E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 4.75 average. Display Modes
Old 01-26-2012, 11:38 PM   #41
Matthatter

My Ride: 2001 330ci
Unbelievable write-up. Thank you; will be doing this in the next week. Thank you for taking the time to do such a detailed write-up.
Matthatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:11 PM   #42
Matthatter

My Ride: 2001 330ci
Hey thanks a lot for the great write-up. Your step-by-step instructions with pics was very helpful.
Matthatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 04:47 PM   #43
Dizzydelli

My Ride: 2001 330Xi
Thanks so much for the write up. I searched a few different threads to figure this out since I could not find a DIY video for my specific car. I did watch a video just to familiarize myself with the names of different parts I've never heard of (yes, because I'm a woman, and I don't normally work on cars)! This took me about 2 hours, mainly because the oil filter lid was in the way and I didn't have a 36mm wrench to take it off. The allen wrench was too long and the space was real tight to get it turned to the next notch when removing the sensor. I was afraid I would strip the inside of the bolt. So I just went very slow and got it off.

I had no problem getting the vanos solenoid off. I did completely remove the air box, such a sinch (just two more bolts). I don't know How I would have ever been able to see, nor snake the new cable in with that air box still there.

My check engine light was not illuminated once I fired it back up and my car runs GREAT! I've put 85 miles on it (both hwy and through town)...no problems. THANKS SO MUCH!! (I'm copying this to the other thread I referred to as well).
Dizzydelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:38 PM   #44
xxilikericexx

My Ride: E36 M3, E46 325i
Should you replace this sensor only if the CEL is on for it? My car has stalled accelerating from a stop a few times but shows no fault codes at all. Would this be the only thing that could cause that? Id say the car stalls leaving a stop at least once or twice a month. Restarts with no issue.
xxilikericexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:08 PM   #45
xxilikericexx

My Ride: E36 M3, E46 325i
Any input?
xxilikericexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:22 PM   #46
deliroast

My Ride: '02 M3 vert
Send a message via Skype™ to deliroast
id say go ahead and replace both. i think i paid 100 for both intake and exhaust sensors from oembimmerparts. i got the unmarked ones but they were identical to the bmw ones except having the logo ground off
deliroast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:22 PM   #47
TR4G-

My Ride: '01 325xi
great thread! my CEL came on today, didn't even know my father had a nice OBD2 reader. Fired it up when i got home, P0344... i replaced my vanos seals a while back so this looks like a cake walk in comparison. Now I just need to buy the part. Driving up to CT on friday i hope my indy can get it within two days or so!

got the piece today! $120 from my mechanic. Ugh... but I got it that afternoon, so worth it. (posted this yesterday)... however now i dont have a 32mm wrench and neither does sears... holla

finished (day after that). 1 and a 1/4 works (31.9999mm). Borrowed it from a dude at work. That screw was a ***** to get out. It difficult to feed the sensor through the original path without removing anything, or risking breaking parts with your hands. Instead, I fed the sensor wire an alternate path with zipties to keep it with similar wires. Then I cut the old wire in half, it was way to hard to reverse feed it. I didn't use loctite on the screw though...

Last edited by TR4G-; 07-19-2012 at 12:20 AM.
TR4G- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:24 AM   #48
swordsman11868

My Ride: 2003 325i
Thumbs Up Cam sensor and Vanos Solenoid O-rings...

for a great DIY!

Ok, here's my question:

Today I noticed a tiny layer of engine oil on the back of my Cam Position Sensor. (I have no SES codes tho). I assume this oil is from a faulty O-Ring that the CPS uses.

Can I just replace the CPS O-ring?

Second: I noticed in the OP's photo #5 (on the first post) that there is an O-Ring inside the Vanos Solenoid (control valve).

Should I also replace that O-Ring at the same time since it has to come out anyway? Anyone know the part number? (Bentley manual not very helpful).

Thanks!
Happy wrenching!

-Dan
Old 10-27-2012, 03:13 PM   #49
btchnzhp

My Ride: 04 330i
intake camshaft sensor failure symptoms

Great post! It really helped me do this fix.

