E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-25-2009, 04:10 PM   #21
BmwAudio32

My Ride: 2004 Imola 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXMaGNUSXx View Post
Hey awesome guide. Thanks! This was my second EVER, I.C.E. related install.

I installed my Sirius InV SV2-TK1 this weekend using this guide. I have an E46 Vert and I didn't want to install the antenna on my trunk lid and take my rear seats and interior panel trim off, so I put the antenna on my dash instead (with some double sided tape) and ran the wire on the right side of the dash and around/behind the glove box. I get 2-3 bars here in SoCal.

I used wire taps to tap into the power (purple) and ground wires (brown) in the center console. I also have the Dice Silverline and used the aux input for the Sat. receiver. I used an aux cable with a 90 degree connector on one end and everything fit perfect.

The only things pending is activating the unit (Sirius was doing maintenance this weekend) and putting some foam backing on the Sat. receiver to prop it up.

A few things I noticed:

1. The Sirius InV SV2-TK1 unit has vents on the outter edge of the unit. If it's in the ashtray, the vents are somewhat blocked and the air has nowhere to go.
2. Prior to install, I disconnected my (-) battery terminal and reconnected it after the install and now I can no longer see the text on my Nav from my iPod via Dice module.
3. I have the SMG transmission and the shift knob popped right up, just like the manual shift knob shown in this install.
4. Tools that were handy: fish tape, body trim remover tool (to pry certain pieces open to run the wires), hooks and picks, and the BMW flash light.
You have to turn text back on the DICE. I think you tune to CD-6, then put it to track 99, then go back to CD-1. Now go back once more to CD-6, except this time it should tune to track 1 and you want to leave it there. Go back to CD-1 and text will be turned back on.
BmwAudio32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 04:59 PM   #22
synn21588

My Ride: 2004 325ci
Ok after sitting and staring at my center console for about 10 minutes i had an idea!

I followed this guide similarly and relocated my sirius unit. I popped off the shift knob and shift boot and did some thinking. I already had mounted my antenna on the rear deck where the middle child seat anchor is. the metal underneath is magnetic so if you want to put it there, just remove the mount and stick the antenna on.

I ran the antenna wire up the passenger side of the car, under the door a panels, under the dash, and back up towards the console and underneath the shift area of the console. I popped out the ash tray and ran the power wire and the antenna wire through the open hole into the shift area. To mount my unit, i used the A/C vent clips and shoved it down in between the ash tray cover and the mini control area, then adjusted the bar on the bottom to keep in place, connected the wires, and voila, i'm finally satisfied as to where it sits!! The whole process only took me 10 minutes because i already had the wires running. if i didn't i'd imagine only 30 minutes to completion.

Here are pics of what i had before!

And this is afterwards!

synn21588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:09 AM   #23
BeaMerWorld

My Ride: E46 M3 Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewLFD View Post
Well I've gotten a few PMs about more detailed instructions, so here it is;

Pull off the shift knob, just pull straight up and it will pop off and you see this:

Then carefully pry the edges of the shift boot off so you see this:

Now you will want to pull off the plastic/wood surrounding piece by removing the two screws at the bottom. Also make sure to disconnect both sides of window switches:

And tug on the foam surround to remove it:

Then remove the cupholder/coin tray:

Then remove the ashtray and run the two wires to the sirius unit through the bottom hole (antenna wire and power wire) and route them by the shift lever:

Now because the antenna wire was going to the back of the car, I ran that following the carpet wire into the trunk (also have to remove the rear seat). It's kinda hard to tell, but I ran the power/ground (black/white) wires over the shift housing but under the cup holder tray.

Now it's time to hook up power, so you will need a 12v adaptor that looks like this:

It will have a red (power) and a black (ground) wire coming off of it. We are going to be drawing power from the phone pre-wire. Ground will be a brown wire in a two wire harness like this:

I connected them using a wire tap so I didn't cut up the factory harness:

Power should be a few purple wires with a black tape cover wrapping them up:

Once those wires are hooked up, plug in the Sirius 12v plug into your plug and try to place it behind the E-brake so it will be out of the way of the cupholder:

Now once you have the antenna wire in the trunk area, put the supplied double side tape on the bottom of the antenna and work it up one of the structural holes in the trunk.

I originally routed my wire through the baffles wrapped in fabric tape, but I removed it all and routed it the cheesy way so you can see what I mean:

Now turn on the ignition and make sure everything works while you connect to Sirius and get your confirmation. Then once your sure everything works you can put it all back together.

For the sound input, my '01 didn't have an AUX input either, but since I have the DICE iPod adaptor I could just use that. The only problem with that way is that you have to cut out some of the ash tray housing to fit the AUX wire...I don't like cutting so I just use the FM Transmitter. I tried using both the AUX wire through DICE and the FM transmitter and with strong FM signal I can' hear a difference. You just have to find a strong FM channel (you can change the channel it transmitts on) that doesn't interfere with any other radio stations on your daily drive. Those are the only 2 ways to hook up sound.

The unit does not come with a remote and unfortunately the preset buttons are a bit hard to press. I only really listen to about 2 channels regularly so it's not a huge issue for me to change. The channel skip buttons are easy to press, it's just the preset ones that are hard.

Hope that helps you, let me know if you run into any snags.

Matt

MatthewLFD, Did you ever have issues with your unit going mute when the volume was turned up? I have the unit in the ash tray as you have (came with the car that way) and found out it was tapped into the disc changer's power harness in the trunk using a brown for ground, a green/red for power and yellow/red for switch. Works and powers up fine but the minute you turn the volume up somewhat loud it just goes mute and the info disappears on the screen of the sirius unit, it only shows the channel and its name but nothing else (i.e. 052 - Electric Area, "Blank/No description"). I am wondering if it has anything to do with the power connection and if I should change it to another source maybe like you have yours setup.
BeaMerWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:45 PM   #24
BM330

My Ride: BMW 330Ci
Send a message via Skype™ to BM330
Is it possible to connect it to ENCO b046 ?