E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2013, 07:51 PM   #1
OutSyder

My Ride: E46 325ci vert
swirls

I have a sapphire black 325 ci and I've been considering getting the car detailed to remove swirls and such. I've taken it to 3 shops. 2 of them told me the swirls would re-appear in a few months and 1 guy said they would not come back. Who is right?

Heres and example of the swirls on the trunk. Thanks for any info.

_a_
OutSyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:56 PM   #2
35mphgolf

My Ride: 2004 Imola Red ZHP
A good dual action buffer with a polishing compound should do the trick. I've got Wolfgangs swirl remover and just removed all the swirls from my trunk this afternoon... Also make sure you have the right pad to go with your buffer

DIY, it'll cost the same or less and you can do it again in the future and save cash. Don't be afraid to try if you haven't done it... Today was my first time ever and I'm more than pleased with the results!
35mphgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:15 PM   #3
CharlzO

My Ride: 2000 328ci
Well, I'm certainly no expert, but my guess is that the time it would take to come back, is going to depend on how you care for your freshly-detailed car. I imagine certain washing products and techniques probably lend to more swirl marks than others. But, that's speculation, so I'll gladly let someone with more experience chime in while I sit back and take notes!
CharlzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:31 PM   #4
scrace

My Ride: 03.5 M3
If you drive or touch the car you will scratch it over time. There are plenty of techniques to minimize swirls and scratches while washing. Unless its a show car, I recommend polishing once a year, using a clay car twice a year and washing when you want. Just make sure you use proper rinse less wash or two bucket wash technique.

The base coat, clear coat system is scratch sensitive. It's unavoidable if you use the car.

2001 Topaz Blue 325Ci 64-120k miles SOLD
2003.5 Silver Gray M3 70k miles
scrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:53 PM   #5
BKM3

My Ride: 1997 M3
To answer your question "who's right?", all three might be right. The first two guys you talked to might just use a glaze which is full of fillers to hide these defects, the third guy might properly polish out the defects. The use of glaze to hide these swirls will eventually wear/wash off and they'll be back, maybe after two or ten washes that is kind of an unknown. If you have it properly polished out by using a good clear coat safe compound and/or polish they'll actually be removed and not come back. If you don't maintain/ wash the car properly they will come back but not these same marks (which are hard to see in the pic and actually look like buffer trails from an improper polish) but new "different" swirls will appear. Black is a full time chore to maintain.

If you want to pay someone to do it go back to the third guy and ask/tell him exactly what you asked about here, ask him what products he'd use and confirm he's not going to use a glaze to hide the swirls. The cost of one good detail is the same if not more than buying your own dual action polisher, various pads, compound and polish if your so inclined and is quite rewarding. Take a look at the forum sponsor's page for ideas.

BK
BKM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:45 AM   #6
scrace

My Ride: 03.5 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKM3 View Post
To answer your question "who's right?", all three might be right. The first two guys you talked to might just use a glaze which is full of fillers to hide these defects, the third guy might properly polish out the defects. The use of glaze to hide these swirls will eventually wear/wash off and they'll be back, maybe after two or ten washes that is kind of an unknown. If you have it properly polished out by using a good clear coat safe compound and/or polish they'll actually be removed and not come back. If you don't maintain/ wash the car properly they will come back but not these same marks (which are hard to see in the pic and actually look like buffer trails from an improper polish) but new "different" swirls will appear. Black is a full time chore to maintain.

If you want to pay someone to do it go back to the third guy and ask/tell him exactly what you asked about here, ask him what products he'd use and confirm he's not going to use a glaze to hide the swirls. The cost of one good detail is the same if not more than buying your own dual action polisher, various pads, compound and polish if your so inclined and is quite rewarding. Take a look at the forum sponsor's page for ideas.

BK
Those are definitely buffer trails or holograms left from improper use of a rotary buffer. They are probably over the entire car.

2001 Topaz Blue 325Ci 64-120k miles SOLD
2003.5 Silver Gray M3 70k miles
scrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:59 AM   #7
35mphgolf

My Ride: 2004 Imola Red ZHP
Interesting - didn't know glazes only hid defects... that's lame. I clayed, polished (swirl remover), glazed, waxed....
35mphgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:53 PM   #8
OutSyder

My Ride: E46 325ci vert
Great info, thanks for the replies
OutSyder is offline   Reply With Quote