Swapping the sensor seems to have fixed my car's issues (04 330i ZHP, 6-speed manual). It took a loooooong time to determine what was causing my problems since I was unable to find another post that listed the same symptoms. They might be a little different for a manual transmission. I'll list my symptoms below in case anybody else has them too. I think my car had a sensor that was partially functional, but slowly degraded over time.
  • No engine error codes appeared.
  • Accelerating between 2500 and 4500 RPM, the power from the engine would fluctuate about 2 times per second, causing a jerking sensation.
  • The engine ran relatively well at low and high RPM's, probably because the computer was fully advancing or retarding the cam's timing and didn't depend as much on the positioning sensor at those RPM's.
  • The idle was slightly rougher than it should have been, but not obviously bad.
  • On warm days, the engine would occasionally stall when idling.
  • The symptoms didn't seem to be as bad when the car was warming up. They appeared when the engine reached running temperature.
  • The symptoms were worse in warm weather. I first noticed them on a 95+ degree day.
btchnzhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:57 AM   #50
npackman

My Ride: 2002 325i
Just finished this DIY and taking the car for a test drive. My car would sometimes throw the P0304 error code, along with stalling when idling or accelerating from idle. Sometimes the CEL would go away and the car would run fine for a week or more.
Replaced with eBay $11 sensor. ( Bought 2 just in case ) So far, all is good....see if it lasts...

Thanks for the helpful DIY.
npackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:28 PM   #51
AJCheetah

My Ride: 2001 325i
HEY GUYS.....haha...So, I uh broke the bolt of when I was doing the exhaust side and the top of the bolt was on the wrenc and the rest of the bolt was in the hole where it was to be screwed in. What should I do? DO I need to get someone to drill out the bolt and then put in a new screw altogether? Will it leak if I drrive it around? If I put sealant around the edges to prevent leaking will that help? ts pretty snug in there so how much should I worry. Either way, I'd still be kinda skeptical to drive it around knowing that one bolt is missing somewhere in my engine.... Do I buy a new Engine lmao??!!??

PLEASE HELP!?!!?? :-/
AJCheetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:43 PM   #52
The Thomas J

My Ride: 2002 325Cic
Re: DIY: Camshaft Intake Sensor ULTIMATE GUIDE *PICS*

I lost my bolt for that one as well. Its a pretty snug fit without the bolt. I never got around to putting a new bolt in & so far no leak, i check it now & than & considering that the sensor is mounted on the front of the motor its never fallen out or become lose & it's just about a year since I changed it.

So u should b ok. Just get a new torx bolt next time u go by BMW.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-02-2013, 10:28 AM   #53
CharlzO

My Ride: 2000 328ci
Great write-up indeed! Took about 15-20 minutes to run through, having all the tools at the read (10mm for the 2 Airbox bolts, 13mm for the 2 Oil Filter housing bolts, and a 32mm for the Vanos solenoid, and a 5mm allen for the sensor itself). Only issue I had was that the replacement sensor wasn't tapered like the stock, so it did take a few more pushes to seat it fully. Started right up, gonna test for drive factor on the way to work!
CharlzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:57 PM   #54
swordsman11868

My Ride: 2003 325i
DIY: Camshaft Intake Sensor ULTIMATE GUIDE *PICS*

Great write up OP.

Car stalled the other day so I decided to do this. Also had a bouncing idle but not so bad as to throw a code.

Bentley has a great vid on YouTube on how to test the sensor if you have an O scope. I don't so I just replaced it.

Glad I did! No more bouncing idle - the needle doesn't move once it reaches where it wants to be. Power on acceleration from a stop seems better also. No more hesitation.

2003 325i Auto 133k miles.

Dan

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-28-2013, 03:24 PM   #55
JHalleck

My Ride: 2000 323it

Intake sensor replacement and my problem is the connector will not line up under the intake. It looks the same but will not go in. The old one will go in and out but this one does nothing. Any ideas?

JHalleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:59 PM   #56
JHalleck

Fixed it. Had to wiggle it ALOT

Old 08-01-2013, 06:17 PM   #57
JHalleck

Still broke. Hmm

Old 08-10-2013, 06:39 AM   #58
vman88888

My Ride: 2001 330Ci 5mt
wow this part is like 11 dollars now on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cam-Camshaft...-/121034228816

Edit: just saw this is from hong kong which explains why its cheap

Last edited by vman88888; 08-10-2013 at 06:40 AM.
vman88888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:06 AM   #59
qthegenius

My Ride: E36 M3, E46 323i
I did this yesterday in about 30 minutes. I just took off the oil filter housing cap and that gave me room to get to the bolt that holds in the sensor. Also to everyone above who asks about that gasket/seal... YES, replace it if you're already replacing the sensor. It costs a dollar at most.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:59 AM   #60
stapler12345

My Ride: Sakhir Orange M6
Bought both camshaft sensors on ebay. $9 each. 9 months later (today), I have to swap both out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin Koolaid View Post
I've never heard of a woman wanting more than she actually deserved. Never.
stapler12345 is offline   Reply With Quote