E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2013, 04:22 PM   #1
jcallanan

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Drive Belts Exploded, Wiring Harness Damaged - Help!

A bit of a saga - I knew the electric cooling fan in my 2000 328Ci was not working, but the car was not running hot, so I put off replacing it (manual tranny - plug-and-play fan). Well all of a sudden, we get a 98-degree day and apparently the drive belt and the A/C belt, as well as the idler pulley, seem to have completely blown up. I guess the electric fan keeps the engine compartment cool, versus the engine itself?

Assessing the damage, the belts were torn to ribbons and the idler pulley wheel was damaged. Easily replaceable, which I did, but the car now won't start. Looking more closely, it seems a wiring harness was caught up in the carnage. The harness has wires that clip near the thermostat housing as well as the fan ans in two places on the lower front right side of the engine.

I was unable to reassemble the harness wires (lost too much wire - I need to splice in extra wire or replace the harness).

My question is: does anyone know what that harness is/does? If it's ignition-related, then I would suppose that is the reason it won't start, but it seems like such a small little set of wires to cause the car to not start (it turns over, but won't "catch.")

Any info or ideas would be appreciated. I'm having it towed off of the Hutchinson River Parkway in NY as we speak.

Thanks!
jcallanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:11 AM   #2
Tangent_

My Ride: '01 330i
Re: Drive Belts Exploded, Wiring Harness Damaged - Help!

Just dealt with those wires an hour ago actually. The wires that are in the same harness as connects to the thermostat includes the ones for the exhaust side cam position sensor and vanos solenoid.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-07-2013, 08:31 AM   #3
jcallanan

Thanks - Sounds like they would keep the car from starting. Waiting to finally get it flat-bedded home and I'll re-assemble the harness and see if that does it. I'll check for codes and post a pic or two when I get it back.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:54 AM   #4
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Where I give Real World advice and don't just criticize others. People here need to RESPECT other's opinions!
My Ride: 03 325iT SportWagon
Your car will not start until you check the Captain's fuses. The Captain's fuses are the 5 fuses located in the E-box. You shorted out some sensors which causes the fuses to blow.

Re-splice your wires.

Engine swap, HG, tranny swap, GM & ZF tranny rebuilds, shocks, struts, brakes, WPs, Thermostats, belts, tensioners, fuel pumps, radiators, window regs, hoses, PS pump, Spark Plugs, VCGs, coils, fuel filters, CVVs, VANOS seals, rack, LCABs, Exp. Tanks, OFHGs, RCABs, OP, boots, ABS, GUIDOs, starter, A/C, DISA, Diff, SAP

Ultra Premium Grand 10 Star+ Super Duper BMW-pedic Sport Plus +++
BMWCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:22 PM   #5
jcallanan

Thanks Captain - two fuses were in fact blown - one 30A and one 20A. I replaced them and it started - which was great, but after I put the air filter cover back on and wrapped up all the wires with a plastic jacket, shut the hood and started it, it wouldn't idle, the ABS light stayed on as well as the rear brake light bulb-out display in the dash, and it quickly stalled. One thing I thought of was when re-splicing the wires, I matched up everything - but there were three wires that were red with a white stripe. So I tried every possible combination of the three - but sill had the same problem. Starts, rough idle, stalls. ABS light on.

It's throwing just one code: 1519 - which I have never seen before. Researching it now, but any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:35 PM   #6
jcallanan

So I see a P1519 has to do with the Vanos. I replaced the Vanos seals last winter and I also replaced the oil seperator and thoroughly cleaned the throttle body over the winter and it's been running great - so I have to assume this is all related the the harness being damaged. Would the damaged harness cause the sensors they are connected to to fail? As I mentioned, two of the fuses did blow.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:43 PM   #7
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Where I give Real World advice and don't just criticize others. People here need to RESPECT other's opinions!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcallanan View Post
Thanks Captain - two fuses were in fact blown - one 30A and one 20A. I replaced them and it started - which was great, but after I put the air filter cover back on and wrapped up all the wires with a plastic jacket, shut the hood and started it, it wouldn't idle, the ABS light stayed on as well as the rear brake light bulb-out display in the dash, and it quickly stalled. One thing I thought of was when re-splicing the wires, I matched up everything - but there were three wires that were red with a white stripe. So I tried every possible combination of the three - but sill had the same problem. Starts, rough idle, stalls. ABS light on.

It's throwing just one code: 1519 - which I have never seen before. Researching it now, but any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Your welcome.

You should clear your code each time you do something to see if in fact the code is really occurring or was a previous error.

Yes, a wire being cut will give you this code because when the car is turned on it checks the sensors and if it can't communicate it will set the error code.

I will look at the wires and see where the red ones go to.

Engine swap, HG, tranny swap, GM & ZF tranny rebuilds, shocks, struts, brakes, WPs, Thermostats, belts, tensioners, fuel pumps, radiators, window regs, hoses, PS pump, Spark Plugs, VCGs, coils, fuel filters, CVVs, VANOS seals, rack, LCABs, Exp. Tanks, OFHGs, RCABs, OP, boots, ABS, GUIDOs, starter, A/C, DISA, Diff, SAP

Last edited by BMWCaptain; 07-07-2013 at 06:57 PM.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:53 PM   #8
BMWCaptain

The red/white wires is in fact 12v power from the fuses, so it does not matter which they are connected to.

Check you wire connections and especially any relating to you vanos solenoids.

Can you verify continuity on your connections for the solenoids?

Last edited by BMWCaptain; 07-07-2013 at 07:18 PM.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:16 PM   #9
jcallanan

Great - thanks for checking that I really appreciate it. I did get it running - turns out one additional plug had popped under the manifold. I plugged that back in and it idles fine now. Only remaining problem is the ABS light stays on. I need to figure out what is causing that.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:41 PM   #10
BMWCaptain

Great news!

Clean your abs sensor at the wheels.

Get PA scanner v1.4 to read and clear codes.

Tags
belts, harness, wiring