night, drop them off at the wrong house." -Jeff Foxworthy
Old 05-14-2014, 08:39 PM   #311
Stinger9

Here's how to test the CAB's

And to test the CA, you're really testing for ball joints.
Need to get car up in the air and use a prybar to check for looseness. Look up any ball joint test on youtube. It's universal.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:19 AM   #312
comova

Thanks Stinger9.

Old 06-12-2014, 04:10 PM   #313
CJ74U2NV

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by comova View Post
If the control arm is not bent, you can just replace the bushings. I just did mine today. I'm not reading 11 pages to see what all has been said but a few points that I came across on my day in the garage:

-2002 325i
-I did not remove the frame stiffener. No problems either.
-On the passenger side, it was easier for me to remove the inner mounting nut from above with a socket, extensions and a u-joint.
-My pickle fork was not big enough to separate the LCA so I used two pickle forks at once on the same mount. This separated it enough to pop it out.
-When working on the drivers side, turn the wheels all the way to the right to give yourself more room to hammer the pickle forks. Visa verse for the passenger side.
-I installed the control bushing/mount and then slide the LCA into it. I was having a hard time installing the two 16mm bolts when it was all pre-assembled.
-I have a press that I used to install the Moog bushings into the LCAs. They went in with no issues. I only used silicone spray lube on them.
-The whole process took me about 6 hours and I've never pulled an LCA before. However, I've turned a lot of wrenches before including replacing ball joints in solid axles. It saved me $400 from buying new LCAs and mounts. I did not even bother getting shop estimates.
CJ74U2NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 03:51 PM   #314
APKhaos

My Ride: 99 328i
Replaced LCABs with OEM parts today on my son's 2001 330i. Could not have been easier:
- Removed the brace/skid plate
- Removed the bush carrier mounting bolts and angled the control arm and attached bush down to create some clearance
- Removed the carrier using a three jaw pulller. They come off with the bushings intact which was surprisingly easy.
- Fitted the new carriers and bushings using some lube on the control arm, a block of wood and a dead blow hammer to drive the bush onto the arm
- Locktite on all bolts, bolted up, torqued everything, DONE in around an hour and a quarter.

His 330 had failed a state inspection because of the LCABs. Shop quoted him $700 to replace them with the cheapest crappiest chinese rubbish available [$56/pair].
APKhaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 05:53 PM   #315
jw7991

My Ride: Bmw 330i e46
Is the rubber on the control arm bushings suppose to stick out?

I just replaced the lower control arm bushings and weeks later i notice the rubber sticks out, i just want to know if its normal?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo(9).jpg
Views:	23
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	572987  
jw7991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 07:08 PM   #316
Stinger9

Not typically, but we don't know what brand CAB you have there, so we don't know what's normal.
Have a pic of the bushing before you installed it?

There is not supposed to be any strain on the in and out direction.

Last edited by Stinger9; 09-11-2014 at 07:09 PM.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:01 PM   #317
jw7991

The brand I purchased was Dorman, I don't have the pic of it before I installed it. What reasons do you think could cause it to pull out like that?
Old 09-11-2014, 09:02 PM   #318
Stinger9

Not an expert on this

Maybe installed and let dry in one position and then the suspensions shifted when the wheels hit the ground.
Did you install with weak soap solution to slip them on?
Old 09-11-2014, 09:15 PM   #319
jw7991

I installed with a specialty tool for bmw e46 bushing extractor and installer, i use silicone as lubrication before installing it in, it looked good until like a month later i notice the rubber is sticking out a little. Im assuming its the brand and maybe i should of bought the more expensive oem ones. Im not sure. I don't know how long its going to last before the whole thing is cracked though.
Old 09-12-2014, 07:00 PM   #320
Stinger9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw7991 View Post
I installed with a specialty tool for bmw e46 bushing extractor and installer, i use silicone as lubrication before installing it in, it looked good until like a month later i notice the rubber is sticking out a little. Im assuming its the brand and maybe i should of bought the more expensive oem ones. Im not sure. I don't know how long its going to last before the whole thing is cracked though.

Generally good advice never to cheap out on parts. You're already saving the most expensive part of any job (Labor), so get the job done right.
Don't think Dorman is a good brand.
If you see signs of cracking, time to replace before complete fail.